Author Topic: Farmers market  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Cookie0121

• Resident
Farmers market
« on: March 20, 2020, 06:25:43 PM »
Does anyone know if the Farmers market will be there on Sunday?

I hope so.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Farmers market
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 06:32:01 PM »
as of today, yes. but no composting, no clothing collection.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
The farmers market is open today, with social distancing measures in place. I'm not sure how well these work when the market starts to get crowded, but early this morning it did work. Some of the stands have something like rope in front of them that you can't move beyond. And customers are not allowed to touch any products. So, for example, if you want apples, you tell the apple stand employee what you want and he bags it for you and hands it to you and then you go pay.

When I was there at 8:30 there were already some long lines (7 or so long) at a few of the stands. This is going to get difficult logistically when people are trying to stand 6 feet apart. So I suggest going on the early side if you can.

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
Initially this seemed like a bad idea to me. People won't be able to tell whether the farmers market was safe for another 2-3 weeks, because it can take a while to show an infection. And in that time, they could infect other people...

However in retrospect it does seem safer than a grocery store. I guess they are both unsafe though.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 10:50:20 AM »
other than the fact that the meat purveyors were largely sold out, this worked perfectly well. the stand workers know what they're doing as a rule, anyway, and customers followed the rules without getting snippy (the part that concerned me). nobody complained about not picking their own individual pieces of produce and most everyone had the hang of the social distancing thing. if the 'new normal' lasts well into the nicer weather of spring and the attendant increase in number of vendors, things might be different, but as of now, the center is holding.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Scaled-Back Greenmarket
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »
Not sure if it's coronavirus, weather, avenue closure or a combination, but the Greenmarket was less than half its usual size today. the stands that are there are all arrayed down 79th -- straight down to Northern. vendors, as always, are terrific, but you can see a bit of the strain getting to them, understandably.

Offline Grabey

• Activist
Re: Scaled-Back Greenmarket
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:36:27 AM »
Thanks for the update. Do you remember if the beef vendor was there?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 10:49:17 AM »
Thanks for the update. Do you remember if the beef vendor was there?

Sun Fed Beef was there but sold out of almost everything by 10 AM. Same with Sawkill Pork. both had large roasts and a few odd cuts, but not much else.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
Actually most all of the vendors who are there in the winter were there today. It looked scaled back because there were considerably fewer people there. Still, a good number of vendors had come, incl. the fishmonger, Tello the eggs guy, Joey the mushrooms guy, the cheesemonger, the salami people who are normally on 34th, Francesca's bakery, Hawthorne Valley (the dairy), the veggie stand, the organic greens stand, the turkey guy, the pork stand, and the apples guys. Phillips Farms (the Tibetan-run apples and veggies stand) was not there.

I went to do my shopping there, as I always to, and to show them my support. They implemented social distancing measures a couple of weeks ago, and are taking steps to protect customers and the community.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
Ronnybrook was also missing. i must have missed Tello's, because i was looking for them. doggone.

Offline Matt

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »
We lost Lost Bread as well. Hopefully it was just the weather. Most of the vendors I usually go to were not there.

Offline Beherenow

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
My wife and I are both over 65. While I really wanted to go to the farmer's market today, I was worried about the social distancing.  I've read in this thread that the vendors took precautions, but aren't the sidewalks too narrow to avoid jostling?  Trying to decide about next week. Thanks

Offline lindsey

• Activist
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 02:23:14 PM »
Today the farmer's market took advantage of the full width & length of 79th street, so that rather than having all the stalls clustered together on the sidewalk from 34th Ave to halfway down the block, they were spaced out on the street all the way to Northern Boulevard. That, plus the fact that fewer people seemed to come out today, meant that it was much easier to stick to the 6 foot spacing rule while shopping. I will be back next week!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
My wife and I are both over 65. While I really wanted to go to the farmer's market today, I was worried about the social distancing.  I've read in this thread that the vendors took precautions, but aren't the sidewalks too narrow to avoid jostling?  Trying to decide about next week. Thanks

there are Greenmarket employees enforcing the distancing, and today, with everything on the side street, all the way to Northern, things were more spaced out. i hope you feel comfortable enough to get out next week.

Offline Beherenow

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »
Today the farmer's market took advantage of the full width & length of 79th street, so that rather than having all the stalls clustered together on the sidewalk from 34th Ave to halfway down the block, they were spaced out on the street all the way to Northern Boulevard. That, plus the fact that fewer people seemed to come out today, meant that it was much easier to stick to the 6 foot spacing rule while shopping.

Thanks! That's reassuring.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 02:30:42 PM »