Author Topic: Pio Pio vs Riko  (Read 1937 times)

Offline jh_foodie

• Citizen
  • Lived here since: 1990
Pio Pio vs Riko
« on: July 08, 2020, 05:13:57 PM »
Which one do you guys prefer?

Also regarding Pio Pio why is the saffron rice reddish and not yellow?

Offline Ecrivain

• Citizen
Re: Pio Pio vs Riko
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:21:25 AM »
I don't know Riko but I wil mention that we are ardent El Pollo Inka loyalists. The food is better and cheaper than Pio Pio, and the atmosphere far more relaxed. A sleeper hit: the salmon with fresh spinach. Incredible value and handy if you are with someone who won't each chicken.

Offline Cookie0121

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
I also like Pollo Inka. Food just as good as Pio Pio and much less expensive. Their sangria is good too.

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
Re: Pio Pio vs Riko vs Pollo Inka
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 01:03:42 AM »
Pollo Inka has my vote as well.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
What is Riko? Is it El Rico Tinto maybe? I'm glad to hear about Pollo Inka--I'll look them up. Just tried Pollos a la Brasa Mario last week, and didn't like the chicken at all. The "best" roasted chicken place that was recommended to us when we moved here 9 years ago was on Roosevelt, but it is gone now--I don't even remember the name, it was takeout only I think. Any other recommendations?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 12:00:11 PM »
What is Riko? Is it El Rico Tinto maybe? I'm glad to hear about Pollo Inka--I'll look them up. Just tried Pollos a la Brasa Mario last week, and didn't like the chicken at all. The "best" roasted chicken place that was recommended to us when we moved here 9 years ago was on Roosevelt, but it is gone now--I don't even remember the name, it was takeout only I think. Any other recommendations?

I think it's this place  http://rikoperuviancuisine.com/

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »
On DoorDash El Pollo Inka Peru appears to be "closed temporarily"? Have they been delivering?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 12:52:54 PM »
On DoorDash El Pollo Inka Peru appears to be "closed temporarily"? Have they been delivering?

I have found lately that when I see "closed temporarily" online that it's not necessarily accurate. Twice I reported businesses I knew to be open to Google so they could change the info from closed to open. I don't think it's good for a business to be showing as closed on Google, so when I see that info, and I know for a fact it's open, I do try to make the report.

I suggest just calling the restaurant to ask. Their Yelp page shows that in late May, they posted an update to say they were now open for takeout and delivery.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/el-pollo-inka-peru-jackson-heights

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 02:10:00 PM »
I know it's not one of the choices but I love Casa de Pollo

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Warique.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »
Wow I didn't realize there were so many Peruvian options! I'm thinking of trying Warique--very good reviews.

Offline jh_foodie

• Citizen
  • Lived here since: 1990
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
My summary would be

Riko-best sauces, good all around
Pio Pio-love the saffron rice, good all around
El Pollo Inka- best chicken , garlic sauce is good but rice is usually undercooked
El Casa del Pollo-good ribs, best beans, sauce is underwhelming (taste and quantity)
Warique-love the combo with fried rice and plantains, spiciest sauce, also great

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the mini review JH Foodie! Tried Warique last night and we were very pleased. Loved the chicken and green sauce. We also ordered maduros, delicious, the salsa criolla, very good, and a fish filet with rice and fried yuca. The rice was supposed to be yellow rice, but they sent white, and I don't understand the appeal of yuca--but overall we will definitely order again. And now I want to try the others on your list--already have tried Pio Pio and was looking for other options. Riko and El Pollo Inka next. (In the time of covid, what to have for dinner takes on outsized importance.)

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 12:32:21 PM »
https://www.yelp.com/biz/peking-bbq-woodside

Chicken from this place is good but pick up only and there are often long lines. Have not been since the pandemic so not sure how they're dealing with safety.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »
FYI--though Doordash said El Pollo Inka Peru would deliver to us, it also said they were closed temporarily. But when I called, they are open and they do deliver, but when I told her my address she said no, I'm too far away. I'm on 76 St between 35th and 37th. Surprised--I think she said they only deliver within 10 blocks. Again--surprised!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 06:12:56 PM »