Author Topic: JH needs local leadership  (Read 3458 times)

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
JH needs local leadership
« on: July 18, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
Returned after a month away.  My god, JH is disgusting. What happened?
-Drunks seem to be everywhere, they are permanent fixtures around those new LINk NY kiosks
-Fuck covid  shark graffiti everywhere.
-Homeless encampments at the post office.
-Streets are repulsive with garbage and waste.
I would be embarrassed to have someone visit me here. 

How does this happen?  Do are elected officials do anything?  Or do they just care of national politics?

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
Re: JH needs local leadership
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 12:31:34 PM »
Best buckle up then. You ain't seen nothing yet. when the economy really crashes in the next few months, we'll have hoovervilles/trumpvilles everywhere, including JH.

Offline Heightsman

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 03:06:57 PM »
Hi I was walking on 82nd street to the train the other day and the sidewalk was trashed! I’ve never seen it that bad. It was littered with paper, torn up lotto tickets, plastic bags and more. That was after I passed the 3 homeless men that sleep by RiteAid. Such a depressing way to start the day....
Maybe the increase of street venders is the cause?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
lotto tickets, cigarette butts and plastic bags don't come from street vendors. and you can't blame street vendors for homelessness, either.

as Lalochezia says, this is just the beginning of a Depression, not a recovery from a "recession." and it's worse in smaller/mid-size towns in states where the economy is even worse. we do need to buckle up.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 04:16:04 PM »
Using the economy is a weak excuse.  I shouldn’t have to buckle up and expect a trashed neighborhood.  A large part of our high taxes goes to police and municipals.  We should expect clean and safe streets.  If we don’t have them, then we don’t have proper leadership advocating for them. 

Nothing has changed in funding.  Our taxes remain the same.

I have been to a few neighborhoods in Long Island and upstate NY this past month.  The economy sucks there as well.  But all of them have been clean and well maintained.  Very unlike here

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 04:32:58 PM »
Using the economy is a weak excuse.  I shouldn’t have to buckle up and expect a trashed neighborhood.  A large part of our high taxes goes to police and municipals.  We should expect clean and safe streets.  If we don’t have them, then we don’t have proper leadership advocating for them. 

I have been to a few neighborhoods in Long Island and upstate NY this past month.  The economy sucks there as well.  But all of them have been clean and well maintained.  Very unlike here

I agree. Poor folks can be clean and not litter. Especially since we will all become poor folks now.

Folks who don't care about their community trash and litter. 

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:36:18 PM »

$9 Billion was the projection at (the end of this may)  in annual loss to the city from reduced revenues. The actual loss will be worse than that.

The fact that you pay the same in taxes is neither here nor there.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 05:29:39 PM »
 It would be great if once or twice a week, people picked up some trash. David Sedaris has done this in the English countryside where he was upset at the litter he found. It can be therapeutic which might sound crazy to some but it's also being part of the solution. Use  gloves of course, and maybe a pair of tongs if you have some or one of those grabbers if you own that tool. Maybe bring along some water for the street trees and the median also.
  Happy picking!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »
in "normal" times, i've done this. first, around our building, then on the side street leading up to the next avenue. in a time when a deadly virus is spreading, i'm shying away -- gloves and all.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
82nd BID pays for cleaners to keep 82nd St clean. Hard to pay for this when your business has been closed.  Here's a thought. If you feel there's a lack of leadership, become a leader. Organize like-minded people to clean the streets, like JHBG does from time to time.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 07:32:56 AM »
we spend over 3 billion a year Of tax payer money  on homelessness.  I’ll pass on approaching them, it’s no tv my job. 

A local official advocating for our actual neighborhood would make sure we got some of that money and keep our streets safe and clean.

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 07:34:00 AM »
82nd BID pays for cleaners to keep 82nd St clean. Hard to pay for this when your business has been closed.  Here's a thought. If you feel there's a lack of leadership, become a leader. Organize like-minded people to clean the streets, like JHBG does from time to time.

I've been away as well and now your post is making me DREAD coming back. Especially since the day I left a drunk guy, right in the middle of 82nd street, stood up, unzipped his fly, pulled out his junk, and peed in the middle of the block. I am a life long new Yorker and I have never seen anything like that. My god, go turn to the corner at least.

Either way, I've been upstate as well and I wholeheartedly agree that these are some depressed communities as well and they are CLEAN. Not even a shred of paper on the ground. We can all do better. Hell, even the Renaissance Charter School absolutely TRASHES the corner of 82nd Street. I've made numerous complaints to elected officials that go unanswered.

If anyone is up for organizing litter pickup days, I would join you.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
 There is a cleanup organized to continue the cleaning of the litter on 69th Street.
Sanitation has been working there but more can be done. Meet on 69th Street this Saturday @9:00am and bring gloves and water. Nuala has organized this in response to so many people expressing concern about the trash.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
It seems like the complaint here is that our local leaders haven't planted a money tree grove in Travers Park to fund sanitation and homeless services in the neighborhood. Someone should get on top of that to fix the budget shortfall that inconvenient global pandemic caused.

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »
The complaint here is we have 100k tax paying citizens here in JH.  A large part of that tax revenue goes to homeless services.  So where is it?  Show me the money!  Or if you can’t then  get me a local leader that can advocate for local tax money to be used in the community. 

All of us have paid plenty in taxes to address this

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »