Author Topic: I need a Bangladeshi (or South Asian) dessert  (Read 613 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
I need a Bangladeshi (or South Asian) dessert
« on: October 01, 2019, 01:36:09 PM »
I've been asked to bring a Bangladeshi or other South Asian dessert for a dinner party. I'd like to find a local place to purchase something. Any ideas for what or where? Hopefully something that will travel easily and well -- it seems some of their desserts tend to be custards and yogurts, which will be more difficult to take on the train.

Also, if you have any sense of which desserts would keep best for a day or two, that would be great. I might need to pick them up a day prior to the party.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Re: I need a Bangladeshi (or South Asian) dessert
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 05:19:09 PM »
Maharaja at 73-10 37th Ave. has a nice selection of Bengali sweets that should be stable enough to travel well: http://maharajasweetsny.us/bengali-sweets/ 
(I'm not sure how similar these would be to Bangladeshi sweets).   

And Rajbhog, Al Naimat, and a number of other places are nearby if you want more choices!

These sweets are pretty dense, so I find it works best to cut each piece into quarters before serving.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »
Thanks, Toddg. I went to Maharaja and got these:

The place was packed on a Saturday afternoon.

Offline the80s

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
That looks delicious! I've never been to Maharaja, but I'll have to check it out.

Rajbhog is my go to for sweets, and their prepared savory food is also top notch. Great flavors, excellent value. You can eat very well there for under $10 (and sometimes closer to $5).

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »