Author Topic: NYS Plastic Bag Ban  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
NYS Plastic Bag Ban
« on: February 12, 2020, 09:21:22 AM »
Get your reusable bags ready!
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/50034.html?fbclid=IwAR2LKy5RRHo87zopsu2DLU1nj-35XpQZhxK0MouDU2GHDEGt044TwlRAhto

Here's an opportunity to receive a free bag from NYC Dept of Sanitation, if you don't already have enough. https://materials.bwprronline.org/zero-waste-pledge-form

Offline ZzzzzZzzzzz

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2015
Re: NYS Plastic bag ban begins March 1, 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »
Thank you.  Just signed up. 

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »
Just a reminder to get your bags ready for Sunday, March 1!

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 11:03:01 AM »
Just curious what do most people do/use for trash bag.

I usually use these plastic bag from supermarket as trash bag. Like for baby diaper, vacuum dirt, food waste (since my build doesn't do food compost yet), plastic wrap from package, junk letter, etc.

Do most folks just buy like glad bag and such, and how is that any different in eliminating plastic bag.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
most trash bags -- commercially created for that use -- are bio-degradable to some degree, some completely. theoretically, they could probably make grocery bags that way, but they're expensive and would probably be charged for.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
Seems to me everyone in our building uses the plastic grocery bags as trash bags.  Recently, I've been using the small produce bags for food waste to eliminate odors.  Methinks, GLAD and HEFTY are going to come out the big winners.........and hopefully, the environment.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 12:02:34 AM »
The ban on plastics is  being postponed for a month. It’s a shame because after all this planning they still can’t get it right.  Millions of bags will now be in our oceans and trees needlessly. Should have been done years ago.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 01:04:40 AM »
The ban on plastics is  being postponed for a month. It’s a shame because after all this planning they still can’t get it right.
The ban is not being delayed. There will be no penalty for failing to comply with the ban for the first month, but the ban is still in place. This is not a change to the original plan Andrew is fairly common when new laws are instituted. They also did this when they first put in speed cameras in NYC.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 01:10:25 AM »
Excuse me, so we have time to adjust

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Does anyone use those compost-bin and dump it to the farmer market on Saturday?
Curiosity how well it works and any issue/tip to share?

Does it smell if you store whole week of waste (since my coop doesn't participate yet)? Can you do left over cooked food, uncooked seafood (like shrimp shell), meat bone? Does it cause fruit flies or bugs during hot summer. I look through few of Amazon products and some of the reviews, seem like these are what most talk about/complaint.

I usually just put fruit and veggie skin only and in tight seal container then dump at farmer market. Would like to do coffee and tea leaves too, since I consume both on daily basis.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »
we did it when we had a house. i don't remember a lot of smell. coffee and coffee filters work well. eggshells, too. i don't recall using meat, but my partner at the time was a vegetarian, so we seldom had any around. newspaper works, too. it supposedly speeds the process, according to a neighbor who taught us the process.

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 03:35:56 PM »
I kept all my compost materials in the freezer so no mess, bugs, smells, etc. It worked very well and it was fine to drop off frozen stuff. (I haven't done it in a while, alas)

I don't think you can compost meat and seafood, or anything that would contain fats and oils, like leftovers, but different collection places may take different things I guess

Does it smell if you store whole week of waste (since my coop doesn't participate yet)? Can you do left over cooked food, uncooked seafood (like shrimp shell), meat bone? Does it cause fruit flies or bugs during hot summer. I look through few of Amazon products and some of the reviews, seem like these are what most talk about/complaint.

I usually just put fruit and veggie skin only and in tight seal container then dump at farmer market. Would like to do coffee and tea leaves too, since I consume both on daily basis.

Offline Hagop

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 05:57:27 PM »
I kept all my compost materials in the freezer so no mess, bugs, smells, etc. It worked very well and it was fine to drop off frozen stuff. (I haven't done it in a while, alas)

I don't think you can compost meat and seafood, or anything that would contain fats and oils, like leftovers, but different collection places may take different things I guess

Yes, all of this. We store the full bags in the freezer so no mess and easy to drop off. You can't compost meat, dairy, or oily foods.

Offline hagsrus

• Activist
Plastic bags
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 06:32:52 PM »
A bit puzzled, though I realize things may still be "adjusting":

Bought toilet paper at Duane Reade - plastic bags offered.

Kitchen garbage bags and mopping wipes at Riteaid - no bag offered

Cooking wine at Foodtown - bags offered

Chicken livers at Key Food - no bag offered, though I think they are supposed to be for meat

Fish at name I can never remember, Broadway & Pettit - bag offered

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Plastic bags
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »
This may be why:

https://nypost.com/2020/02/28/state-officials-say-fines-under-new-yorks-bag-ban-wont-start-for-another-month/

New York statewide plastic bag ban begins this Sunday — but actual enforcement won’t start for a month, officials said Friday.

State authorities agreed Thursday to delay penalizing stores violating New York’s ban of single-use plastic bags until April 1 after grocers filed a last-minute lawsuit to try and block the law.

Jackson Heights Life

Re: Plastic bags
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 08:48:17 PM »