Author Topic: Which DMV is best to go to to renew drivers licenc  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Heightsman

• Tourist
Which DMV is best to go to to renew drivers licenc
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
I will need to renew my drivers license soon. Which DMV in Queens is best and or closest to Jackson Heights? Also, if anyone knows which day(s) would be less crowded? I heard with the new enhanced license requirement they are all super busy.
Thanks!

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
Re: Which DMV is best to go to to renew drivers licenc
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:16:15 AM »
I’ve been to the one in Whitestone whenever I need to go, and it is really quick. They have paid parking which is a help for a couple of dollars. When you first walk in it looks daunting, but just speak to the woman at the door and she will direct you. They also have a kiosk there if you were doing something basic that also helps you get out quicker. They also have a DMV express I believe in Manhattan on 34th St. That could also be an alternative if you’re doing a simple transaction

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:07:41 PM »
the DMV express in Manhattan is really efficient and well-staffed. if you can get to that one, i also recommend it.

Offline jh_coop_buyer

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
I like the DMV express in Manhattan too. The best DMV in NYC based on my own experience

Offline JHHD

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
You can go online and make an appointment.
https://dmv.ny.gov/offices/make-reservation-visit-dmv-office
Then it probably does not matter as much which office you visit.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »

Yes. Make sure you tell them you have an appointment. I did this for Whitestone. And even though the place is cavernous and chaotic, it wasn't too horrendous with an online appointment. Not perfect... but better than for the folks who appeared to have been there for days...(slight hyperbole)

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »
Whitestone. Make an appointment. I heard the one in the city  is closed for renovations. I believe they also have Saturday appointments now.

Offline JHALUM

• Citizen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 08:28:12 PM »
I have a few tips.  I went to the DMV in Whitestone on Yom Kippur and the place was packed with people with school age kids because  the schools were closed that day.  I waited over two hours to renew my license so  don't go on a day when the schools are closed.  I also went  in the fall before undocumented immigrants were able to get  driver's licenses so I am sure the place will be more crowded now. 

If  you want to get a REAL ID so you can board a plane come October 2020 make sure you have proper documentation.  I was unable to locate enough documents that morning and couldn't get a  REAL ID and  my driver's license displays "not for federal purposes".  During the holidays I was stopped by the police in CT because I had a break light  out and the officer quipped, "not for federal purposes you don't look like an illegal alien" and then laughed.  I think it is  going to be clear that anyone who looks like they are foreign born and doesn't have a REAL ID license will be suspected of being in the  country illegally without a REAL ID driver's license.

Offline dlines

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2001
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »

Yes. Make sure you tell them you have an appointment. I did this for Whitestone. And even though the place is cavernous and chaotic, it wasn't too horrendous with an online appointment. Not perfect... but better than for the folks who appeared to have been there for days...(slight hyperbole)

Yes :D^^^^, I've been to the Whitestone DMV with an appointment to renew my license and I was there for less than 20 minutes. As long as you let one of the staff know that you have an appointment, then your stay should be easy breezy! Good luck 8)

Offline c11732

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »
I believe the Manhattan Express was closed due to a fire. I would also recommend making an appointment, but you can still renew some licenses online.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
Definitely make an appointment! I just went 2 weeks ago (to one in Bronx) to renew my license and I was maybe there for 20 mins at the most.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 03:40:42 PM »
The the past 20+ years, I have never been to a DMV but have used the mail.  Lots of options for the eye exams such as Franks Pharmacy. 

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
The the past 20+ years, I have never been to a DMV but have used the mail.  Lots of options for the eye exams such as Franks Pharmacy.

Wow, I never knew that was an option. Thanks.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »

That’s what I did last time too.

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
If you are updating to a RealID to be able to use your DL to board domestic flights, you need to go in to renew. RealID or Enhanced is needed after OCT of this year. Otherwise, you will need to use your passport to board any flights.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »