Author Topic: Spectrum Sevice Issues  (Read 1149 times)

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Spectrum Sevice Issues
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
Just a note to anyone who uses Spectrum internet - as per the Spectrum technican I spoke with last week, Spectrum has reduced the power for the internet signal that goes to the cable modem. As a result our internet service slowed down a bit.

Also, heads up that we called for support and Spectrum charged us $50 for the visit!

Offline N00b

• Activist
Re: Spectrum Sevice Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 10:03:31 PM »
you absolutely need to fight that charge. that's ridiculous.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:31:18 AM »
Just a note to anyone who uses Spectrum internet - as per the Spectrum technican I spoke with last week, Spectrum has reduced the power for the internet signal that goes to the cable modem. As a result our internet service slowed down a bit.

Also, heads up that we called for support and Spectrum charged us $50 for the visit!

My internet has gotten worse lately. I have "jitter." It loses connections to live concerts.
I pay for 200 Mb.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 08:02:50 AM »
jh35:  I also pay for 200 mb but get much less based on periodic Spectrum Internet Speed Tests.  I contacted Spectrum who sent a technician (no $50 charge) who tested the modem with a device and the modem is receiving 200+ mb.  The problem is my computer which is not receiving the 200+ mb and I don't know why.  However, the speed that I'm getting is sufficient since I don't use the computer to play games or download music or films.  I have an second older computer and its getting the full amount of mb's that Spectrum is sending.  In my situation, the problem is not Spectrum.   

Offline r

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:16:32 PM »
Are you using 2.4 GHz for your WiFi or 5 GHz?

2.4 GHz WiFi performs very badly when many people are using 2.4 GHz near each other (e.g. dense apartment buildings) and you will probably get much faster speeds by using 5 GHz.

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 12:22:50 PM »
The Truth About Faster Internet: It's Not Worth It
Wall Street Journal Aug. 20, 2019
https://www.wsj.com/graphics/faster-internet-not-worth-it/

Americans are spending ever more for blazing internet speeds, on the promise that faster is better. Is that really the case?

For most people, the answer is no.

The Wall Street Journal studied the internet use of 53 of our journalists across the country, over a period of months, in coordination with researchers at Princeton University and the University of Chicago.

Our panelists used only a fraction of their available bandwidth to watch streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube, even simultaneously. Quality didn’t improve much with higher speeds. Picture clarity was about the same. Videos didn’t launch quicker.

Broadband providers such as Comcast Corp., Charter Communications Inc. and AT&T Inc. are marketing speeds in the range of 250, 500 or even 1,000 megabits a second, often promising that streaming-video bingers will benefit. “Fast speeds for all of your shows,” declares one online ad from Comcast.

But for a typical household, the benefits of paying for more than 100 megabits a second are marginal at best, according to the researchers. That means many households are paying a premium for services they don’t need.

etc.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:52:00 PM »
This is from the spectrum website, written by a customer in the community forum:
https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Spectrum-is-throttling-internet-speeds/td-p/136571

This is the problem I am having. It measures at 200 MB but I can not keep a connection for a live concert. My building is in the process of getting FIOS, I hope they are better.

Spectrum is throttling internet speeds.
I have a home based business that, I pay about $230/mo for my bill.
About two weeks ago. TWC/Spectrum redirected me to a page, on THIER website, asking me to check my settings, to see if I have any unauthorized leechers on my wireless modem.
I checked everything and all turns out OK.
So, I slected their button that all was fine, on our end.

I noticed since then. When I do a simple speed test. It would top out at about 330Mbps.
The, I decided to do an extended speed test to see if TWC/Spectrum were "throttling" my internet speeds.
It was spot on. Speeds would be fine the first 30 seconds or so, for initial speed test and then drop off raipidly to around 100Mbps, sometimes less.
I called TWC/Spectrum and the woman I spoke too talked to me like, I didn't know what I was talking about.  Needless to say. I've been in the internet business for over 20 years and have far more experience and knowledge what some woman did, behind a screen that was walking her through the troubleshooting tips.

She then told me, maybe engineering maybe behind it but offered no solution or help to stop this act. I pay  good money for my service and I do expect to get what I pay for.
Internet speeds drop off drastically after a minute of full blast use.
It not only effects my work, but also my TV experience.
In my office. We only have one cable line that comes into the house.
So, I have to use my Roku to be able to connect to TWC/Spectrum to watch TV.
You can tell it buffers, video quality is crap.
I even went out and spent good money for a much higher rated splitter because the TWC/Spectrum splitters get burned out within a week or two.

IDon't tell me how you guys don't "throttle" our internet.
I know you do and it's ILLEGAL.

Plus, it's NOT on my end.
Yet, you guys increased my bill to another $100 MORE a month, just a few months ago. For what, paying for crappy service?
There is no reason why this should be happening. NONE!!!

The TWC/Spectrum merger may have been great for the shareholders. But, not for the consumers.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 05:13:07 PM »
 Some buildings here in JH have bought these long contracts with Spectrum which are lumped right
in with maintenance. It's a horror and you have no say in these situations which is an extra expense
for those not interested in any change with their connections and for those who want a different configuration for their networking.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »
As I mentioned on October 23, although I was paying for 200mb, I was getting far less.  "r" suggested that the problem could be using WiFi-2G instead of WiFi 5G.  The Spectrum Technician was here this morning and switched me to 5G.  Before he arrived, the download speed was 63.6.  Its now 220.1 

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 04:10:20 PM »
Always test with a wired connection.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2019, 02:11:13 PM »
That's exactly what happened in my case. TW reduced the speed -- the technician said as much with a bullshit explanation of how that's better for me -- and then are trying to hold me accountable. Total scam, don't know how that's allowed. 

I have been hoping for FIOS but for some reason it's not available on my block (77th street). Those of you who do have FIOS, how did you get it? Thanks in advance!

This is from the spectrum website, written by a customer in the community forum:
https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Spectrum-is-throttling-internet-speeds/td-p/136571

This is the problem I am having. It measures at 200 MB but I can not keep a connection for a live concert. My building is in the process of getting FIOS, I hope they are better.

Spectrum is throttling internet speeds.
I have a home based business that, I pay about $230/mo for my bill.
About two weeks ago. TWC/Spectrum redirected me to a page, on THIER website, asking me to check my settings, to see if I have any unauthorized leechers on my wireless modem.
I checked everything and all turns out OK.
So, I slected their button that all was fine, on our end.

I noticed since then. When I do a simple speed test. It would top out at about 330Mbps.
The, I decided to do an extended speed test to see if TWC/Spectrum were "throttling" my internet speeds.
It was spot on. Speeds would be fine the first 30 seconds or so, for initial speed test and then drop off raipidly to around 100Mbps, sometimes less.
I called TWC/Spectrum and the woman I spoke too talked to me like, I didn't know what I was talking about.  Needless to say. I've been in the internet business for over 20 years and have far more experience and knowledge what some woman did, behind a screen that was walking her through the troubleshooting tips.

She then told me, maybe engineering maybe behind it but offered no solution or help to stop this act. I pay  good money for my service and I do expect to get what I pay for.
Internet speeds drop off drastically after a minute of full blast use.
It not only effects my work, but also my TV experience.
In my office. We only have one cable line that comes into the house.
So, I have to use my Roku to be able to connect to TWC/Spectrum to watch TV.
You can tell it buffers, video quality is crap.
I even went out and spent good money for a much higher rated splitter because the TWC/Spectrum splitters get burned out within a week or two.

IDon't tell me how you guys don't "throttle" our internet.
I know you do and it's ILLEGAL.

Plus, it's NOT on my end.
Yet, you guys increased my bill to another $100 MORE a month, just a few months ago. For what, paying for crappy service?
There is no reason why this should be happening. NONE!!!

The TWC/Spectrum merger may have been great for the shareholders. But, not for the consumers.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 04:43:59 AM »
Unfortunately, there aren't any more buildouts for FioS.  That's pretty much nationwide save for the areas where Verizon sold it off to FrontierNet (Florida for example.)  So, the only way to get FioS in the neighborhood is to move into a new construction where it's been made available or hope that the phone wiring in your building is so bad they end up pulling in fiber with the pleasant side effect that FioS becomes available.  Spectrum, with no competition, is free to do whatever they want. 

Offline r

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 10:09:54 PM »
Unfortunately, there aren't any more buildouts for FioS. 
This doesn't seem true - I know two (old) buildings in Jackson Heights where FiOS is being installed right now.

Offline r

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 10:20:14 PM »
I have been hoping for FIOS but for some reason it's not available on my block (77th street). Those of you who do have FIOS, how did you get it? Thanks in advance!

There are several things you can try

1. Apply for FiOS on the Verizon website even though you know it isn't available - eventually they should show you a 4 or 5 stage status page which says what the actual status of your building is (e.g. something like "waiting for approval", "construction started", etc)

2. If you are in the initial "waiting for approval" stage, confirm with Verizon and with your building what the problem is. Has Verizon sent paperwork that the building didn't respond to? Does Verizon know where to send paperwork to? Etc. The easiest way to do this is to escalate with Verizon via the 311 complaint website, make a complaint and someone from Verizon Executive Relations should call you. Try https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01058

3. If Verizon has been approved by your building but you have been waiting for construction for a long time, you could try making additional complaints via 311. It might also help if more people in your building try to apply for FiOS on the Verizon website (step 1).

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
Unfortunately, there aren't any more buildouts for FioS. 
This doesn't seem true - I know two (old) buildings in Jackson Heights where FiOS is being installed right now.

You missed the second sentence:  "So, the only way to get FioS in the neighborhood is to move into a new construction where it's been made available or hope that the phone wiring in your building is so bad they end up pulling in fiber with the pleasant side effect that FioS becomes available."

The former is what happened to my old building, and I got that information from the techs that pulled in the fiber.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »