Author Topic: Eater Map: Where to Eat in JH  (Read 980 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
Eater Map: Where to Eat in JH
« on: August 08, 2019, 02:41:23 PM »
Robert Sietsema is out with his eagerly awaited map of places to eat in Jackson Heights.

His list:

1. Taste of Lahore
2. Cannelle Patisserie
3. Al-Naimat Sweets & Restuarant
4. Mustang Thakali Kitchen
5. Samudra
6. Taqueria Coatzingo
7. Café Salamanca
8. Raan Kway Teow
9. The Queensboro Restaurant
10. El Perro
11. La Boina Roja
12. Copacabana
13. El Maguey
14. Picanteria El Austro
15. Papa's Kitchen
16. Juanita’s
17. Pizza Sam
18. Tacos Morelos

All winners (Mostly)!  I might quibble a bit at the edges of this list, but they're largely solid suggestions.

But there are so many more treasures that didn't get included.   What's on your list of can't-miss JH eateries that should be included on Eater's map?   I'm going to put my thoughts together and post later tonight.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
Re: Eater Map: Where to Eat in JH
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »
Okay, here's my must-not-miss list:
1. El Rico Tinto
2. Urubamba
3. Bistro Eloise
4. Arepa Lady
5. Unidentified Flying Chickens
6. Delhi Heights or Sagar
7. La Esquina Del Camaron Mexicano
8. Kitchen 79
9. Pio Pio (okay, it's a chain that can be found elsewhere, but they do a great job and remain extremely popular)
10. Many-way-tie for superb Himalayan restaurants, especially Lali Guras, Himalayan Yak, Lhasa Fast Food, Phayul, and Little Tibet.

And I can't resist a few substitutions as well...
- Arepas Burger instead of El Perro
- Dosa Delight instead of Samudra
- El Chivito D'Oro instead of La Boina Roja

What do you think?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:29:29 PM by toddg »

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »
 I like Todd's list better than the first one. My personal preferences...

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
These sorts of lists are always a bit suspicious. You have to consider whether the source has some sort of personal relationship or familiarity with the establishments that make the cut. I also find it rather useless to just have the businesses named without some comment about why they were picked: Was it for a particular dish they are known for or is everything on the menu wonderful? Do they get customer service and ambiance done better than their nearby competitors? I've had disappointing experiences with particular establishments on both of these lists, so if people are going to give more of their personal preferences or recommendations here, I'd like to know why.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 11:30:53 AM »
Seitsema's lists are always just places he's been (lately or in the past), not in any way a Best of list. He doesn't say that either, so I respect that part (on the low). I just have issue with people following where he's going thinking these are the best places when they are clearly not the. I'd leave off half that list but whatever

- and I am pretty sure he has no relationship with the owners because he rarely gets inside scoops or information.

Offline toddg

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 12:57:45 PM »
Just to be clear, Robert Sietsema is one of my favorite NYC food writers, and a true city treasure.  We're fortunate that he spends so much time in JH and covers our local food scene so well.  I agree with Jeff that this article does not purport to be a thorough investigation into the "best of the neighborhood."    I provided my additions to his list in the spirit of sharing the places I like and recommend to people who ask me where I like to eat.

If you have questions about why these places were picked or what to order there, I do recommend clicking through to the article.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 12:58:47 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Taqueria Coatzingo is a shadow of its former self? The last few times I went were really disappointing.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 05:49:29 PM »
Seitsema's lists are always just places he's been (lately or in the past), not in any way a Best of list. He doesn't say that either, so I respect that part (on the low). I just have issue with people following where he's going thinking these are the best places when they are clearly not the. I'd leave off half that list but whatever

- and I am pretty sure he has no relationship with the owners because he rarely gets inside scoops or information.

having a relationship with owners, IMO, would be a negative, because it would color an opinion -- sleazy writers give more ink to their pals than strangers.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2019, 05:39:09 AM »

having a relationship with owners, IMO, would be a negative, because it would color an opinion -- sleazy writers give more ink to their pals than strangers.

Yes but I would love some information about a place other than what you can gather from looking at the menu and what robert seitsema ordered

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »
Sietsema also doesn't like writing about places that other people have written about a lot recently, and I think that's a good thing. For instance, he is avoiding the whole momo trend, I think in part because he thinks it's overheated. Which it is, at the moment. Good but overheated, press-wise.

I agree that Coatzingo has declined in quality ... where am I ordering from now? Mostly ERT and Morelos, I guess. Also I think Salamanca is a weird choice, but he does make the point there are very few Spanish restaurants in NYC.

Now that I write that, I wonder if Sietsema is living a bit in the past. The Colombian hot-dog situation, Boina Roja, Salamanca, Coatzingo - they were all awesome in, like, 2008, right? And they may have passed their prime.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »