Author Topic: Do you Fage?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
Do you Fage?
« on: December 04, 2008, 12:42:06 AM »
Greek style yogurt seems to be all the rage these days according to AM New York, and taste tests reveal the Fage brand comes on top.

I love Greek  style yogurt, and usually mix it with chopped walnuts, a little Torani syrup or honey. :smitten:

Explore a different ‘culture’: Go Greek

The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
Re: Do you Fage?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »
I have been eating Fage Total yogurt for years.  I love it.  I can't stand regular supermarket yogurt - they all taste artificial to me and have a weird aftertaste. 

I eat the plain 0% fat version and add a tiny bit of honey.  It's also a great substitute for sour cream because it's much thicker than regular yogurt. 

I normally don't like fat-free versions of dairy products (is there anything worse than fat-free sour cream? yuck), but I can't tell the difference between Fage's 0% and 2% options. 

judibean

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
I prefer Fage over regular yogurt because it's not inundated with processed sugar.  I like putting honey and raspberries in mine!

Offline Chuckster

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
Has anyone tried straining their own yogurt to create a similar texture to that of Greek yogurt?  I used to buy the large plain Dannon and strain it in cheesecloth overnight.  The next day I had a much thicker yogurt which I enjoyed also with fruit, nuts, etc.
The Chuckster has spoken!

Offline jsh

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
Even better than Fage (especially since I think their yogurt has gone slightly down hill recently now that it's being made in the US rather than in Greece - still the best of the big brands) - anyway, better than any of the big brands is Kesso - made nearby in E Elmhurst!  Sold in markets and at their retail stores.  Funny thing is I've been to The Yogurt Place II in Soho, but never tried their original location on 77th north of Ditmars. http://www.yogurtplacenyc.com/

I love the preserves they serve with the yogurt at the Soho store - I'll have to see if you can buy individual servings like that at the E Elmhurst location.

I think Trade Fair carries Kesso?  Maybe the health food store as well?  I know I've bought it around here, just now sure where.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Berry Fresh Farms in Astoria as well.

Offline 718mom

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
Of course!

Offline buddy

• Mayor
    • work
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »
Berry Fresh Farms has a big variety of Greek yogurts plus a selection of other organic yogurts that I don't see everywhere.  I'm always trying a new one when I shop there.

My latest fave way to eat the plain ones are with granola, raisins and strawberries or blueberries mixed together like a parfait.
First, do no harm.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:05:41 PM »