Author Topic: Uruguaya Bakery  (Read 5876 times)

Offline wv11372

• Resident
Uruguaya Bakery
« on: December 06, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Does anyone know the status of the "Uruguya" bakery on 37th Ave?  It has been in a state of construction for many months now.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike V

• Council Member
Re: Uruguaya Bakery
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:04:37 AM »
Its been under construction for at least two years possibly three.  I was told back then that it would be the same owner as nearby La Nueva Bakery which made little sense.  At this point, no one really cares whether it opens or not with La Nueva being so close.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Uruguaya Bakery -finally open!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 05:07:25 PM »
Hey, this place is finally open.  It has all the multi-colored triangular flying about that seem to always appear during a grand opening in this neighborhood.  Someone please check it out and report back!

37th Ave between 85th and 86th.

Offline Guacharaca

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:10 PM »
Hi, went to the Uruguaya bakery about 2-3 weeks ago and its really nice, it has a nice decor and they carry all the Uruguayan baked goods as well as some Colombian treats. Most of the baked goods are Italian and French influenced and are really tasty, i liked the coffee too, you should check it out if you have the time. ::)

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »
It's the same owners and baked goods that they have had at both versions of La Nueva for years now.  You can even see them walking the baked goods over to La Uruguaya from La Nueva between 86th & 87th Sts.  If you like La Nueva's stuff, you'll like La Uruguaya.

Offline elyaqim

• Activist
    • My ’blog
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 05:51:16 AM »
Apparently, Gran Uruguaya Bakery had quite the spectacle of an opening celebration with musicians and dancers. See the video “MANOS DEL CANDOMBE.”
Elyaqim Mosheh Adam (a.k.a. “Mark”)
Seventy-second Street
Blogger | Google+ | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:23:22 PM »
It looks like Gran Uruguaya Bakery is undergoing an expansion.  Soon the bakery will also occupy the space adjacent to La Nueva.  Business must be good.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »
La Nueva/Uruguaya is about to reopen tomorrow, according to a sign on the door. It has indeed expanded to the place on the right, which, if I am not mistaken, used to be a botanica. The counter is still where it used to be in the original place, with the sitting area now expanded to the new space. I like the nice, big windows they put in but I feel the place is a lot less cute than it was before. It looks very much like La Nueva on 86th, with many tables and chairs, bare walls and nondescript tiles on the floor. I liked the ambiance before much more -- it used to be more coffee-place-like.

Offline homeowner

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
That is great news!  Haven't gone in a while.  Looking forward to it.  :smiley6600: :)

Offline ECG

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 10:48:37 PM »
Did it?

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 01:01:35 AM »
open. nice inside, and less crowded than la nueva... so far. the last place was really tiny. this is a big improvement.

Offline pipman

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:33:23 PM »
Yes, La Uruguaya is more spacious and less crowded than La Nueva.  Space has no personality, but looks like they may not be finished decorating. All Neon and Flourescent lighting. Not sure why they don't make it appeal to a slightly different customer than La Nueva.  Same food, same overall look...just more space and cleaner floors.  Suggested to owner maybe they could add WIFI, but I doubt they would do that.

Offline mrleefromny

• Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 01:21:39 AM »
Walked by it yesterday and it looks like they doubled the square footage.  Didn't have a chance to buy anything.  Does anyone have any favorite dishes here?  I find their cheese and spinach empanadas to be delicious.

On an unrelated note, the fruit stand on 37th b/w 81st and 80th also expanded to the adjacent store, so it looks like some businesses are doing well enough to take on more space (and rent).

Offline madalyn

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »
Sorry to say that a friend and I stopped in last week in the afternoon for some tea and a little sweet from the many they have on display.  Friend had a Napoleon and I had a strawberry mousse-type thing.  In both cases, the dessert was very stale, as if it had been sitting for days and gotten dried out by the refrigerator case.

I've heard a similar story from others.

I do love the empanadas though but I go to the source - La Nueva - for them.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »