Author Topic: Proposed changes to JH bus network  (Read 10468 times)

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
Re: Proposed changes to JH bus network
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2020, 12:59:28 AM »
The MTA is cutting service in less gentrified communities in order to add service and renovations to mass transit in LIC and Astoria. The buses here are packed with immigrants whose may not be lawfully present in the US and can’t vote.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2020, 09:45:34 AM »
The MTA is cutting service in less gentrified communities in order to add service and renovations to mass transit in LIC and Astoria. The buses here are packed with immigrants whose may not be lawfully present in the US and can’t vote.

I wasn't going to respond to this because I have learned on the forum that it's best not to engage with folks who love trolling or are obsessive.

But really? Do you really believe this? Or r u simply being a classic troll...?

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2020, 11:00:16 AM »
I take the  Q49 on occasion. If I have a meeting in Manhattan or on the weekend.  Last week, 3 buses passed me by b/c of overcrowding.  I would venture to say that 98% of the people who take this bus, myself included,  are going to the train on 74th street. This translates into one fare that  pays for both bus and train service, which means a loss or revenue for the MTA.  I really hope that they keep the Q49 the way it is.  It would mean a hardship for all of us, especially the seniors

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »
In the last 10 years this neighborhood has become more "gentrified" then it has been since the 1970's.  Not everything is because of "Racism and Bigotry".  Why are people so compelled to inject this BS into every discussion?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
In the last 10 years this neighborhood has become more "gentrified" then it has been since the 1970's.  Not everything is because of "Racism and Bigotry".  Why are people so compelled to inject this BS into every discussion?

because they're right wing obsessives. in JK's case.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2020, 01:26:45 PM »
wow
Friends, Neighbors, People:
Drastic structural changes to bus service is clearly new policy. I'm sure you've heard of the  Green New Deal. I tried to gently broach this with someone weeks ago, but apparently it didn't sink in. If you need a flashing neon sign to tell you GND is being implemented, then you will be blindsided as your life is inexorably altered.
Everything here is new. There is nothing you will be able to depend on or argue against. You have no idea if transfers will remain, if trains will be free, if side street routes will be car free, new bike lanes, etc. etc. We are not in the loop. Only one person on this site knows more than us, and he has barely been forthcoming.
It's a brave new world order.
Let the haters begin.

Offline lalochezia

• Mayor
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »

OOH. Sign me up as a hater. I hope I'm the person "not forthcoming". If i forthcome, do I win a prize? I love the mildly passive-aggressive conspiratorial tone of this post. Peak Jeanette! Well done!

For those of you who aren't ready to start talking about the bildbergs, chemtrails,  birtherism or whether trains will be free (hint: they are not now!).

This is a proposed bus re-organization plan by the MTA - a public corporation owned and run by NY state......

which has nothing to do with any fever-dreams about.....

the Green New Deal. Which is a proposal, made by members of the democratic party,  to enact  federal-level environmental legislation. Which requires a democratic congress, senate and president onboard with the ideas contained therein. Which we don't have.

----

But keep on being you, Jeanette! What TRUTH hidden from the PEOPLE will you bring us next? I can't wait!

wow
Friends, Neighbors, People:
Drastic structural changes to bus service is clearly new policy. I'm sure you've heard of the  Green New Deal. I tried to gently broach this with someone weeks ago, but apparently it didn't sink in. If you need a flashing neon sign to tell you GND is being implemented, then you will be blindsided as your life is inexorably altered.
Everything here is new. There is nothing you will be able to depend on or argue against. You have no idea if transfers will remain, if trains will be free, if side street routes will be car free, new bike lanes, etc. etc. We are not in the loop. Only one person on this site knows more than us, and he has barely been forthcoming.
It's a brave new world order.
Let the haters begin.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2020, 02:02:15 PM »
What a surprise, you've been so quiet on this topic, LLChe.
GND is a resolution. A set of ideas. A platform. It is not law, rule or regulation. But it's intent is to engage the philosophy and underwrite it with coordinated policies, express laws and rules, and implementation and enforcement.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
I hope I'm the person "not forthcoming".

You're not.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
and the Green New Deal aims to get all private vehicles off the road. some might suggest that folks like AOC and myself would make it a felony to own one. why would we slap down public transportation in our efforts to eliminate freedom?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2020, 03:45:00 PM »
Jeanette, I suspect you're talking about me.  Yes, I know enough about this topic to be able to point out resources that describe the broader context for the changes we're seeing locally (see my earlier posts).   But I do not work for the MTA, and the only information I have seen on their proposals is the information posted on their public website.  Other than my personal opinions, there is nothing I haven't been forthcoming about.

Furthermore, your conspiracy theories are BS.  This is about trying to improve transit service for the greatest number of people.  The theories behind MTA's effort may or may not be good ones.  And the net result may not be great for our neighborhood.  But there is no agenda at work other than trying to make the transit system work better.   As I said earlier, if you dislike what you see in the proposal, it's important to give feedback to the MTA. 

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »
..if you dislike what you see in the proposal, it's important to give feedback to the MTA.

https://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/comments_queensbus

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2020, 11:56:22 PM »
The MTA members of appointed by the NYS Governor and by the Mayor. They are political appointees. I believe the the squeaky wheel gets the grease and that many in our community don’t have even a voice or a vote to give. When bus routes are changed they will be winners and losers. These routes will be decided by back room deals that we voters will have no control over.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
The MTA members of appointed by the NYS Governor and by the Mayor. They are political appointees. I believe the the squeaky wheel gets the grease and that many in our community don’t have even a voice or a vote to give. When bus routes are changed they will be winners and losers. These routes will be decided by back room deals that we voters will have no control over.

I am not buying your conspiracy theories.

Offline Suzaan

• Resident
    • My publications
Attend meeting Wed 1/15, 7pm to protest loss of JH bus network
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »
The elimination of the Q49 is crazy.  It is always packed, so much so that in mornings it sometimes skips my stop and coming home, at 74th there's always long lines to get on.  The MTA wants to stimulate everyone to walk to nearest subway stop; when recovering from hip replacement I could do exactly one step on or off  bus and no more -- could not take subways with all those stairs.  Years later, I sometimes just don't have the energy to walk to the #7.

Please attend the meeting they just added in JH tomorrow night and save our transportation network.   

"The additional Jackson Heights community meeting came at the request of Assembly Member Michael DenDekker, who reached out to the MTA after receiving multiple complaints from constituents about the proposal. That meeting is now set to take place on Jan. 15 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at 33-04 93rd St."

https://jacksonheightspost.com/mta-to-hold-jackson-heights-meeting-wednesday-following-criticism-of-bus-plan

Jackson Heights Life

Attend meeting Wed 1/15, 7pm to protest loss of JH bus network
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »