Author Topic: Those Dudes at 79th and Roosevelt  (Read 1929 times)

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: Those Dudes at 79th and Roosevelt
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
You guys need to think about this for a second.

This is not traditional police work. It's done undercover. Once a bust is made, the agent(s) have to be reassigned. Getting agents is hard enuf as they must blend in (language, customs, street smarts etc). Mostly, they use informants. First they make a bust some place, make a deal, and place the informant somewhere. Then step back. It's not a one step operation and it's dangerous work. Press, politicians, etc will only slow down progress, if any.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 03:45:52 PM »
All a journalist has to do is interview the old folks who are scared by the years long situation outside their front door.

https://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=18695.msg91431#msg91431

From the thread above on this forum.

And voila. The story writes itself.

"Seniors Petrified by Vice."

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 04:47:53 PM »
ABC and others --

The press would likely show up at an event -- like the aforementioned protest I suggested.

TV stations would likely show if they had something to cover that offered them footage.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
ABC and others --

The press would likely show up at an event -- like the aforementioned protest I suggested.

TV stations would likely show if they had something to cover that offered them footage.

Maybe, yes. But also an article in the press could work to start the ball rolling.
Actually, the thread with the fearful seniors is this one below. (86th Street)

http://www.jacksonheightslife.com/community/index.php?topic=19130.0

It does get confusing as there as various different hot spots in this neighborhood for vice.

Also Jeanette, this has been happening for years and years in Jackson Heights.
If the agents haven't been able to stop it going back many years now, I figure it might be time citizens and the press got involved.

There are those successful "Take back the Night" movements. We need a "Take back our Streets" one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:01:37 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2019, 06:52:41 PM »
Where should we start? I mean the NY Post is not the ideal, but oh boy I bet they'd have a field day with this one!

Maybe it's not so much a pitchforks and torches rally, but we rally with parents/kids, citizens, etc. for safer, drug-free streets. We can use Kamway lodge as the rallying cry and we can march right on down to the corner of 79th??  I'm thinking of the Travers Park "play in" as the inspiration. Boy ohhhh boy I would love to see those three guys' faces when this crowd shows up LOLOLOLOL

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 09:13:57 PM »
 I think a rally would be great and hope the electeds would attend. As for Roosevelt Ave,
I have seen led lighting in soft colors do wonders in other cities for tunnels and poorly
lit areas. The changes in technology make those lights easy to use now in places like
under the 7. Would really make a difference imho.

And the chef's death in the Kamway Lodge should've been a wake up call locally.

Offline McBoard

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 1953
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
It is amazing that problems that are so out in the open and obvious continue to persist. Maybe it's time to get a couple of hundred people together and occupy the 115th's precinct office. The 115th seems to cover too large of an area to police effectively (it really should be divided into two or three additional precincts), but the situation at 79th and the one in the 80s is so obvious that there really is no excuse for these activities to continue for so long.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
It is amazing that problems that are so out in the open and obvious continue to persist. Maybe it's time to get a couple of hundred people together and occupy the 115th's precinct office. The 115th seems to cover too large of an area to police effectively (it really should be divided into two or three additional precincts), but the situation at 79th and the one in the 80s is so obvious that there really is no excuse for these activities to continue for so long.

I would say that the next time citizens approach the 115th District with this complaint re:vice in our neighborhood, tell the police you are going to the PRESS and planning LOUD RALLIES unless action is taken.

I imagine results will be seen immediately. 

Offline 80JHer

• Citizen
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
Drug running and pimping prostitution in broad day light.

What exactly do our elected officials do all day? 

Raising awareness about this would seem to be priority #1 for just about any local official. 

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 09:47:12 AM »
You guys - we all have great ideas and it seems like we are seriously passionate about getting things done. I'm really down for organizing and throwing a peaceful (but very noticible) rally to raise awareness for this issue.

The key word here is organize. I have no experience at all in community organization, but would suggest a few of us meet IRL to plan what this would look like.

I also suggest that we post this to the 11372 FB group bc there are a LOT of concerned people over there.

I'm willing to devote time to organization and outreach if you guys are. Feel free to PM me and let's make something happen. It really will only take a few of us to get it started. I imagine there's a lot of us who feel the same way.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 07:34:27 AM »
Maybe set up a girl scout cookies selling table. The police would surely react to the complaints stemming from that.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
You guys - we all have great ideas and it seems like we are seriously passionate about getting things done. I'm really down for organizing and throwing a peaceful (but very noticible) rally to raise awareness for this issue.

The key word here is organize. I have no experience at all in community organization, but would suggest a few of us meet IRL to plan what this would look like.

I also suggest that we post this to the 11372 FB group bc there are a LOT of concerned people over there.

I'm willing to devote time to organization and outreach if you guys are. Feel free to PM me and let's make something happen. It really will only take a few of us to get it started. I imagine there's a lot of us who feel the same way.

Thankfully, it appears that the era of us having to put up with criminal behavior is coming to a close.

Most of the rest of New York wouldn't put up with what we see daily for even a minute.

Offline cultartist

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
I voted with enthusiasm for each of our current elected officials.  And I would again.  But you gotta wonder what they think about this situation. 

Offline KGDHP

• Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »
I voted with enthusiasm for each of our current elected officials.  And I would again.  But you gotta wonder what they think about this situation.

I wish they would respond to us or comment publicly on this matter. I have yet to hear a word from Dromm, Ramos, DenDekker, Moya, or AOC on ANY of these concerns. Not even a peep after the Kamway incident.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »

I wish they would respond to us or comment publicly on this matter. I have yet to hear a word from Dromm, Ramos, DenDekker, Moya, or AOC on ANY of these concerns. Not even a peep after the Kamway incident.

It's far easier to rail against Trump, than do something that might actually benefit folks in the district.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 10:10:07 PM »