Author Topic: Considering moving to Jackson Heights, looking for insight  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Considering moving to Jackson Heights, looking for insight
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:17 AM »
I think the stock for singles has gotten considerably better in the last few years as many people have been priced out of other "cooler" neighborhoods. I have a few friends that have moved to the area and they are pretty hot! The 74th st hub is excellent.

I wouldn't care about the gardens bc you generally wouldn't even use it. Something to think about might be traffic on apartments on the streetside, but that might be choosy of you.

I am on 73rd, north of 35th. Sometimes the traffic is annoying but it's not something to move over. I LOVE how quick it is to get on the train. I Love the choice of supermarkets and the different enclaves, especially Elmhurst. I love Elmhurst. Astoria is pretty lame but I do get jealous on how busy the restaurants are there, how much participation non-families have in that area. JH is excellent for families. I was a single here 12 years ago and I admit it was definitely difficult but now it's better.

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:45 AM »
 I would not recommend young & single individuals to move to JH. But, there are exceptions to every rule, are you a homebody? very independent? Are you a pet owner? then maybe you could give it a try.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 06:13:56 PM »
Look, think of Jax Heights as a millions times more convenient and interesting and urban place than living in Long Island or New Jersey.

The prices here for rent/buying are less than the very hip Brooklyn/Manhattan/Astoria places.  (They used to be MUCH, MUCH cheaper). But you definitely get more bang for your buck with apartments.

You'll be mostly traveling by subway to see your pals/go out.  Your pals will come here once or twice a year maybe for momos.

And if you're nearer the 74th st hub...the traveling by express subway is either a half or a podcast away for where you always need to go.

So it's a cinch, really. 

Offline BOT

• Tourist
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 01:44:32 PM »
I think the stock for singles has gotten considerably better in the last few years as many people have been priced out of other "cooler" neighborhoods. I have a few friends that have moved to the area and they are pretty hot! The 74th st hub is excellent.

I wouldn't care about the gardens bc you generally wouldn't even use it. Something to think about might be traffic on apartments on the streetside, but that might be choosy of you.

I am on 73rd, north of 35th. Sometimes the traffic is annoying but it's not something to move over. I LOVE how quick it is to get on the train. I Love the choice of supermarkets and the different enclaves, especially Elmhurst. I love Elmhurst. Astoria is pretty lame but I do get jealous on how busy the restaurants are there, how much participation non-families have in that area. JH is excellent for families. I was a single here 12 years ago and I admit it was definitely difficult but now it's better.

I live in a garden apartment and the biggest benefit is that all our bedrooms face the garden, makes it so very quiet as oppose to facing the streets. I live on 2nd floor and in my living room faces the street and u can can almost heard everything.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 10:10:50 AM »
Hmmm...well I live near 74 St station, but in fact I do walk up into the 80s for a number of reasons. To visit people who live there, to patronize stores and restaurants located there. It's hardly true that I am cut off from that part of the neighborhood because I live in the mid-70s.

I think it was meant to be a generalized statement about people's general habits of staying closer to where they live rather than walking 10 blocks to a particular part of the neighborhood. Able-bodied people aren't cut off from any part of the neighborhood, but how often do most people actually walk 10-15 blocks to go to a particular restaurant, grocery store, coffee shop or visit a friend? There's fine restaurants, coffee shops and grocery stores throughout the neighborhood, so you don't really need to make a daily or multiple-times a week trip 10 blocks away unless you're very specific in your want/need.

Offline Maple

• Citizen
« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:54:31 AM »
If you are not drawn by the bar/cafe/restaurant scene in Astoria and like to do your South Asian grocery shopping in Jackson Heights, you might very well enjoy JH more. There are lots of cafes and bakeries here of various ethnic persuasions if you care to sit in one or grab something to go. Roosevelt Avenue is dirty, yes, and that's not good, but I do like having people out and about late at night. It feels safer. I can come home at midnight and it’s like rush hour (well, not quite, but full of people). It’s great to be at an express subway stop with multiple lines, too.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:54:31 AM »