Author Topic: Queensboro Grade  (Read 1586 times)

Offline am315

• Activist
Queensboro Grade
« on: September 03, 2019, 06:36:30 PM »
These days when you see "Grade Pending" in a restaurant window it really means that the establishment failed their recent health inspection and has a work to do to get it back. That's why it's worth taking a closer look at the rating by going to the DOH website. I saw the "Grade Pending" sign at Queensboro and then looked at the results of their inspection from 8/30.

Here's what the DOH says:
1) Food not cooked to required minimum temperature.
2) Hot food item not held at or above 140º F.
3) Cold food item held above 41º F (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.
4) Live roaches present in facility's food and/or non-food areas.
5) Filth flies or food/refuse/sewage-associated (FRSA) flies present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas. Filth flies include house flies, little house flies, blow flies, bottle flies and flesh flies. Food/refuse/sewage-associated flies include fruit flies, drain flies and Phorid flies.
6) Tobacco use, eating, or drinking from open container in food preparation, food storage or dishwashing area observed.
7) Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.
8) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.

I am sure like most restaurants they'll rectify the problems. And this is in no way meant to malign the good folks there. What it does show, however, is that the city is doing its job. We want them to find this stuff and we want the restaurants to do better.

Offline Crabby_Appleton

• Citizen
Re: Queensboro Grade
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:19:20 AM »
Have you ever worked in a bar or restaurant? Health inspectors are nitpicky jackasses whose entire reason for being is to bring in revenue from fines for the city. Sure, maybe the Queensboro could use improvement in some areas, but it's still shitty to post this on a neighborhood message board.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:28:55 AM »
Agreed!  And am315 provided inaccurate information which is I think is pretty crappy because it affects someone's livelihood. A Grade Pending does not signify a failed exam. It means they received a B or a C - and if the restaurant contests the grade, that's when the Grade Pending sign gets put up. A restaurant that fails gets temporarily closed.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »
Just to be clear: the first part of my post was my opinion. And indeed as you point out a C gets you a "Grade Pending," but that's hardly reassuring to customers in that it means the restaurant racked up more than 28 points of violations. In the most recent inspection, Queensboro had 48 violation points.
I have indeed worked in restaurants and, yes, the inspectors are a pain. But the violations listed are what they are, according to the inspector who was there. It's an imperfect system for sure.
I don't see why it's ``shitty'' to post this as IMHO diners should know and if this affects people's livelihoods, well, it's all the more incumbent on the restaurant to be spotless.

Offline voelteer

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »
It may not be "shitty," but at the very least this post raises eyebrows as having suspect motivations, seeing as the DoH website almost always lists a number of other JH restos with "Grade Pending" designations. So why single out The Queensboro? Why fail to mention others with similar conditions, which we all pass by on any given day?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 03:03:54 PM »
It may not be "shitty," but at the very least this post raises eyebrows as having suspect motivations, seeing as the DoH website almost always lists a number of other JH restos with "Grade Pending" designations. So why single out The Queensboro? Why fail to mention others with similar conditions, which we all pass by on any given day?

Agreed.

Suspicious.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
there was a period, some years back, when posters took particular relish (no pun intended) in noting the poor grades bestowed upon some Latinx or South Asian restaurants, ignoring similarly high violation accruals of diner/coffee shop/Euro-centric places. suspicious? perhaps. singling out the Queensboro? perhaps suspicious. perhaps it's a place the original poster frequents or passes more often. that said, i've never stopped going to a place i liked because of a bad DOH grade.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »
And indeed as you point out a C gets you a "Grade Pending," but that's hardly reassuring to customers in that it means the restaurant racked up more than 28 points of violations. In the most recent inspection, Queensboro had 48 violation points.
I have indeed worked in restaurants and, yes, the inspectors are a pain. But the violations listed are what they are, according to the inspector who was there.

No, Lillybell pointed out that a restaurant *challenging* violations results in a grade pending.

If you have significant experience with food service, or know people who work back-of-house, you'll hear about crazy violations. The most memorable for me is the inspector who stuck a thermometer in lettuce (in lettuce, like it's a protein!) that was being prepped for a salad and giving a violation for it not being cold enough. And that's why when you get a fast food sandwich with avocado in it, the avocado is rock hard and ice cold from being kept in the refrigerator.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 08:04:59 PM »
Why is everyone bashing this post? I am thankful for it. Who would want to eat at a restaurant with roaches and flies in their food?  I would love to see this place do well I live very close to it.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »
Agreed. This seems fair and not an attack on a particular place as we have seen here previously
many other local restaurants discussed with reference to grades and other issues. Not sure why
the Queensboro should have a special exemption.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:39:25 AM »