Author Topic: Street Closings  (Read 4312 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Street Closings
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
and, since we live in the brave new world of food delivery, it would effectively end those restaurants' ability to use UberEats, DoorDash etc. i don't use them, personally, but i've seen that a lot of people do. same with businesses like furniture stores and some supermarkets that use delivery vehicles. yes, they could triple park on the side streets, but most people who live on those streets could object.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2020, 08:25:06 AM »
 The 34th Ave closings are welcome for a time but you have to realize how much traffic - both vehicular and cyclists- regularly use this street! No one seems to have told the cyclists that the long running bike lanes are gone! They are still using them at high speeds as they have for decades. Also the street closures ( Northern and 37th Aves) on some weekend evenings could be an easier ask. Let's spread around the closures so one area is not overwhelmed by the shutdown and that the commercial venues get the street traffic that could be gained by the extra space that allows social distancing. Win, win.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2020, 02:20:38 PM »
Are you certain the bike lanes are gone?  That section of 34th Avenue is closed to cars.  I have not seen any information that says the bike lanes along that stretch should not be used by cyclists.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2020, 12:39:23 PM »
I have mixed feelings about this.  It’s good for social distancing. I use the bike lanes and found it difficult to maneuver. Baby carriages, people playing with their kids were doing so in the lanes, which at times made it hazardous. I also saw kids running through the flower beds planted in the median.As a driver, I also noticed that Northern was really congested I and despite parking restrictions drivers were parked and doubled parked along Northern.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2020, 06:22:46 AM »
Are you certain the bike lanes are gone?  That section of 34th Avenue is closed to cars.  I have not seen any information that says the bike lanes along that stretch should not be used by cyclists.

You can use the bike lanes, but you gotta keep it to 5 MPH or under. I think if you want more than a leisurely bike ride, it would be wise to go elsewhere. There's kids playing hop scotch and riding their little bikes in the street. Pedestrians aren't keeping out of the bike lane (I've made this mistake and do my best to stay out of the lane so cyclists have someplace to ride unobstructed).

Common sense would dictate that people use the median divided road just like traffic - keep to the right, stay out of the bike lane. And the folks setting up the barriers wouldn't put them in the bike lane. But, as they say, common sense is in such short supply it should be deemed a superpower.

Offline jo3boxer

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2020, 08:35:16 PM »
if you're a kid learning to ride/riding with a parent walking next you, it should be fine to use 34th ave during the car closures.

if you're in full kit and dodging pedestrians and barricades, you're clearly there to show off your spandex. pick another street, another bike lane. biking on 34th is not enjoyable.

the same should be the case for runners not wearing masks. why would you come to a place populated with people when you can run on an empty street all over the rest of the neighborhood. super inconsiderate.

Offline Benoit

• Citizen
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2020, 10:19:40 PM »
Why are they allowing people to congregate on 34th Ave, Without social distancing, as I have seen every day since they have closed  the streets. But you’re not allowed to congregate in Travers Park? And what’s up with the bike lanes on 34th, are they still bike lanes? As far as I know, they still are. And the people should stay off of them. And people, when you’re crossing the streets you still have to look at the lights because traffic is still coming the other way. And if you want to run without a mask that’s fine, just stay 6 feet away for me and we won’t have a problem

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2020, 04:58:39 PM »
Why are they allowing people to congregate on 34th Ave, Without social distancing, as I have seen every day since they have closed  the streets.

I think you might be occupying an alternate universe (where time runs backwards maybe?). People mostly walk and keep their distance from one another.

Offline Benoit

• Citizen
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2020, 05:25:41 PM »
I’m not sure what universe you’re from, but I have a window looking out 34th Ave.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2020, 08:10:51 AM »
 Traffic on Northern Blvd was very bad yesterday around 5:00. It took 20 minutes to get through
about 1 mile of Jackson Heights. The Open Streets program has to take a look at the impact on
the other avenues at different times of day before something goes off here. Any traffic analysts
out there?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2020, 11:01:33 AM »
we live on 35th avenue, and i expected a huge uptick in traffic, but haven't seen one yet, thank goodness.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2020, 05:05:13 PM »
we live on 35th avenue, and i expected a huge uptick in traffic, but haven't seen one yet, thank goodness.

Ditto. 35th is pretty quiet.

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2020, 07:53:09 PM »
I rode my bike through Sunnyside over the weekend and I came across two streets that were "closed" to vehicles, 39th Ave. and a section of Skillman Ave. "Closed" is in quotes as there were plenty of cars weaving in and out of the barriers. There were also very few people making use of the street closures on a beautiful day. A big difference from the large number of people making use of 34th Ave. during the vehicle closure here in Jackson Heights. The difference demonstrates how badly we need something like this.

Has anyone else seen how other neighborhoods are utilizing the closures (or not).

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »
I was also in Sunnyside this weekend, and I had a similar impression.  I didn't see any cars driving on the "open streets" (as the city calls them), but I didn't see anybody walking on them either.   A big contrast with Jackson Heights, where I saw people of all ages enjoying the additional open space.

Offline Yankswun98

• Resident
  • Lived here since: 2019
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »
34th is packed with people to the point where social distancing is not happening.  The garbage is beginning to pile up on the median and on both sides of the street.  Cars need to be moved and sweeping must occur on both sides.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 09:57:28 PM »