Author Topic: MTA Meeting on Queens Bus Network Redesign Wednesday 1/15!  (Read 1053 times)

Offline 34AD

• Resident
MTA Meeting on Queens Bus Network Redesign Wednesday 1/15!
« on: January 09, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »
The MTA is coming to Jackson Heights! Join us at the Rumpus Room in Southridge Co-op to provide feedback on the draft plan of the Quens Bus Network Redesign and its impact on Jackson Heights, East Elmhurst, Woodside, and Corona. Planners from the MTA will be present to field your questions!

Offline 34AD

• Resident
Re: MTA Meeting on Queens Bus Network Redesign Wednesday 1/15!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:55:00 PM by 34AD »

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:47:58 AM »
If you cannot attend please call his office and the office of Jessica Ramos. They are logging complaints. Your voice counts!!
In addition to changing the q32 route the q49 is also affected
They are planning to discontinue the q53 that goes to the mall ,the only Trader Joe’s we have and Rockaway beach!
Thank you

Offline Spinitch

• Resident

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 03:01:31 PM »
For your convenience:

TELL Jessica Ramos WHAT YOU THINK:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfUeZcKKiVvRlKwZE7nOyOn_om3JOvAxYk91cho96gcs08agw/viewform?fbzx=996807187948690507

Not sure what the pols will do with the feedback or how MTA will receive it. So in addition, I still think the best place to comment is directly to the MTA:
https://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/comments_queensbus

Offline Junior Minty

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »
Thanks to all for the direct links! I agree with you Jeanette about appealing to pols, but for whatever it's worth, I complained to the MTA and to Ramos. It could never hurt!

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 08:55:28 PM »
Thanks to all for the direct links! I agree with you Jeanette about appealing to pols, but for whatever it's worth, I complained to the MTA and to Ramos. It could never hurt!

Do whatever and everything you can. Speak to our neighbors. I took the 32 last night from Sunnyside, and not one person on the bus knew anything about changes to schedule or route. Except for me, all appeared to be immigrants.

From Turtalia (re Q49 only) "feel free to print and use!"
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tL3j4CLe6m8Tlx7lNkuyi_KUWQf4hleG

As far as I know--correct me if I'm wrong, MTA has only given us this one month, with two weeks left for review and feedback.

Offline 34AD

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:36:33 AM »
*bump* A friendly reminder that the meeting is tonight!

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 03:22:09 PM »
 Yes, there is a meeting tonight! Thankfully many of the local electeds have gotten involved here because the last thing we need now is for anyone of them to say that "they fixed the bus redesign." I hope lots of people speak up in the various ways involved- online, to MTA officials, at meetings and anything else possible.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Yes, there is a meeting tonight! Thankfully many of the local electeds have gotten involved here because the last thing we need now is for anyone of them to say that "they fixed the bus redesign."
I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about the pols getting involved. DenDekker is the only one  clearly making noise at this point.

(I can't open the WSJ) https://www.wsj.com/articles/queens-lawmakers-complain-about-proposed-bus-route-changes-11579043813?link_id=0&can_id=d6ac66051f50a357ca95562917aa8ad6&source=email-save-our-buses-2&email_referrer=email_701033&email_subject=stormed-out-of-the-meeting

I understand this is a quote from the article (emailed to me by DenDekker's opponent Jessica Rojas): “Assemblyman Michael DenDekker, a Democrat who represents Jackson Heights, Queens, asked [MTA head] Mr. Byford to make no changes within his district and said the MTA should have done more to consider existing ridership habits. Mr. DenDekker stormed out of the meeting.”

Three things are on my mind.
1. Schools/parents/caregivers need to know about this and get involved.
2. What is the hard deadline for input and action.
3. Which pols are willing to go to bat for us, as in community outreach, providing materials, working the media.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 06:02:57 PM »

7 p.m. at Southridge-1, Rompus Room, 33-04 93rd Street, across from playground (just south of Northern Blvd.)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
7 p.m. at Southridge-1, Rompus Room, 33-04 93rd Street, across from playground (just south of Northern Blvd.)

Fantastic show of community at the meeting. Hundreds inside, another 100 or two outside. I am proud to be of this greater Jackson Heights neighborhood. MTA deserved every bit of animus it received from us. MTA's rationale for the Queens Bus Redesign was just lame, a weak attempt at saying they know riders really don't like the old system with buses meandering through neighborhoods to pick people up and take them where they want to go; what Queens riders really want is short, fast bus rides to the closest, accommodating, efficient subway station. Gotta appreciate the hubris.

1. Schools/parents/caregivers need to know about this and get involved. Parents should get principals/PTA on board with face to face and printed/posted communications. MTA is concentrating its outreach through online DIY methods. *Flyer your apartment building.
2. What is the hard deadline for input and action. DenDekker and staff assured us the process is ongoing, yet MTA's info clearly states that the final draft is set for Q2, which translates to April. A "public workshop" for our corridor is scheduled Thursday, January 30th (6-8 pm) at Langston Hughes Library, 100-01 Northern Blvd. in Corona. The community boards need to hear from us NOW.
3. Which pols are willing to go to bat for us, as in community outreach, providing materials, working the media. Gotta give credit where due, DenDekker's on this, but last night was about the MTA, not politicians in an election year. Voice your concerns repeatedly and directly to the MTA. File a complaint for every issue/route, not just one general disapproval. The MTA rep claimed he did not expect a turnout like last night's at Southridge.

One more thought. Plenty riders, like the Sunnyside riders I spoke to recently, get on and off the bus at points other than the final destination/hub. These folks are not getting the message.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »
The meeting last night was awesome. Yes it was crowded and some people were unable to get inside. There were chairs but people sat in them and others could not get a seat. But it was awesome because Jackson Heights was out in full voice, in large numbers and very united.

They heard us last night. But we cannot let up the pressure!

Please sign this petition:
https://www.change.org/p/mta-east-west-bus-routes-must-continue-in-jackson-heights?recruiter=5626688&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition&recruited_by_id=8d2c61c0-0cb8-11e5-9e9e-314f76f81c2e&share_bandit_exp=initial-19889736-en-US&share_bandit_var=v1&utm_content=fht-19889736-en-us%3Av12

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20:56 PM »