Author Topic: Rainbowberry  (Read 422 times)

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Rainbowberry
« on: November 09, 2019, 02:05:35 PM »
The shop seems to be departing. There's a "business for sale" in the window, and the opening and closing times have gotten more and more iffy. i never really patronized the place much, since it's not my thing, but i know a lot of folks enjoyed it. just a heads up.

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
Re: Rainbowberry
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 09:28:29 PM »
Would honestly love to have a real ice cream place there in its stead. Something like Ample Hills in Astoria...good ice cream, old timey, etc. We're missing that in the neighborhood. That gross weird self-serve yogurt is definitely not my thing either!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 10:28:18 PM »
I thought the yogurt at Rainbowberry was inedible. The customer service was also bad. I’m not particularly surprised to see it closing. On the other hand, there used to be a few froyo places in Astoria that were good, and two have closed—16 Handles in 30th Ave and Red Mango on Steinway. So maybe it’s just a hard business to sustain.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 10:30:55 PM »
An old timey ice cream parlor would be cool, but I think it's difficult for those kinds of places to make it these days since the supermarkets sell countless brands and flavors.  It used to be they only had vanilla, chocolate, strawberry and maybe spumoni.

Offline Ed

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 11:47:00 PM »
https://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids/restaurants/visit-eddies-sweet-shop-the-oldest-ice-cream-parlor-in-new-york-city

If somebody has the inclination, maybe they could do an "in house" ice cream service at Jahns...

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 05:49:49 AM »
Jahn's was originally an old time ice cream parlor and still makes an amazing ice cream Sunday! as well as other treats.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 05:49:49 AM »