Author Topic: Spectrum sucks  (Read 1401 times)

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Spectrum sucks
« on: December 11, 2019, 05:58:24 PM »
There’s an outage — again. Been going on for over 2 hours. They’re supposedly working on it but this is so annoying and happens so often—this company is one of the crappiest service providers in the world.

For those who have Verizon Fios, can you share how you got them? I’m called and written but they say it’s not available in my area (77th street). I know for a fact there are buildings on 76th that have FIOS.

Thanks!

Offline Eastway

• Tourist
Re: Spectrum sucks
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:05:11 PM »
Outage on 76th bet 35th & 37th.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
clear now, but third one in five days. not a plus when one works from home.

Offline buzz

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
I used to have verizon but they used the old phone lines and told me to up grade to a faster speed.  This did not resolve the issue and I went to Spectrum.  If you live in an apartment building paid off by cable back in the 90's then you won't get FIOS- which btw is way overpriced.  The whole communications business is  a ripoff.   It's like a legalized monopoly.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
Can someone who has Verizon Fios comment on their service?

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 08:46:58 PM »
I just wanted to share a tip with all the long-time Time Warner Cable customers out there. If, like me, your bills were approaching (or maybe even exceeding) $200 per month for the bundled service of cable+internet+phone, you can call Spectrum and ask to be switched to the Spectrum triple-play package and save yourself about $65 per month for the first year, and then about $20 per month when the introductory price expires. (There's a slight difference in the channels you receive, but I never really watched DIY or Logo anyway.) My bill just went from $187 to $124, and the internet speed is 30% faster, too.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
I have to admit the number of outages I've had in the over 10 years I've lived here have been pretty rare. I don't expect 100% uptime, it's just not realistic, but in my non-scientific estimation based on experience it's pretty solid. I've seen much worse.

We do have FIOS in the building now for around a year I think, I haven't jumped basically due to NY1. :)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 12:00:20 PM »
i've had time-warner/spectrum for 19 years and it's been pretty great until the last couple of months. have had more outages in December 2019 than in the previous 200-plus months combined. guessing it's a bump in the road.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »
dssjh:  I can only remember one TWC/Spectrum outage in 3 years and I live just around the corner from you on 77th St.   

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
that's really strange.literally had four within eight days. all starting in mid to late afternoon. each time, i called and was told 'there's no outage,' then got a call back saying 'there's an outage.' it's a hassle mostly because i work from home most days.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
I've had fios for 3 years.  Have not had a single outage, nor hiccup, nor slowdown in all that time.  If you forgo all the extra junk (tv/phone) that they want to add on and only get an internet plan then the price of$50-60 is well worth it considering the speed and reliability.

Offline BEB

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 07:50:18 AM »
I second Chingwa's experience. In my last apartment we had Spectrum for internet only and it SUCKED. Not very fast and innumerable outages that took out that entire Brooklyn neighborhood.

I can not speak to Fios's cable or land line service since I have never used it, but I give super high marks for their internet. If you require effective upload speeds like I occasionally do, Spectrum can't even touch Fios.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 03:10:06 PM »
Fios is da bomb. Fiber optic all the way.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on Fios, everyone!

Can anyone offer some background on how your buildings got Fios? Would really love to get that option in my complex. Many thanks!

Offline r

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
This older thread has some tips on how to get FIOS:

http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=19456.0

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »