Get Connected > Neighborhood Chat

Amazon in the Building

(1/4) > >>

JHResident:
Amazon has placed a Hub in our building on 78th Street.  I wonder how many other buildings are getting this convenience/privacy invasion? 

While this seems to solve the problem of porch pirates, at least for small items that fit into a locker, I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)

I assume your co-op board or owner's association will discuss this with owners, but even if you opt out, that camera will still be there.

dssjh:
i hadn't heard about hubs being placed in residential buildings -- which seems like a pretty bad idea to me. i would hope that a board/management company would discuss this with shareholders/tenants before implementing it -- our board (which had a very different makeup back then) asked for input about putting cellphone towers on our roof many years ago. although the cash flow would have been beneficial, most of us objected (particularly residents on the top floor, who'd have faced the most potential negatives).

and, out of curiosity, what is the deal with the cutesy names for the hubs? Geranium? Dizi?

carrefour_ny:
Yeah, I agree with dssjh -- that's the kind of thing that should be discussed with owners/residents. I certainly wouldn't want that in my building and I wouldn't make a decision on behalf of my tenant-owners.

Lilybell:

--- Quote ---I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)
--- End quote ---

What? How would this affect someone who doesn't get packages from Amazon? The person would have no reason to visit the "hub" in that case. What am I missing?

Shelby2:

--- Quote from: Lilybell on December 02, 2019, 12:23:19 PM ---
--- Quote ---I wonder how much information we're surrendering to Jeff Bezos and Co.  (BTW, i understand that Amazon and Google already know everything about me, but I signed up for Prime and Gmail.  What about those that haven't?  I presume Amazon has at least one of their cameras installed on the Hub.)
--- End quote ---

What? How would this affect someone who doesn't get packages from Amazon? The person would have no reason to visit the "hub" in that case. What am I missing?

--- End quote ---

In the video advertising Amazon hub for buildings, they show people getting packages from anywhere and any shipper. In fact, they profile a young woman who saunters into a new construction high rise to receive a package put together and sent directly from her mom, which she picks up in the Amazon hub in her lobby.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/01/thehub/v1/video/hub_by_amazon_video_LP.mp4

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version