Author Topic: Signage regulations  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
Signage regulations
« on: December 06, 2019, 06:19:12 PM »
It may have something to do with this
https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/12/02/why-brooklyn-businesses-are-getting-slapped-with-signage-fines-

It's terrible. takes the character away from so many businesses. Flat, graphic signs are so boring.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
Re: Signage regulations
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:15:03 PM »
With regard to the sign -- the new owner informed me that the sign was rotting off.  The wrong bolts were used and the previous owner never applied for a permit.  Very nice of him to take the time to respond. 

But still, I miss the sign.  A good sign adds so much character.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 08:32:34 PM »
agreed. i really dislike the trend of forcing businesses to accept uniformity of signage across a block of storefronts (like the block containing Dunkin', Ricky's, Tibetan-Japanese. reminds me of a sad suburban strip mall.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 12:07:31 AM »
It’s hardly a trend. They are simply putting back the type of signage that was original to the buildings. What I do find is a trend, are people opening up a business and putting up illegal awnings that are dangerous, without applying for permits, and putting their financial goals ahead of safety. So, if you hate the signs so much, why dont you just move?

Offline JHHD

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 12:20:34 AM »
Yes...safety.  Following the trend of signs falling and injuring people on the streets of JH, the obvious solution is a crackdown on small businesses.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 12:57:25 AM »
It’s hardly a crack down on small businesses. When you own a business big or small there are rules to follow. One of them, as basic as it seems, is to apply for permits for any work that you are doing that might involve safety.  You cannot just put signage that you like outside of your business as you see fit. That is ridiculous.  Take 5th Avenue for example. Do you see ugly signs and awnings hanging outside over the sidewalk advertising their business. No you don’t, because they apply for permits, and put up what is allowed and usually appropriate So why is Jackson Heights any different? Why do you see a crack down on small businesses in Jackson Heights when the laws are being enforced? Because you don’t like them?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 08:43:12 AM »
It’s hardly a trend. They are simply putting back the type of signage that was original to the buildings. What I do find is a trend, are people opening up a business and putting up illegal awnings that are dangerous, without applying for permits, and putting their financial goals ahead of safety. So, if you hate the signs so much, why dont you just move?

actually, that's entirely untrue. signage in Jackson Heights, like the rest of NYC, the rest of the USA, was never uniform and sterile -- it was always gloriously messy, wonderfully colorful and chaotic. only in the past few years have a few people clamored for homogeneity and attempted to cite "safety" to push their viewpoint.

for a look at the type of signage that was original to buildings around here, check out the awning-filled beauty of Jackson Heights in the "old days."

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/4025

https://oldnycphotos.com/products/82-nd-street-jackson-heights

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/83598136814772718/

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »
Yes, I think you are confused. There is a difference between awnings and signage

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
to quote a troll you know very well,

"It’s hardly a trend. They are simply putting back the type of signage that was original to the buildings. What I do find is a trend, are people opening up a business and putting up illegal AWNINGS that are dangerous, without applying for permits, and putting their financial goals ahead of safety. So, if you hate the signs so much, why dont you just move?"

and find me one -- ONE -- example of classic, 1930s, '40s, '50s -- signage that looks like the one i pointed out. you say it existed. prove it.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 10:23:41 AM »
Awfully demanding, aren’t you

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 10:39:59 AM »
thanks for the apology. i'll accept it graciously and move on.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 04:09:35 PM »
I think that there is some confusion  regarding signage/awnings and landmarks.  Prior to JH becoming an historic district, signage and awnings, especially in the 1980's, were both,  IMHO,  both garish AND unsafe. The one I remember the most was the huge airplane awning jutting out of the building on 37th avenue between 86 and 87 streets. It was some sort of money transfer/ travel agency.   In a snowstorm, the whole thing came crashing down onto the sidewalk.   While the signage/ awnings depicted in the prior links appear colorful and diverse, they  were uniform in such a way as to  highlight  the architecture of each of the buildings. You can see this on 82 street where the black glass signs have been put up. Each store does something different to the surface of it, but you can appreciate the building design. I do agree, however,  that  the cost of doing business necessitates permits for safety and for complying with Landmarks. I got so hungry typing that I think I'll go and get a slice or 2!!…..and keep my fingers cross that an airplane doesn't come crashing down on my head!   

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
I don’t know what apology you’re referring to, but since you’re a so called journalist I am assuming it’s just fake news. Thank

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
Those black glass signs are so boring and blah. I was really disappointed when they put them up. But yes, I am happy that the death rate has gone down considerably in the city since they stopped the sign-caused decapitation epidemic.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
four of my five kids died in sign related tragedies. fortunately, Alexandria survived.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »