Author Topic: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue  (Read 2354 times)

Offline paran

• Tourist
Re: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
Some may know this guy, but you cannot blame anyone for being worried about this. Especially with the things that are going on these days in the City (and in JH).

For example, today's news: "Teen exiting NYC subway station raped by panhandler after brushing him off"

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-upper-east-side-rape-20190808-3egs3mkrine4xj753dyf2ujupy-story.html

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 11:10:58 AM »
by that logic, people should be concerned about getting married because an ex spouse could murder them -- see the nail salon story above. in fact, since hundreds of men murder their exes every year over relationships ending, maybe we should clamp down on relationships. or men. or both.

Offline KGDHP

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 11:15:04 AM »
Some may know this guy, but you cannot blame anyone for being worried about this. Especially with the things that are going on these days in the City (and in JH).

For example, today's news: "Teen exiting NYC subway station raped by panhandler after brushing him off"

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/ny-upper-east-side-rape-20190808-3egs3mkrine4xj753dyf2ujupy-story.html

Let's be real...you can see this guy clearly jumping the turnstile. Would be awesome if we could actually crack down on the people that do this...maybe if he had gotten stopped by the cops, we could have prevented a young 19-year old from being raped. But, GOD FORBID, because "injustice."

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 06:43:05 PM »

Exactly, I remember a few years ago some crazy guy hit a woman with a hammer and another got hit with a brick. Better be safe than sorry.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
by that logic, people should be concerned about getting married because an ex spouse could murder them -- see the nail salon story above. in fact, since hundreds of men murder their exes every year over relationships ending, maybe we should clamp down on relationships. or men. or both.

You have some crazy logic.

Offline EmmBee

• Tourist
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 11:57:45 PM »
To be clear, I've never seen this guy panhandle.  He's never interacted with anyone as far as I have seen.  If someone is worried about safety, be glad he's there.  More eyes on the street.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2019, 07:27:56 AM »
Today I noticed an aggressive homeless white man, about 6'2'' on 37th Ave.  He was walking up and down 37th Ave in the afternoon sort of kicking things around. He looked at me aggressively - sort of angry - when I was walking holding my girls' hands (ages 3 and 5). In the evening I saw him sitting in front of the liquor store on 76th and 37th Ave.  He had what appeared to be a pile of US Postal mail that he was going through and literally throwing the stuff on the floor after going through it.  He looked at me like he wanted to fight. He was looking at other folks the same way.   

What the hell is going on in this neighborhood?  I hope its not a harbinger for things to come.  Let's not kid ourselves, DiBlasio is probably the worst mayor we have ever had in this city.  He has done nothing to deal with this population.  The police are completely absent.  I suspect that he's going to hurt somebody at some point.

Wow, aggressive looks. Cool story, bro.

You may not care about things like this.  Some people do. 

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2019, 07:32:11 AM »
I've walked past this man probably dozens of times and never seen him pay any attention to anyone around him.  I've given him a couple bucks a couple times, and he responded with a polite thank you each time.  From what I've seen from many occasions, he's not a problem at all.

I was not referring to the elderly homeless guy.  He's maybe 5'8'' and keeps to himself.  The guy I was referring to was much taller and appeared to have serious mental illness and almost appeared paranoid.  Fortunately, I haven't seen him since. 

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
The homeless man who is currently sits on the bench outside of Food Dynasty and the Liquor Store has been in the neighborhood for at least 10 years.  Almost all of this time was spent both inside and outside of Starbuck's.  I have seen him hundreds of times over the years and he has never been aggressive, asked for money or drank alcohol.   

Years ago, on two occasions, I saw him coming out of a two story building on Roosevelt Ave.  The first floor was a bar and on the second floor were tiny rooms (cubicles) that contained just a bed that the owner rented.   This is what I was told by a business owner in the area that was familiar with the building.   Again, this was years ago so I'm not certain if he still sleeps there. 

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »
The guy I was referring to was much taller and appeared to have serious mental illness and almost appeared paranoid.

Internet armchair psychiatrists would be well advised to recognize their diagnoses have zero value.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2019, 02:43:02 PM »
You don't need certification to use adjectives.  Get off your high horse please.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 08:08:53 PM »
A psycho is just a psycho .... by any other name 8)

Offline Grabey

• Activist
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 09:14:28 PM »
The guy in front of Food Dynasty has been here for years and never a problem. I was more put off by the guy who would hang out in front of the deli asking for $$ for a sandwich. Haven’t seen him around lately.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 11:32:33 PM »
The guy in front of Food Dynasty has been here for years and never a problem. I was more put off by the guy who would hang out in front of the deli asking for $$ for a sandwich. Haven’t seen him around lately.

He wants it for alcohol. He asked for won-ton soup outside the chinese restaurant. I said, I'll buy you some soup, sure lets go. He then again asked for $$ for soup. I said, I'll buy it for you lets go. Then he said I just want $5 for a sandwich, just give me $5. Nope.

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »
You don't need certification to use adjectives.

It's worth reminding people that unqualified armchair internet psychiatrists making diagnoses of mental illness (and specifically, paranoia) based on a "dirty look" are unqualified armchair internet psychiatrists.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2019, 06:55:06 AM »