Author Topic: should I be wearing a mask?  (Read 7060 times)

Offline badperson

• Resident
should I be wearing a mask?
« on: March 29, 2020, 04:27:01 PM »
i have not gotten any masks as the paper has said that 1) health workers need them (especially the N95 type) and that 2) they aren't that helpful, and 3) are more for the benefit of people around you rather than you yourself.

But walking out on the street, most people are wearing them. Will probably throw a scarf around my face in the short term, but are they for sale anywhere in the neighborhood? Maybe a dollar store?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Re: should I be wearing a mask?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
The thinking on this is changing because 1) you can be infected and asymptomatic (and thus still be spreading the virus to others without knowing); 2) given that your mouth is the largest penetration point on your exposed face, it makes sense to protect it, and 3) because they are increasingly credited with helping reduce the spread in Asia, where they have been mandated.

Of course, if this country was prepared and the CDC pandemic unit not been sacked by Trump, we wouldn't have to choose between our health and that of our health workers.

I bought masks by the piece from the medical supply store near the subway, though that was a while ago. There is a shortage so not sure where they have them right now.

If you wear a scarf, make sure to not reuse it without washing it.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:32:44 PM »
Sick people should wear masks to stop the spread of their respiratory fluids. Even better, stay home.
Masks would work for non-infected people if they wore them properly, but very few people do. They have to be worth with gloves and not removed and replaced, but tossed after each use. Since you can't really buy them anymore, the question is moot. If you can see there are instructions on the web for using filtrete air filters to create a possibly effective anti-viral mask and many people are in the process of making them for the health care workers.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:09:32 PM »
It is astounding to consider that maybe if we had been able to supply every man, woman and child in the USA with a special mask (an N-95 mask, for instance)...and gloves, early on... we might have spent, say, $500 Million. And possibly avoided this whole shutdown of the USA.

Instead  we are spending $2.2 Trillion and having to go through all of this...

But yes, the info concerning masks has been confusing. And seems to change day by day.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:17:47 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline passthekimchi

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
Yes, everyone should be wearing a mask. They are effective at helping to protect you, although not a silver bullet by any means.
It seems the communication early on was intentionally very misleading around masks, I think to ensure health care professionals had a supply.

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 12:46:47 AM »
Everyone should have been wearing a mask since late January. Even a bad mask will prevent you from touching your face and infecting yourself that way. A good mask (an N95 mask) will also prevent you from breathing in the virus.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
Even a bad mask will prevent you from touching your face and infecting yourself that way.
Not if you touch the mask, which untrained people do constantly. Stay home.

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:53:36 AM »
This piece by a research scientist ran in the Washington Post yesterday: "Simple DIY masks could help flatten the curve. We should all wear them in public."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/03/28/masks-all-coronavirus/

"When historians tally up the many missteps policymakers have made in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the senseless and unscientific push for the general public to avoid wearing masks should be near the top.
The evidence not only fails to support the push, it also contradicts it. It can take a while for official recommendations to catch up with scientific thinking. In this case, such delays might be deadly and economically disastrous. It’s time to make masks a key part of our fight to contain, then defeat, this pandemic. Masks effective at “flattening the curve” can be made at home with nothing more than a T-shirt and a pair of scissors. We should all wear masks — store-bought or homemade — whenever we’re out in public."

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
If you're looking for a simple handmade mask and don't have the skills or tools to make one yourself, consider supporting an artist/craftsperson on Etsy. There are a variety of masks available and you should be able to get one within a few days of ordering. https://www.etsy.com/market/masks

I bought one that says you can insert a filter. I haven't received it yet and am not sure what kind of filter to insert, but at least it's something.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 11:33:47 AM »
A bandana/seamless bandana is an option. It's a layer of protection mostly for other people. (we shouldn't be thinking about just ourselves). If you cough or sneeze, it helps stop you from sneezing on other people. They also remind you to not touch your face. I got a couple seamless bandanas (they market them for people who go to festivals to help with dusty air -- like Burning Man I guess) and wash with soap and water after each use.

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
Just wonder how everyone handling social distancing. If anyone still take a walk outside daily or time to time to get fresh air.

I been staying home for past 3 weeks and only go out once a week to get some grocery (no mask). I always see few people running or walking dog, I been thinking if I should start taking walk just to get some sunlight or fresh air or resume my running as well.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
Stay home. If you're sick you won't give it to anyone. If you're not sick, you won't get sick. It is not safe to go outside now, and probably won't be for a while.

Offline Beherenow

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
Stay home. If you're sick you won't give it to anyone. If you're not sick, you won't get sick. It is not safe to go outside now, and probably won't be for a while.

Strongly disagree.  Getting exercise in the fresh air and sunshine (which also provides vitamin D) boosts the immune system and psychological well being.  It's easy to keep your distance from passersby, even on sidewalks, if you're mindful and aware of your surroundings.  Of course if you're sick, that's a different matter. But otherwise there is no reason to force yourself to stay inside.

Offline passthekimchi

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 01:58:54 PM »
I went for a jog yesterday morning, but I'm rethinking if it's a good idea or not to get out. Maybe it's safe, however I don't think the debate has been settled yet on how long it stays suspended in the air, how easily it is transmitted through the air, etc. There's still so much not known about the virus at this point, and guidance seems to be getting revised frequently..

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-could-travel-27-feet-stay-in-air-for-hours-mit-researcher/

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »
The NY Post article links to the original source in USA Today which is more balanced as it provides other viewpoints:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/03/30/coronavirus-social-distancing-mit-researcher-lydia-bourouiba-27-feet/5091526002/

I've been running regularly as well for both physical and mental health. I think the benefit outweighs the risk as I believe the threat is very low outdoors. I'm mindful what of what I touch of course!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 02:36:05 PM »