Author Topic: Proposed changes to JH bus network  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Proposed changes to JH bus network
« on: December 31, 2019, 08:22:14 AM »
There's a new Queens bus redesign in the works and it appears they are completely eliminating the Q49. I've taken the Q49 multiple times and it's always packed because it's useful and important for those on 35th Ave from 77th St. to 88th St.

It also looks like the Q32 and Q33 will be eliminated as well, so there will no longer be bus service that travels on Roosevelt between 82nd and 74th. What are they thinking?

You can voice your displeasure here:
https://new.mta.info/queensbusredesign

Online lalochezia

• Mayor
Re: Q49 bus to be eliminated
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 08:42:55 AM »
This is a HUGE replanning of a complex system, and I'm sure there will be something for everyone to love and hate.

If you take the bus at all in queens, it's vital you read it.....

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 09:05:33 AM »
I just know that when I couldn't walk well due to a foot injury, the Q49 was a life saver. I wonder how many other people in the JH historic district who live off of 35th Ave also have mobility issues, etc. and can't deal with the 8 to 15 minute walk to the subway (depending on where they live).

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 09:17:25 AM »
Outrageous! How will the people who live in East Elmhurst each the subway?

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Outrageous! How will the people who live in East Elmhurst each the subway?

Quickly and directly along one of those north/south routes, it looks like.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2019, 10:49:15 AM »
I honestly don't take buses all that often, but after looking through the proposal and draft map, it seems like they've decided to simplify routes by making them primarily north-south or east-west between two endpoints, with important connections to the subway system.

My first concern is that they have practically eliminated buses that will take passengers directly into Manhattan, meaning a subway transfer will be necessary to complete your trip. Not ideal for the elderly or disabled.

My second concern is that this system will require people to transfer between bus lines more often, an unreliable proposition given how NYC Transit seems unable to keep buses to their schedules, and an uncomfortable proposition in inclement weather.

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »
So the only East/West buses will be on Northern now? We lose buses on 35th and on Roosevelt?

Eve though the 7 train is the "best" train in NYC, it's a bit silly to funnel everyone to the 7 given how unreliable it still is

e.g. just yesterday:

Due to a signal malfunction, 7 train service is suspended in both directions between 34 St-Hudson Yards in Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza in Queens. www.mta.infohttp://on.nyc.gov/2gFqaVT.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 05:00:27 PM »
So the only East/West buses will be on Northern now? We lose buses on 35th and on Roosevelt?

Eve though the 7 train is the "best" train in NYC, it's a bit silly to funnel everyone to the 7 given how unreliable it still is

e.g. just yesterday:

Due to a signal malfunction, 7 train service is suspended in both directions between 34 St-Hudson Yards in Manhattan and Queensboro Plaza in Queens. www.mta.infohttp://on.nyc.gov/2gFqaVT.

Not only that, but the only north-south route that connects to the main hub at 74th St. is the bus running on 75th St. It seems to me a lot of the people on that route could already walk or get to the 74th St. hub within 10 minutes or so. So now if you have an E or F train to catch and you don't like walking distance to that 75th St. bus route, you have to get on a bus that takes you only to a 7 train stop, or, in the case of the bus running north-south on 88th St., you could connect to the Queens Blvd line but only the local stops.

To me, it looks like it makes everyone's commute worse, or at the very least it involves a lot more walking. Some people who take the bus don't walk well and that's why they are on the bus in the first place.

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 08:04:37 PM »
It looks like the Q53 is also dead, which is/was the best bus in Queens.

There is a partial replacement for it, but the replacement starts at Queens Center and doesn't come to Jackson Heights or Woodside anymore.

Is there anything good about this plan? All I can see are bad changes

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 11:41:50 PM »
i'm torn. we live on 35th. first floor. bus stop more or less right outside. less idling and noise would be positive, but i would hate to see our neighbors be inconvenienced -- the 49 is really essential to so many people that i'd fight to keep it in place.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 01:30:05 AM »
It is like a drunk designed the new bus map.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
There's an outreach session on Wed. Jan 8 from 4 to 7 pm at the 74th St. station. If these bus changes will affect you and your neighbors, please show up.

https://qns.com/story/2019/12/31/mta-releases-draft-plan-for-redrawing-of-queens-bus-routed-with-emphasis-on-public-feedback/?fbclid=IwAR122XZyWYp73D-wIVu9AfpeMCLh_9lGuy8y7n7zaR4sjCFochi5DOtNgnw

There are also public workshops at other times listed in the link above, but none are in Jackson Heights. There is one in Corona.

Offline Meowtron

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 02:32:33 PM »
It’s super tricky... would love to maintain some semblance of the Q49 for sure (at least horizontally to 74th street), but perhaps with less stops and stops concentrated on blocks furthest from the train like 85th, 93rd/94th, 78th.

I do like the service to elmhurst though. It makes it easier to get to queens center mall which is tougher for people out in the mid 80’s. (Always a long walk and transfer or a bus and a transfer)

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
The elimination of the Q49, Q33 and Q32 bus routes will have drastic negative impacts on the Jackson Heights community. There will no longer be any busses going east-west to take people to and from the 74th Street Roosevelt ave subway station. It will prohibit people living within a wide neighborhood from traveling east-west. This will be a severe detriment to the entire neighborhood and especially to older adults, people with disabilities, people with young children, and families taking their children to and from our local schools. This redesign will create inequity in our neighborhood and leave vulnerable populations stranded, unable to access the subway and the wider community.

PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE THIS LINK ON YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE & GROUPS. ALSO EMAIL TO FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS. Thank you.

https://www.change.org/p/mta-east-west-bus-routes-must-continue-in-jackson-heights?cs_tk=Am_jUlSWQNtVADQDEV4AAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvGAd4nKyEiAm0nOebwHohyo%3D&utm_campaign=d49cb58849c842088fcf6d3d54016eac&utm_content=initial_v0_0_1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_signer_receipt&utm_term=cs

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
There's an outreach session on Wed. Jan 8 from 4 to 7 pm at the 74th St. station. If these bus changes will affect you and your neighbors, please show up.

https://qns.com/story/2019/12/31/mta-releases-draft-plan-for-redrawing-of-queens-bus-routed-with-emphasis-on-public-feedback/?fbclid=IwAR122XZyWYp73D-wIVu9AfpeMCLh_9lGuy8y7n7zaR4sjCFochi5DOtNgnw

There are also public workshops at other times listed in the link above, but none are in Jackson Heights. There is one in Corona.

Where's ToddG? I would think he'd be able to shed some light on this topic.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »