Author Topic: Thaan, Thai restaurant  (Read 1888 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Thaan, Thai restaurant
« on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:20 AM »
New Thai restaurant -- Thaan, located on 37th Avenue on the south side, between 84th and 85th. It's next door to Sam's Furniture Outlet, which is going-out-of-business by the end of February.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/thaan-jackson-heights

Offline Donna

• Resident
Re: Thaan, Thai restaurant
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 01:29:00 PM »
Another Thai restaurant. There must be one on every block. I would love a pub type place open in this neighborhood

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 12:52:18 PM »
Donna, when I moved to the area 16 years ago you had Sripraphhai on 65th St in Woodside.  Along with Thaan, you have 5 others close by (Sompong, Kitchen 79, Arunee, Black Thai & Raan Kway Teow).  Also, on Broadway & 75th St you have Sabay and at least 2 others on Roosevelt Ave between 70 & 74 St plus possibly 3 others on Woodside Ave in the 70's for a total of 12. 

Offline pynchoff

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
There are also four or five more on Broadway moving up into the low 80's.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 05:19:03 PM »
and all (or most) of them draw diners from Manhattan and other boroughs because they're of very high quality. i could use a bit more variety, too, but it's not like we're slogging through the avocado toast jungle of the West Village.....

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 11:17:38 PM »
I will have to wait to see what the health department grade is before I spend my money in this establishment. Since they haven’t been inspected yet you have no idea what to expect in the kitchen, or on your plate for that matter

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 01:21:47 PM »
or on your plate for that matter

They have a menu posted in the window, there are Yelp reviews already, and I'm happy to report my meal (papaya salad and yellow curry salmon) was tasty. The curry was spicier than I would have initially expected, but our server made sure I was okay with spice, so I got a heads up. The chrysathemum honey iced tea was delicate and delightful.

I also took a gander at their Yelp page, and it isn't stock photos of the food -- I recognized the serving dishes. https://www.yelp.com/biz/thaan-jackson-heights

I wish them success, even if, yes, I'd personally love a good pub to go to nearby and I was sorry to see Saw Shack close.

Offline petegart

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 06:19:22 PM »
Hi, has anyone tried this place yet?  My favorite Thai places are Ayada & Hug Esan.

I went for a walk today and noticed it.  The take-out menu looks great

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2020, 07:30:14 PM »
Have ordered from them twice since pandemic, and food was very good and they have some unique dishes not found elsewhere. Service is good as well. Been trying more places than our usual Thai for delivery, and this was one of the better finds.  Hope they can survive given they opened shortly before the shut down for dining in.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2020, 10:54:24 PM »
Have ordered from them twice since pandemic, and food was very good and they have some unique dishes not found elsewhere. Service is good as well. Been trying more places than our usual Thai for delivery, and this was one of the better finds.  Hope they can survive given they opened shortly before the shut down for dining in.

Thanks. I will give them a try. :)

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2020, 01:18:08 AM »
We have ordered 2x and have been very impressed. Their Massaman Curry was flavorful and delicious.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »
I tried this place last night. Excellent! I have long been a Kitchen 79 fan, and will continue to go there as well, but I will add this one into the rotation. I had the seafood pad cha and the chicken satay.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »