Author Topic: MetroCard Machines at 74th St Station  (Read 1199 times)

Offline am315

• Activist
MetroCard Machines at 74th St Station
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:47:28 AM »
Jfyi, all of the MetroCard machines at the 74th St station are only accepting cash. Every machine at every entrance is unable to accept cards. MTA person on the scene said it's some tech issue they are trying to resolve. For now, cops seem to be allowing people to go through the gates free if you don't have cash.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Re: MetroCard Machines at 74th St Station
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »
They've been out of order for a good week now. It's so annoying.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »
I think they are working again! I noticed none of them had the "cash only" banner this morning.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:37:58 AM »
Thanks. I contacted Dromm's office yesterday and they said they would like into the issue and they were told it was an internet connectivity issue. Btw, his office responded to my email in one day. Pretty amazing.

Offline thr

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 10:39:49 AM »
I was there on Monday August 26 when I tried to refill my Metrocard using my credit card. The machine hung and then asked me if I wanted to continue blah blah blah. Long story short I tried three or four times before someone else got in line behind me, so I let him go and he had the same thing.

Cut to yesterday when I tried again at a different station only to find that I had a insufficient funds on my credit card! I call my credit card and lo and behold, two [attempted] transactions went through after all, but are still "on hold." The card company said the transactions will "probably" be cancelled by tomorrow and if I have any problems I have to deal with MTA.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to tokens.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 12:06:51 PM »
I use the EasyPay Xpress cards so I don't have to deal with those awful machines (and lines for the machines). It's not a solution for everyone, but in case people don't know about it, here's the link. https://new.mta.info/easypay

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 12:15:18 PM »
Cut to yesterday when I tried again at a different station only to find that I had a insufficient funds on my credit card! I call my credit card and lo and behold, two [attempted] transactions went through after all, but are still "on hold." The card company said the transactions will "probably" be cancelled by tomorrow and if I have any problems I have to deal with MTA.

Something similar has happened to me. Because it involved me attempting to fill my senior card, MTA seized my card. It took about 2 months for everything to settle and for my card to be restored.

Offline thr

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 01:17:04 PM »
Thanks @Shelby2.

I just signed up for EasyPayXpress, though it seems to me that if you're going to shorten "Express" to "Xpress" then you might as well shorten "Easy" to "EZ" for that extra cornball feeling.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
Jfyi, all of the MetroCard machines at the 74th St station are only accepting cash. Every machine at every entrance is unable to accept cards. MTA person on the scene said it's some tech issue they are trying to resolve. For now, cops seem to be allowing people to go through the gates free if you don't have cash.

It seems ridiculous that the more that MTA tries to "improve" something the more it gets worse.  It's truly sad that MTA can't get their act together and improve service and not simply gouge and inconvenience the paying public.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:44:37 PM »
Just to be clear: the MTA and every other public transit agency in the world do not "gouge the paying public" -- they charge fares that are lower than the cost of the service they provide.  No major public transit agency in the world is viable without either (1) cross-subsidies from taxes or tolls, or (2) laws that allow them to invest in property for profit.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:13:02 PM by toddg »

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:57:31 AM »
Check out the easyride MTA card. It works with a credit card and automatically refills as needed. There are not time limits (i.e. weekly or monthly card). We have used this method for over 8 years and it is wonderful and really safe.

https://new.mta.info/easypay

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:11 AM »
Check out the easyride MTA card. It works with a credit card and automatically refills as needed. There are not time limits (i.e. weekly or monthly card). We have used this method for over 8 years and it is wonderful and really safe.

https://new.mta.info/easypay

I believe the MTA could make far more money running their real estate holdings more efficiently. The retail spaces they have in the subway are way under utilized.  Apartments buildings could be constructed over subway stations such as Roosevelt Ave. They need someone with a smart commercial business mind to run that side of the MTA. And better diversify their valuable real estate holdings. With the extra funds going into improving the subway service.   

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »
in general, i agree wholeheartedly, though Roosevelt Avenue might be tough, given the size and shape of the parcel, and the unpleasantness of having a bus depot under your apartment.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 02:27:32 PM »