Author Topic: Jackson Heights buildings  (Read 1422 times)

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
Jackson Heights buildings
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:55:50 AM »
After this tragic incident I realized how vulnerable we all are in Jackson Heights because we have many tall buildings. Are there any buildings that people avoid walking under because of damage?

https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/city-council-speaker-corey-johnson-calls-for-probe-of-erica-tishmans-death/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
Re: Jackson Heights buildings
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
NYC is famous for being a place with tall buildings. The entire city has tall buildings.

The accident happened due to old terra cotta ornamentation falling from a building.

We have very few buildings with old terra cotta ornamentation.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
and we seem to be very much on the radar for DOB -- which helps explain the number of scaffolds on our residential buildings. i know that our building has done two long-term facade/parapet projects in the 17 years i've lived here. others have had even more (or had scaffolds up longer).

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:32:43 AM »
I don't at all agree that we're more vulnerable. There are already regulations for periodic facade inspections (like Local Law 11, which is a stricter version of a law that had existed since the 70s), as well as protection rules like sheds and scaffolds. I also want to point out that the original buildings in JH are actually built quite well, so well in fact that they can still withstand the deferred maintenance the 80s and the 90s saw here. Coops in the neighborhood have now become a lot better about addressing problems.
Tragic as this accident is, it is hardly a sign of an epidemic.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 06:30:45 PM »
I agree, this is not an epidemic but an emotional over reaction and an incident that very rarely occurs. 

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 08:15:12 PM »
How do I get in the scaffolding business?? Wow

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 09:16:11 AM »
I agree, this is not an epidemic but an emotional over reaction and an incident that very rarely occurs.

you're absolutely correct, but that's how this country operates now. remember how one guy out of 300,000,000 airline passengers unsuccessfully tried to set off a shoe bomb -- leading to a rule that all of us need to remove our shoes. things that ARE epidemic and dangerous are not dealt with, and won't be any time soon.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:28:56 AM by dssjh »

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 07:02:17 AM »
The evidence seems to suggest that there is a problem in NYC with buildings complying with the Local 11 law. I wonder how many buildings in Jackson Heights are in compliance. This article suggest that these rules are widely ignored.

https://therealdeal.com/2019/12/18/after-fatality-analysis-shows-facade-rules-widely-ignored-across-city/

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
The recent threads regarding awning and canopies can be viewed in a similar vein.  It's an accident waiting to happen.   

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
Oh, but some people don’t like the laws being enforced. They like the canopies and awnings the way they want them.   Who needs enforcement around here?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 10:00:29 AM »
Oh, but some people don’t like the laws being enforced. They like the canopies and awnings the way they want them.   Who needs enforcement around here?

we're not talking about awnings in this thread. very few awnings fall 17 stories, particularly here in jackson heights. we're talking about poor building maintenance and a tragic death that could have been prevented (it seems -- it is a bit of a freak accident, but these owners had been fined in the past).

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
People have also been killed by random branches falling on them in Central Park. And other parks. Apart from cutting down every tree in NYC, there are certain risks in life that being alive entails. And must be accepted. Acts of God...including being struck and killed by lightning.  Tho perhaps we should demand a giant metal shield over Gotham City to prevent lightning strikes? Where is Superman when you need him?

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 05:46:05 AM »
There also have been retaining walls that have collapsed next to buildings but again as with awnings that is not the subject of this tread. I will concede that the buildings with fancy ornate stone work and cornices that overhang the sidewalk are the most dangerous buildings for these events. That style of construction was done thirty years before Jackson Heights was developed. You see these crowns on some small buildings in mostly Astoria. There are tops of buildings in JH with ornate brick work that had to be either removed or replaced. There have been a few of these incidents before and the landlords of all these structures had received warnings prior to the fatalities. Politicians wants to push DOB to use drones to do more inspections.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/12/22/new-york-city-drone-inspections-department-of-buildings-erica-tishman/

Offline JK resident

• Mayor

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »
The evidence seems to suggest that there is a problem in NYC with buildings complying with the Local 11 law. I wonder how many buildings in Jackson Heights are in compliance. This article suggest that these rules are widely ignored.

https://therealdeal.com/2019/12/18/after-fatality-analysis-shows-facade-rules-widely-ignored-across-city/

Our building gets done every 5 years like clockwork. I know because I have to pay the addition to the maintenance for a year every time it happens.

This problem is really about those super high rises not our small 6 story buildings. Most of our buildings are back a ways from the sidewalk anyway separated by those front gardens.

Not saying it's not something to be vigilant about, but AFAIK I see all sorts of buildings in our hood with scaffolding up for LL11 all the time.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 10:09:40 AM »