Author Topic: Assisted living/retirement communities  (Read 435 times)

Offline dotley

• Council Member
Assisted living/retirement communities
« on: May 03, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
I am researching the above for a couple who due to this pandemic are reassessing their living arrangements.  Has anyone had an experience in this area? Where and how do I start?   Either positive or negative.  I would appreciate any insight.  thanks

Offline hfm

• Mayor
Re: Assisted living/retirement communities
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:35:04 PM »
I am researching the above for a couple who due to this pandemic are reassessing their living arrangements.  Has anyone had an experience in this area? Where and how do I start?   Either positive or negative.  I would appreciate any insight.  thanks

I think some of those communities are the hardest hit right now, it might not be a great time to do that unless there's few options.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »
Agree with this is not a good time. My mother-in-law, age 92, filed an application for an assisted living place just before the pandemic hit, and we are very grateful she is not there now. It's a more dangerous environment vis-a-vis the virus, the residents are confined to their rooms now, with meals dropped off at their door, no social life at all, and they cannot receive visitors. Like being in jail! Much better to find someone to come in and help, daily if necessary. Which is still happening even now--I know a few people who have elderly parents who have aides that come in to assist every day.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:46:09 PM »