Author Topic: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
Re: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2019, 09:02:44 AM »
Unqualified for what?  Voicing an opinion?  Mental Illness is often self-evident and you aren't required to be an expert to speculate on a public internet forum.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 11:22:42 PM »
... and you aren't required to be an expert to speculate on a public internet forum.

Painfully true. Though nearly everyone attacks subjects like they are infallible experts.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2019, 09:38:04 AM »
Unqualified for what?
I was very clear about what unqualified armchair internet psychiatrists are unqualified to do: give a diagnosis.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
You're just labeling people as "unqualified" in order to negate what they are saying.  its rather condescending to call someone an armchair internet psychiatrist just for labeling someone as mentally unwell.  This isn't a "diagnosis", no one is prescribing medication here,  they're just using words to describe their experience.  Lighten up.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
This is NYC and when you feel uneasy. trust your gut.  You don't need a degree for that.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »
You're just labeling people as "unqualified" in order to negate what they are saying.

that's rather the point

its rather condescending to call someone an armchair internet psychiatrist just for labeling someone as mentally unwell.

I haven't called someone an unqualifed armchair internet psychiatrist just for labeling someone as mentally unwell. I've called them an unqualified armchair internet psychiatrist for offering a diagnosis of mental illness - and specifically paranoia - because someone gave them a dirty look (or had dirt in his eye).

This isn't a "diagnosis", no one is prescribing medication here,  they're just using words to describe their experience.

No, the words I have taken issue with don't describe the poster's experience. The words in question offered a psychiatric diagnoses to label someone else's experience (the person in the title of this post).

You also don't need to get a prescription in order to get a diagnosis from a doctor.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »
Call 311 and ask to have a street outreach team sent to the area.  Street Outreach is a service that is funded by the city but the services are provided by a number of non-profits that can offer healthcare including mental health services, drop-in centers, supported housing, etc.  The object is to get people off the streets, stabilized, and into housing.  They do a great job reaching out and convincing homeless people that there's an alternative and in fact better life off the street.

https://breakingground.org

https://www.cucs.org

This sounds like the best advice for the OP.

Offline francis

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2019, 02:19:48 PM »
This happened to me once at the entrance to the now "Diversity" plaza.   I had seen this guy several times and he appeared harmless.  Mental illness is unpredictable however and you never know when some one is going to go off. In this specific instance, I had to call 911.  I think the adage "If you see something, say something" is the best advice.

Offline jo3boxer

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2019, 04:19:38 PM »
i'm the first person to call myself rude and even a dick but you take things to another level. what are you missing in life that parading around jackson heights life forums, starting shit, and subsequently always trying to have the last word  is what gets you off?

i'm not a sex therapist so i'm not sure it actually gets you off but don't take it too literally there captain flannel.

You're just labeling people as "unqualified" in order to negate what they are saying.

that's rather the point

its rather condescending to call someone an armchair internet psychiatrist just for labeling someone as mentally unwell.

I haven't called someone an unqualifed armchair internet psychiatrist just for labeling someone as mentally unwell. I've called them an unqualified armchair internet psychiatrist for offering a diagnosis of mental illness - and specifically paranoia - because someone gave them a dirty look (or had dirt in his eye).

This isn't a "diagnosis", no one is prescribing medication here,  they're just using words to describe their experience.

No, the words I have taken issue with don't describe the poster's experience. The words in question offered a psychiatric diagnoses to label someone else's experience (the person in the title of this post).

You also don't need to get a prescription in order to get a diagnosis from a doctor.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
curious as to why you made a rare post to take on Captain Flannel for some perfectly reasonable commentary on their part.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2019, 11:57:28 PM »
Unqualified for what?
I was very clear about what unqualified armchair internet psychiatrists are unqualified to do: give a diagnosis.

As a life long New Yorker, I can can make a diagnosis. A person who lives on the street, who is dirty as Fu..K, stinks to high heaven, and stares down people who are walking down the street, are just nuts.  You are a raging liberal (I am pretty darn liberal myself)!!!!  You must be the dumbest NYer ever.  My guess is that you are not a life long New Yorker.  I am guessing that you moved here and view yourself as the Mother Theresa of the homeless population.  For your information tourist, this is a population that has problems when they are living on the streets, stinking up the entire neighborhood, making people who pay taxes, own homes worth almost a million dollars (that's what it costs to live in the Hawthorne Court), and have to walk around with children who under the age of 6, feel uncomfortable in their own neighborhoods. From my perspective, it is far more humane to get these people the help they need so that they don't end up living on the streets, stinking up the entire block that they choose to be in, and bothering tax paying, home owning, citizens.  There are tons of cases where this population (mentally ill people who are unable to care for themselves and are not provided the medical care that they need) end up hurting innocent people.  They violently assault people.  On that note, I feel really bad for the victims of crimes committed by mentally ill homeless people:

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Homeless-Man-Accused-of-Attempted-Rape-of-NYC-Shelter-Security-Guard--506219261.html

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Rape-Queens-78-Year-Old-Woman-510752991.html

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-man-who-allegedly-knocked-out-73-year-old-womans-teeth-during-rape-attempt-arrested-police

https://nypost.com/2018/09/01/disturbed-homeless-man-busted-for-attempted-rape-on-mta-bus-cops/

https://pix11.com/2018/12/26/homeless-men-face-charges-for-fighting-nypd-officer/

You choose to attack people who raise legitimate concerns about this population and the safety of our community.  On that note, you are a complete and total jerk.   In closing, one does not have to be an expert to see that someone is mentally ill based on the circumstances that are evident, e.g., super dirty, living on the streets, super smelly, destroying property, staring people down (if you are a New Yorker you know what this means, I am guessing you are not a New Yorker - thanks for visiting), and being a nuisance to the entire community. I bet you have never invited one of these people to your home or to socialize with you, yet you put the rest of us down for being concerned for them and our own safety.  That makes you a hypocrite.  Again, thanks for visiting New York.  When are you going back home - we can't wait for that to happen.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2019, 06:17:18 PM »
and what of links to stories about nice suburban families where a nicely-bathed, professionally-coiffed, completely insane man kills his wife and kids. a clean body can hide a maggot-infested soul. but of course, those guys get a pass from you. because you aren't as scared of them as their kids are.

big hugs.

Online KGDHP

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »
I just want to say that as a casual observer, this has got to be the most ridiculous conversation on this site.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »
wait until the election cycle kicks in.

[Moderator's Note: ...and with that depressing prediction, dssjh gets the last word.  We're locking the thread, because as KGDHP notes, this is ridiculous.  There was no justification for trolling the OP for expressing a sincere safety concern.  In the future, if you disagree with a poster's assumptions, do the rest of us the courtesy of expressing your disagreement respectfully.

Please also note that we have a longstanding policy seeking to protect the privacy of all members of our community, including our homeless neighbors.  It's okay to raise concerns, as the OP did, about potentially dangerous behavior.  It would not be okay to speculate about the circumstances or mental state of an identifiable member of the community.  While the OP did comment on the behavior of the potentially dangerous person he/she was describing, and while we can have a debate about the propriety of saying a transient person "appeared to have serious mental illness and almost appeared paranoid," this is not quite the same as attaching these labels to somebody who lives in the community.   Please keep these considerations in mind in future discussions about the homeless on this board.  Thank you.]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:27:08 PM by toddg »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2019, 07:19:58 PM »