Author Topic: Amazon in the Building  (Read 799 times)

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
Amazon in the Building
« on: December 02, 2019, 09:43:16 AM »
Amazon has placed a Hub in our building on 78th Street.  I wonder how many other buildings are getting this convenience/privacy invasion? 

While this seems to solve the problem of porch pirates, at least for small items that fit into a locker, I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)

I assume your co-op board or owner's association will discuss this with owners, but even if you opt out, that camera will still be there.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Amazon in the Building
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »
i hadn't heard about hubs being placed in residential buildings -- which seems like a pretty bad idea to me. i would hope that a board/management company would discuss this with shareholders/tenants before implementing it -- our board (which had a very different makeup back then) asked for input about putting cellphone towers on our roof many years ago. although the cash flow would have been beneficial, most of us objected (particularly residents on the top floor, who'd have faced the most potential negatives).

and, out of curiosity, what is the deal with the cutesy names for the hubs? Geranium? Dizi?

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »
Yeah, I agree with dssjh -- that's the kind of thing that should be discussed with owners/residents. I certainly wouldn't want that in my building and I wouldn't make a decision on behalf of my tenant-owners.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »
I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)

What? How would this affect someone who doesn't get packages from Amazon? The person would have no reason to visit the "hub" in that case. What am I missing?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)

What? How would this affect someone who doesn't get packages from Amazon? The person would have no reason to visit the "hub" in that case. What am I missing?

In the video advertising Amazon hub for buildings, they show people getting packages from anywhere and any shipper. In fact, they profile a young woman who saunters into a new construction high rise to receive a package put together and sent directly from her mom, which she picks up in the Amazon hub in her lobby.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/thehub/v1/video/hub_by_amazon_video_LP.mp4

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:30:24 PM »

In the video advertising Amazon hub for buildings, they show people getting packages from anywhere and any shipper. In fact, they profile a young woman who saunters into a new construction high rise to receive a package put together and sent directly from her mom, which she picks up in the Amazon hub in her lobby.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/thehub/v1/video/hub_by_amazon_video_LP.mp4

in our building, we call that "hub"  "the super."

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »

in our building, we call that "hub"  "the super."

I don't want a hub in my building, but given the huge increase in online shopping in the past few years, it seems like a corner of our lobby fills with packages every day. If a coop wants to have dealing with piles of packages to be part of the super's job, then so be it. Maybe not all buildings want the super to have to spend his time doing that, as it likely takes time away from other tasks.

The other thing is that piles of packages make the lobby look messy, and it opens up the possibility that outsiders will try to access the lobby in order to steal. (I don't think that's happened in our building but it could.)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2019, 08:13:31 AM »
I suppose eventually a package hub will be a desirable solution to messy lobbies.

Yes, at the moment, the lobby is full of packages every day. And it has happened that some have been lost. (Stolen? Who knows?)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 10:04:32 AM »
I suppose eventually a package hub will be a desirable solution to messy lobbies.

Yes, at the moment, the lobby is full of packages every day. And it has happened that some have been lost. (Stolen? Who knows?)

Yes, there’s surely a tipping point where a package hub would make more sense than a giant out of control pile.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »

So the issue is that the Amazon hub will be a package room for a building (instead of just being used for Amazon packages)? I guess I'm still not seeing the problem - is it the camera? If so, what is the benefit for Amazon other than it being a theft deterrent?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:12:45 AM by Lilybell »

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 11:35:18 AM »
granted, volume is MUCH higher with Amazon in the mix, but we've had package delivery for decades. UPS and USPS have managed to place packages in designated areas (by mailboxes, for instance) forever. i know Amazon treats its workers like crap and places premiums on piece work, but there has to be some way to rein in the chaos.

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 06:56:40 AM »
is it the camera? If so, what is the benefit for Amazon other than it being a theft deterrent?
Bingo.
Amazon is partnering with many police departments throughout the country to have the police departments urge people to install Ring cameras and setup a surveillance network. This fits in with that scheme. What do they get out of it? Maybe it's just lower shrinkage expenses, but who knows? In the meantime, smile when you pass by, you're on Candid Camera.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 07:45:02 AM »
 We had a package go missing over Thanksgiving weekend and it was a beloved Patagonia jacket, used for decades and sent out for a zipper repair. The thief probably thought it was a new item and wasn't happy to find this old worn coat in the package. If anyone sees a royal blue vintage jacket out there. with plenty of wear on it that someone just acquired, we would like to ask a couple of questions.

For the record, the JH Post Office was very helpful and so is the Patagonia company.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »

So the issue is that the Amazon hub will be a package room for a building (instead of just being used for Amazon packages)? I guess I'm still not seeing the problem - is it the camera? If so, what is the benefit for Amazon other than it being a theft deterrent?

I'm guessing that people have a problem with Amazon gathering more and more information about us and our shopping habits, etc.

I don't think I would have a problem with an Amazon hub in my building, but I'm not at the point of actively wanting one. At the moment I still think the pile of packages we get every day in the lobby is relatively manageable, even now at the highest shopping point of the year.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »
 Theft of packages here in Jackson Heights buildings - maybe homes- is now epidemic. People should
consider taking photographs of all of the delivery people they see from the ground level. Especially
anyone who has their face mostly covered by sunglasses, hats, hoodies. And photograph the vehicles
with the license plate clearly visible. There have been LOTS of thefts here lately and they are in plain
sight of us. Time to strike back and create a base of information to catch them. If you can't take the
photo, note the time and description of everything.

And yes, Amazon Prime, with their random delivery workers and vehicles, have changed this process of delivery and should take a share of the blame. Jeff Bezos, invest in your people and train them properly as you can afford to do this!!!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »