Author Topic: Proposed changes to JH bus network  (Read 10569 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Re: Q49 bus to be eliminated
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 01:05:17 PM »
I'm glad theyre taking it off 74th street. A bus on that street is ridiculous. I think it should be closed off to traffic entirely

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 02:29:55 PM »
It will be very interesting to see how this effects real estate especially cooperatives in Jackson Heights.  If I was purchasing and needed to use the 74th St subway station each day, I would avoid purchasing above 79 St.
The Towers seems especially screwed by this, I know a few people in that area who catch buses to 74th because it is about a 15-20min walk otherwise.

Meanwhile The Towers continues to have crazy prices e.g. $1.35m for this: https://streeteasy.com/building/33_40-81-street-jackson_heights/22

Offline Di_11372

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 05:07:01 PM »
Let us not forget all people that live at 1 of the furthest addresses in JH, in the massive Coop The Northridge. I lived there for 6 yrs and relied on the bus to 74th several days a week.

This is scary news for JH Real Estate agents for sure....

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »
I'm glad theyre taking it off 74th street. A bus on that street is ridiculous. I think it should be closed off to traffic entirely
The posted map shows a bus on 75th, presumably the replacement for the Q47. However, 75th is one way after 37th Ave. I suspect the northbound bus will still go up 74th St. I'm going to try to find better resolution copies of the proposed new routes and post them if I can.

Offline JHResident

• Activist
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 07:37:04 PM »
So the Q47 will be replaced by the QT61, map is at
https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/bus_network/queensbusredesign/routes/qt61
It looks like they're going to get rid of the Glendale portion and tack on some of the Q32 JH to Manhattan route. It shows the bus going up 75th at least as faR as Northern, then apparently going up 77th Street. I guess they plan on making 75th St two way?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »
I guess they plan on making 75th St two way?

Don't take the route details literally.  They are intended to be conceptual, to facilitate discussion about what markets are being served.   Detailed routings and stop locations will be determined in a future phase of the effort.  Your earlier guess that the northbound part of the route would use 74th Street seems like a reasonable assumption for the time being.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2020, 09:57:39 AM »
By cutting bus services, the MTA have (perhaps inadvertently) targeted the old, disabled and those physically/psychologically unable to negotiate the subway system.

The MTA obviously believe the subway is a better way to travel around NYC. And I agree. It is.

But only for those either young or fit enough to ride it.

The NYC subway does take a certain amount of stamina to use...I can see that...

Offline mbassman

• Tourist
Reduced Bus Service For Jackson Heights
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2020, 10:33:22 PM »
The MTA is redesigning Queens bus routes and schedules from scratch.  The draft plan was just released on January 2nd.  If you live in Jackson Heights, you should be concerned, as our service will be reduced and our commutes lengthened.  We will lose all the buses that take us to the 74th st/Roosevelt subway station, buses will be less frequent, and some night service eliminated altogether. 

What can we do about this?  The plan is in draft state now.  Feedback to the MTA – directly and through our elected representatives - is critical in January and February

Please make every effort to attend the only MTA feedback session near us – in Corona, speak to our state and city reps, and register your feedback on the MTA website.

Here is a summary of the changes and their impact to Jackson Heights, feel free to use this in your communications with our representatives and the MTA.

The MTA’s draft Queens Bus Redesign plan will make Jackson Heights bus service significantly worse, and needs to be fixed before planning goes any further.

-   Removes east-west service to 74th Street/Roosevelt subway.
   The Q49, Q32, and Q33 will be eliminated.  The proposed QT10 and QT72 are north/south lines stopping at Roosevelt, which forces commuters to walk or take the #7 to get to 74th street subway hub.    Only 74th street is accessible via elevator, so the infirm will lose access to the subway.  The proposed QT61 will run north/south to Roosevelt along 75th street, isolating eastern Jackson Heights.

-   Removes east-west service to Long Island City and the Queensbridge express subway stop.
   The Q66 will terminate at Northern and 54th, which forces commuters to take a second bus or a local subway.

-   Removes bus stops.
   North/South bus lines will stop every two avenues or less.  For instance, the QT10 (81/82 st.) will have one stop between Roosevelt/74th and northern, instead of three.  This will be quite difficult for the elderly or infirm.

-   Reduces and removes night-time service.
   It is unclear in the draft, but it appears night time service will be reduced to every 30 minutes (from 20 minutes today), and cease between midnight and 5 A.M., using the QT10 as the example.

Please attend this in-person MTA feedback session:
Thursday, January 30, 6pm
Langston Hughes Library and Cultural Center, 100-01 Northern Blvd Corona, NY 11368

Please add your comments on this plan on the MTA website here:
https://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/comments_queensbus?fbclid=IwAR0GX1JYOlnIgwWlQTjrXWvrs3MXiu8j09-MdEuaCr-gIotUr3vNtA9JK1Q

Please call our representatives – calls are treated with more importance than email:
State Senator Jessica Ramos
718-205-3881
email: ramos@nysenate.gov

City Councilman Danny Dromm
718-803-6373
email: dromm@council.nyc.gov

State Assemblyman Michael DenDekker
718-457-0384
email: DenDekkerM@nyassembly.gov

The overview of the MTA Bus Redesign Plan is here:
https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/bus_network/queensbusredesign/draftplan

The detailed full plan is here:
https://new.mta.info/document/12706

Please add your name to a petition regarding east-west bus service available here:
https://www.change.org/p/mta-east-west-bus-routes-must-continue-in-jackson-heights?recruiter=1031970289&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi&utm_term=psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_by_id=9f866ac0-2d0e-11ea-9b05-69fe94b02004&share_bandit_exp=abi-19889736-en-US&share_bandit_var=v1&utm_content=fht-19889736-en-us%3Av2

Offline mbassman

• Tourist
Outreach session Wednesday Jan 8 - 74th st station, 4-7pm
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
I understand the MTA will have representatives at the 74thst/Roosevelt subway station this wednesday January 8th, from 4-7pm.  Please look out for them and give feedback!

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2020, 01:15:54 PM »
If MTA assume that most commuters will take subway, are they going to make all these newly design routes free then. As that will certain speed up the time and one of the reason for bus delay. Since we will eventually need to pay at the subway station.

Is the same for the airport bus, I never understand why they need to hire 3 agents to check ticket, other than try to scam tourist with $$$, I am sure most travelers doesn't stay in JH they most likely take the subway else where.

For 74th st, shouldn't they redesign that road or reroute the bus. That section alone take over 10 minutes. Maybe redesign the right side parking and make it to be always moving lane, change left parking to diagonal parking and have middle lane be standing.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2020, 03:01:51 PM »
If MTA assume that most commuters will take subway, are they going to make all these newly design routes free then. As that will certain speed up the time and one of the reason for bus delay. Since we will eventually need to pay at the subway station.

Is the same for the airport bus, I never understand why they need to hire 3 agents to check ticket, other than try to scam tourist with $$$, I am sure most travelers doesn't stay in JH they most likely take the subway else where.

For 74th st, shouldn't they redesign that road or reroute the bus. That section alone take over 10 minutes. Maybe redesign the right side parking and make it to be always moving lane, change left parking to diagonal parking and have middle lane be standing.

The airport bus is free half the time anyway, on what appears to be a semi random basis. It should absolutely be free all the time.

As regards what you say about 74th ... I get the feeling this plan was made in a sense of total helplessness about changing anything about the streets. They would rather inconvenience thousands of people than slightly reconfigure parking or aggressively ticket. On Sunday half of the block of 73rd between 37 & 37 (you know what I mean) was double parked. It's like bus riders have the absolute lowest priority behind anyone with a car at all.

Offline temujin

• Citizen
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2020, 05:22:17 PM »

The airport bus is free half the time anyway, on what appears to be a semi random basis. It should absolutely be free all the time.

As regards what you say about 74th ... I get the feeling this plan was made in a sense of total helplessness about changing anything about the streets. They would rather inconvenience thousands of people than slightly reconfigure parking or aggressively ticket. On Sunday half of the block of 73rd between 37 & 37 (you know what I mean) was double parked. It's like bus riders have the absolute lowest priority behind anyone with a car at all.

Not really free, if you still pay for the subway as JH is not final destination for most travelers. And is free transfer if coming by subway to JH.

There is also problem with 74 station road configuration. Happens to me two times in the past, was on the bus just sit there for 10+ min at the traffic light. The whole street just jam each other up. The bus coming on 75st to station is stuck, the bus going out to 74 is stuck, cause 75th is blocking the intersection for cars and bus on roosevelt which then block bus going down 74th street.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2020, 09:08:40 AM »
https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/01/07/op-ed-mtas-queens-bus-redesign-is-not-good-for-jackson-heights/

I have not heard anything from AOC on this. The last thing I remember from her about transit was when she said that people should jump over the turnstile in the subway.

I can not believe that they are getting rid of the bus to the beach in Rockaway. I have never been on it all the way to Rockaway but I have seen how much people enjoy going to the beach on that bus line. 

Offline dotley

• Council Member
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »
Probably the same mindset as the designers of the hunters point library
No understanding of the who and how of use
Lol but not funny

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2020, 09:10:30 AM »