Author Topic: should I be wearing a mask?  (Read 7075 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: should I be wearing a mask?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 03:19:06 PM »
the CDC says you should absolutely wear a mask.

the WHO says you should absolutely not wear a mask.

just remember that there are a limited number of masks out there, and a lot of people who desperately need them going without.

Offline Beherenow

• Citizen
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
The NY Post article links to the original source in USA Today which is more balanced as it provides other viewpoints:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/

I've been running regularly as well for both physical and mental health. I think the benefit outweighs the risk as I believe the threat is very low outdoors. I'm mindful what of what I touch of course!

This thread has prompted me to be more cautious but...still believe it's ok to go outside.   I think it was the Boston Globe that broke this story in the popular press.  It's behind a pay wall (although you should be able to get a few articles for free).  The most telling quote for me:

"Our exhalations — even if we’re not coughing or sneezing — can still contain a gas cloud of viral particles. And a particularly powerful sneeze can send these particles, both in droplets and in a puff of gas traveling through the air, flying much farther than six feet. Under the right conditions, they can go 23 to 27 feet, Bourouiba has found...

...There’s not enough data to definitively say what distance is safe. But in the meantime, people can be cautious in public....`When possible, if it’s a confined space, then maintaining larger distances would be wise,' Bourouiba said."

This indicates that much more caution is necessary in indoor public spaces. So I'll be even more hesitant to go food shopping. But for the time being, the benefits of going outside for a little while each day still outweigh the risks.

Here's the Globe article: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/31/nation/six-foot-rule-protect-against-coronavirus-is-questionable-mit-professor-says/

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 04:02:42 PM »
The NY Post article links to the original source in USA Today which is more balanced as it provides other viewpoints:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/

I've been running regularly as well for both physical and mental health. I think the benefit outweighs the risk as I believe the threat is very low outdoors. I'm mindful what of what I touch of course!

This thread has prompted me to be more cautious but...still believe it's ok to go outside.   I think it was the Boston Globe that broke this story in the popular press.  It's behind a pay wall (although you should be able to get a few articles for free).  The most telling quote for me:

"Our exhalations — even if we’re not coughing or sneezing — can still contain a gas cloud of viral particles. And a particularly powerful sneeze can send these particles, both in droplets and in a puff of gas traveling through the air, flying much farther than six feet. Under the right conditions, they can go 23 to 27 feet, Bourouiba has found...

...There’s not enough data to definitively say what distance is safe. But in the meantime, people can be cautious in public....`When possible, if it’s a confined space, then maintaining larger distances would be wise,' Bourouiba said."

This indicates that much more caution is necessary in indoor public spaces. So I'll be even more hesitant to go food shopping. But for the time being, the benefits of going outside for a little while each day still outweigh the risks.

Here's the Globe article: https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/31/nation/six-foot-rule-protect-against-coronavirus-is-questionable-mit-professor-says/

Look what happened at a Washington state choir rehearsal -- even though they were supposedly practicing certain coronavirus-era restrictions like not shaking hands. The rehearsal was slightly before many state-wide restrictions were put into place. https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/washington-choir-rehearsal-turns-deadly-after-coronavirus-kills-2/

Offline badperson

• Resident
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
I have been going outside regularly, trying to do my grocery shopping at low traffic hours, between 8 and 9. A neighbor gave me a surgical mask, and I bought ten more at the surgical supply place across from elmhurst hospital.

My basic take is that the masks do more to protect others than they protect the wearer. I think they do provide some minimal protection, but it's like 70% protect others, 30% protect yourself. I'm mainly wearing them because everyone else is.

Also, my 2 cents re going outdoors...I've read that it's ok as long as you stay away from others. I think being in a crowded indoor space for an extended period is where it's potentially a real problem. I think there is very little risk in simply passing people on the street, maybe a bit riskier passing people in the aisle in a grocery store, but still not terrible.

i have now also taken to wearing gloves every time I leave the house...I don't want to touch the elevator buttons or anything else and either infect or get infected

Offline Garsleat

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 09:36:13 PM »
Where's a good place for jogging?

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2020, 10:45:49 PM »
Don't confuse airborne with suspension. The virus is not airborne. Go outside, but masking would be advisable.
Here's an NIH study on the topic published NEJM on Mar.9th.  https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.09.20033217v1.full.pdf

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2020, 11:11:01 PM »
https://aiki.info/masks/?fbclid=IwAR32Or6JsdJuJ73RsaT1sHLI_yTDTvc2gidJ-957-vc4PPu2GExx_3xy_8g

Here’s a link I ran across with a lot helpful details and info, including links to various studies, about masks. It has a chart embedded about the effectiveness of various materials for homemade ones.

Given that we’re in bit of a hot zone apparently, I’m relieved  to see so many people wearing them.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
Okay so now many or most people seem to be wearing masks. If you have the plain variety, not the N95, and you put it on to go to the supermarket--do you really discard it and wear a new one every time you leave your home? As far as I know, they are still in short supply, so what do you do? Is it better to use a scarf that you would then toss in the laundry every time you use it? Not asking for a friend.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2020, 04:42:21 PM »
https://aiki.info/masks/?fbclid=IwAR32Or6JsdJuJ73RsaT1sHLI_yTDTvc2gidJ-957-vc4PPu2GExx_3xy_8g

Here’s a link I ran across with a lot helpful details and info, including links to various studies, about masks. It has a chart embedded about the effectiveness of various materials for homemade ones.

Given that we’re in bit of a hot zone apparently, I’m relieved  to see so many people wearing them.

Wow, thanks. Finally some scientific info about masks/face coverings.

The fact we were not told to wear masks/face coverings early on has clearly aggravated the situation.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
Okay so now many or most people seem to be wearing masks. If you have the plain variety, not the N95, and you put it on to go to the supermarket--do you really discard it and wear a new one every time you leave your home? As far as I know, they are still in short supply, so what do you do? Is it better to use a scarf that you would then toss in the laundry every time you use it? Not asking for a friend.

If you have four of them, number them and wear them 1-4 on subsequent days. By day 4, #1 mask has been sitting for three days and should be free of the virus. I don’t know if this is scientifically sound advice. I read it in another forum.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »
If you wear a mask properly, you will protect other people from your germs. However, every time I've gone out, at least half the people are wearing their masks incorrectly. So, again, stay home as much as possible. There is no safe way to go out. Each time you go out you're risking exposure to a disease that is ordinarily deadly to 4% of the infected, but will become more lethal as our hospital system becomes overloaded. Veg out on the Internet for a few more weeks and you'll have plenty of time later to run these errands.

Offline ljr

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »
Running errands? I'm talking about buying food--my post mentioned going to the supermarket. Kind of a necessity. I have found it impossible to get food delivered now, because so many people are competing for the delivery spots and you cannot even place an order to be delivered a week or two later. And if you believe that merely going out of one's apartment for any reason is so dangerous, why are you doing it yourself? You mention what you see when you go out. And one more question: where are you getting your 4% mortality rate?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2020, 11:21:11 PM »
Mortality rate is 2% for 65+ or those with underlying conditions is what I have read.

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 11:51:46 PM »
I'm in no position to tell someone whether or not they should be wearing a mask in public. Recommendations from WHO and the CDC may change, but it's very much a personal decision at this time. I have noticed an increase of people wearing masks in the neighborhood, I think easily more than 50%.

I choose not to wear a mask for the following reasons:

1 - I've been spending more than 95% of each day alone inside. I go out to exercise and for groceries. If I suspect I'm sick, I'll be spending 100% of my time indoors.

2 - I've been keeping my distance from other people as much as possible the less than 5% of each day when I am in public. As we live in a crowded city, sometimes it's unavoidable to maintain 6ft from all people. On my runs, I've been running in the bike lane more to avoid the people on the sidewalks. I'm a biker too, so I know that's annoying and brings its own dangers. For now, it's what I do.

3 - I'm not considered a vulnerable population. Most likely if I do get COVID-19, I'll survive. Yes, I've heard the stories of the exceptions, but I'm not afraid. Don't even think of trying to scare me into wearing a mask! It won't work. If I decide to start wearing a mask, my decision won't be based on fear.

4 - Our medical workers and first responders do not have enough of the medical equipment they need, including masks. Without these heroic people, we are really screwed! If you have unused personal protective equipment, you can donate it to NYC hospitals here:
https://ppetonyc.wixsite.com/nycppe/

5 - I stay informed, but not consumed by the news. I avoid sensationalized news sources that take snippets of factual information and transform it into terrorizing stories that keep people clicking, reading, watching. I avoid news sources that value profit over the public good.

On Fresh Air today there was a good interview with The Atlantic writer, Ed Yong. It has something for mask wearers and non-wearers alike. It's worth a listen.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/fighting-covid-19-is-like-whack-a-mole-says-writer-who-warned-of-pandemic

Here is his very on-topic article: Everyone Thinks They're Right About Masks
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-airborne-go-outside-masks/609235/

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »
PS - I realize many of you mask wearers probably envision me like this:

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:39 PM »