Author Topic: Virus Mania Strikes Jackson Heights  (Read 1825 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Virus Mania Strikes Jackson Heights
« on: February 29, 2020, 02:57:26 PM »
This afternoon, the Foodtown was a full-on meltdown zone. every single cashier -- human and self-serve -- had lines halfway down the aisles, and in some cases, back to the meat counter.  full carts, angry shoppers. i haven't seen anything like this in a grocery store since i lived through the Northridge earthquake in 1994.

i was reminded of this classic Simpsons moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4m-lNi61Rk

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Virus Mania Strikes Jackson Heights
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
I saw someone tweet about a Sam's Club in Minnesota that looked like the worst Black Friday crowds ever seen. I hadn't realized it was happening in our area as well.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »
Huh - yesterday it seemed if anything a bit empty, though I suppose it depends on the time of day.

Today I was in Woodside and the Associated and Key Food (whatever it's called) and the Korean market near 61st St all seemed quiet.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 05:24:37 PM »
Huh - yesterday it seemed if anything a bit empty, though I suppose it depends on the time of day.

Today I was in Woodside and the Associated and Key Food (whatever it's called) and the Korean market near 61st St all seemed quiet.

I thought Foodtown looked crowded because they only had one cashier open when I was there.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 05:29:36 PM »
every lane except the one furthest from the door was open. the self-serve was also all the way to the meat counter.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:57:39 PM »
Twitter is full of videos of massive crowds at Costcos around the country. Like this:

https://twitter.com/vote4dongshen/status/1233814600749060096?s=20

Also in Flushing (although to be fair, every time I've been to Costco in NYC on a Saturday, it's been a bit of a madhouse) so this may not be off from a normal Saturday. https://twitter.com/vote4dongshen/status/1233868272661037057?s=20

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
I had another thought - is it possible people are shopping to stock up on free plastic grocery bags (last day they are free)?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
I had another thought - is it possible people are shopping to stock up on free plastic grocery bags (last day they are free)?

it's possible. but i saw a LOT of people with major loads for delivery.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 11:02:01 PM »
This neighborhood supermarket is usually very busy and you’re calling it a full on meltdown. I have been living here for 35 years, and yes that store has gotten busier over the past year or two with lines down the isles. But I attribute it to with the lack of choices and the time of day you go there.  Do you think it’s a panic because of the coronavirus?  Spreading fake news?  And I’ve been through quite a few earthquakes in New York, so I’m not sure of the correlation between the two. People don’t usually go shopping after an earthquake

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 11:37:18 PM »
i have been living here for 25 years and have been going to this store for most of that time. since i am a block away from it, i go to it at least four or five times a week. i've never once seen it like this. let me know if you've spent more than 25 minutes on a checkout line there.

you've never been through an earthquake in New York. trust me. the earthquakes in New York didn't kill dozens of people or destroy entire neighborhoods.  the earthquakes in New York didn't bring down buildings. they didn't take the electrical grid off-line.

thanks, Jixxie. always good for a laugh.

[Moderators note: Revised with permission of the author.]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 07:07:28 PM by toddg »

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 11:49:20 PM »
Yes, I have spent more than 25 minutes on line

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 11:52:10 PM »
By the way, they receive their bread twice a week half baked. And then they finish cooking it in their kitchen. If you get here that day or the next day or two and it’s still warm and crusty it’s really good. I like the choices of bread better here than any place in the neighborhood.

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
FreshDirect just cancelled all (except 1) of the frozen items in my next delivery. They cancelled 10 items. I guess everyone is prepping...

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »

Also in Flushing (although to be fair, every time I've been to Costco in NYC on a Saturday, it's been a bit of a madhouse) so this may not be off from a normal Saturday.
I don't think Costco in Flushing has ever been crowded. Did you mean BJs? Or did you mean Costco in Rego Park or LIC?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »

Also in Flushing (although to be fair, every time I've been to Costco in NYC on a Saturday, it's been a bit of a madhouse) so this may not be off from a normal Saturday.
I don't think Costco in Flushing has ever been crowded. Did you mean BJs? Or did you mean Costco in Rego Park or LIC?

I've only been to LIC and Rego Park Costco.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 09:26:00 PM »