Author Topic: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue  (Read 2356 times)

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue
« on: August 05, 2019, 08:57:42 PM »
Today I noticed an aggressive homeless white man, about 6'2'' on 37th Ave.  He was walking up and down 37th Ave in the afternoon sort of kicking things around. He looked at me aggressively - sort of angry - when I was walking holding my girls' hands (ages 3 and 5). In the evening I saw him sitting in front of the liquor store on 76th and 37th Ave.  He had what appeared to be a pile of US Postal mail that he was going through and literally throwing the stuff on the floor after going through it.  He looked at me like he wanted to fight. He was looking at other folks the same way.   

What the hell is going on in this neighborhood?  I hope its not a harbinger for things to come.  Let's not kid ourselves, DiBlasio is probably the worst mayor we have ever had in this city.  He has done nothing to deal with this population.  The police are completely absent.  I suspect that he's going to hurt somebody at some point. 

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Re: Aggressive homeless man on 37th Avenue
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
Harbinger of what? Mail scattered in the streets? Let's stop exaggerating. And what do you want for police to do, exactly? Serve as the social services that this county doesn't have? Arrest someone based on an angry gaze?

I for one worry way more about two mass shootings in a weekend.

Offline JDinJH

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
Harbinger of what? Mail scattered in the streets? Let's stop exaggerating. And what do you want for police to do, exactly? Serve as the social services that this county doesn't have? Arrest someone based on an angry gaze?

I for one worry way more about two mass shootings in a weekend.

Are you the homeless dude I was talking about?

Offline stevn

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 11:30:57 PM »
Today I noticed an aggressive homeless white man, about 6'2'' on 37th Ave.  He was walking up and down 37th Ave in the afternoon sort of kicking things around. He looked at me aggressively - sort of angry - when I was walking holding my girls' hands (ages 3 and 5). In the evening I saw him sitting in front of the liquor store on 76th and 37th Ave.  He had what appeared to be a pile of US Postal mail that he was going through and literally throwing the stuff on the floor after going through it.  He looked at me like he wanted to fight. He was looking at other folks the same way.   

What the hell is going on in this neighborhood?  I hope its not a harbinger for things to come.  Let's not kid ourselves, DiBlasio is probably the worst mayor we have ever had in this city.  He has done nothing to deal with this population.  The police are completely absent.  I suspect that he's going to hurt somebody at some point.

Wow, aggressive looks. Cool story, bro.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:46:16 PM »
It's hilarious people are worried more about events 1000 miles away then problems in their own neighborhood.  We'll all do good to keep a little perspective in our lives.

As for the homeless man he has been a fixture there for the last few months.  I've walked past him a few times and never felt antagonized by him, but it certainly seems out of place for this area so I can see why JDinJH would be concerned.

I've noticed a relative increase in homeless and transients in 2019 in Jackson Heights.  Saw 3 guys in March or April apparently smacked out on the sidewalk off 37th in broad daylight.  One of them would occasionally get up to harass the cars waiting for the light for money, he looked pretty agitated, might have been this same guy.  Cop/meter-maid stopped to talk to them for a few minutes and then walked off and did nothing about it.

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 12:09:56 AM »
Call 311 and ask to have a street outreach team sent to the area.  Street Outreach is a service that is funded by the city but the services are provided by a number of non-profits that can offer healthcare including mental health services, drop-in centers, supported housing, etc.  The object is to get people off the streets, stabilized, and into housing.  They do a great job reaching out and convincing homeless people that there's an alternative and in fact better life off the street.

https://breakingground.org

https://www.cucs.org

Offline EmmBee

• Tourist
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »
I've walked past this man probably dozens of times and never seen him pay any attention to anyone around him.  I've given him a couple bucks a couple times, and he responded with a polite thank you each time.  From what I've seen from many occasions, he's not a problem at all.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »
It used to be much worse with itinerants around the train station.
That situation has definitely improved over the years.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 10:15:21 AM »
That guy has been there for months. I have never seen him really interact with people.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 10:31:00 AM »
and if we're going to start arresting men for yelling, kicking things and throwing objects, most offices in Manhattan will be half-empty within a week.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 12:14:07 PM »
and if we're going to start arresting men for yelling, kicking things and throwing objects, most offices in Manhattan will be half-empty within a week.
Say What?

Offline CaptainFlannel

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 01:33:48 PM »
To summarize: someone gave me a dirty look.

The horror.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
Say What?

overgrown boys. in ties. and corner offices. with emotional issues. and six figure salaries. if you haven't seen it, you haven't worked in an NYC office.

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »
Well I've definitely worked in NYC offices and don't really know what you're talking about.  But we all have our different experiences.  Sounds like you're talking about the opposite of a homeless person.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »
Say What?

overgrown boys. in ties. and corner offices. with emotional issues. and six figure salaries. if you haven't seen it, you haven't worked in an NYC office.

I work in Manhattan offices and have never seen/heard this.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »