Author Topic: Where is my kebab truck?  (Read 595 times)

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
Where is my kebab truck?
« on: August 10, 2019, 02:10:05 PM »
Okay. So for months, I relied for my cheap dinners on my passionate love of the Main Bakhtar kebab truck at 37th and 73rd. Seven goddamn dollars, and the rice was amazing. You could make a meal just out of the rice and sauce, but there was also salad! And meat! Truly a joy.

Now (sob) it's gone, replaced by multiple redundant repeating fuschka trucks which are not to my taste and thus irritate me. Is there anywhere nearby I can get a similar sub-$10 kebab platter? Afghan #4 does not count, because all of their plates cost, like, $20, which may be why I never see anyone in there.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
Re: Where is my kebab truck?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
I've ordered from this truck many times and it was always good and a bargain at $7 no tax.  The exact meal takeout chicken kebab at Afghan #4 is $18.50 with tax and its not any better.  I've ordered from a truck with similar food and price on Broadway & 72 st on the East Side of the street.  Its been a while so I'm not certain if its still there. 

Hopefully, it will return. 

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 09:25:47 PM »
that's weird because i was bummed about fuska house being gone for weeks. the one on 37th. is that back? i mean, i like the kabab cart and hope it returns, but i really liked the fuska house, which is back. i wonder what the deal is.....

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04:08 PM »
Yeah, it's back.

One fuska and one kebab at that corner were perfect. Two fuskas and no kebab makes me sad. Today there were two fuskas and one generic street meat, which was just like, huh?

that's weird because i was bummed about fuska house being gone for weeks. the one on 37th. is that back? i mean, i like the kabab cart and hope it returns, but i really liked the fuska house, which is back. i wonder what the deal is.....

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Is Kebab King not an option for inexpensive kebabs? I haven't been there for years so I have no idea if they are any good but it seems popular with taxi drivers.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 11:48:54 AM »
Kebab King on 73rd Road (Pakistan/Indian) kebabs are ground meat (chicken, beef, lamb) inexpensive ($1.50 - $2.00 each).  The kebab truck and the Afghan #4 restaurant are solid chunks of meat which comes with brown basmati rice, salad and bread and sold as a complete meal.  At Kebab King the rice is ordered separate and is different and in my opinion not as good. 

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »
I walked by 37th Ave & 73rd St in front of Duane Read this afternoon and the Afghan Kebab truck that had food similar to Afghan Kebab #4 is gone.  It has been replaced by Nawid Halal Food truck similar to the two truck in front of TD Bank on 74 St & 37th Ave and the two trucks on 73 St & Broadway in front of the former Sterling National Bank.  Very disappointing. 

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:04 PM »