Author Topic: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?  (Read 17982 times)

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
Re: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2019, 11:22:49 PM »
Then bicyclist should be licensed, and go by the same laws as vehicles

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 06:58:25 AM »
Protected bike lanes also protect pedestrians so tragedies like below don’t happen

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/manhattan-man-struck-by-hit-and-run-cyclist-dies-from-injuries/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app
I don't see how protected bike lanes would have prevented any of the 3 pedestrian deaths mentioned in that article.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2019, 08:18:39 AM »
The idea is that people will not be able to wander into the bike lane. It also prevents jay walking. This is not the case on 34th Ave because of the median.

Offline voelteer

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »
It seems that the drivers are the ones being demonized here. I see lots of reckless cyclist engaging in a myriad of illegal maneuvers. The bike lanes should go on  Roosevelt.  It wouldn’t help to slow down reckless drivers there.  As far as bikes in Amsterdam, you really can't compare. Amsterdam consist of concentric circular canals. Cars are totally impractical there which is why they use bikes.

Just for the record, the current cycling culture realized in the Netherlands and its capital Amsterdam has little to do with the structure of their old city centers. It came about thanks to a citizen-led campaign waged nationwide through the 70s and into the 80s against a post-war car culture that was, as the Dutch bluntly put it, "murdering children" in increasing numbers. For additional background: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/how-the-dutch-got-their-cycling-infrastructure/

No doubt high population density and relatively flat topography facilitated the cycling infrastructure there, though similar advantages are also present for us here in NYC. What our "Nieuw Amsterdam" needs is continued, growing public awareness, which forums like JHLife have helped provide. Thanks!

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
It seems that the drivers are the ones being demonized here. I see lots of reckless cyclist engaging in a myriad of illegal maneuvers. The bike lanes should go on  Roosevelt.  It wouldn’t help to slow down reckless drivers there.  As far as bikes in Amsterdam, you really can't compare. Amsterdam consist of concentric circular canals. Cars are totally impractical there which is why they use bikes.

Just for the record, the current cycling culture realized in the Netherlands and its capital Amsterdam has little to do with the structure of their old city centers. It came about thanks to a citizen-led campaign waged nationwide through the 70s and into the 80s against a post-war car culture that was, as the Dutch bluntly put it, "murdering children" in increasing numbers. For additional background: https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2011/10/20/how-the-dutch-got-their-cycling-infrastructure/

No doubt high population density and relatively flat topography facilitated the cycling infrastructure there, though similar advantages are also present for us here in NYC. What our "Nieuw Amsterdam" needs is continued, growing public awareness, which forums like JHLife have helped provide. Thanks!

Having spent time in Amsterdam, I totally agree with this.

It's a cultural thing. In Amsterdam, bikes are more important than cars. That's how the population thinks.
And it becomes second nature to think the same way, after a relatively short while.

In the future, New Yorkers will begin to think more like the Dutch do...concerning bikes and other alternate modes of transport. Rather than the Robert Moses era 1950's thinking of the private car. 10 years? 20 years? 25? Whatever. It'll happen.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
If you're popping down to the corner store to buy some tulips, or riding across town to the park or even heading back and forth to an office job (in nice weather) then I can see why you *might* opt for a bike.  However it doesn't matter how much you want NYers to change their mind, there are simply reasons to use a car that a bike will never replace.  You just aren't being realistic. 

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 11:30:24 AM »
Chingwa. Go live in Amsterdam for a while. You will see.
They have lousy weather. It rains all the time.

Traveling expands a person's mind. And shows that there different ways to live...that are pretty awesome.
That we can learn from. Rather than being closed-minded.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:46:45 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 12:52:58 PM »
What a presumptuous thing to say!  I've travelled much of the world, and am not close-minded.  I just don't agree with you.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2019, 01:19:57 PM »
Time will tell the future, Chingwa.

Stubbornness on an online forum won't tell the future. For you, me or anyone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:29:30 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2019, 01:32:29 PM »
All the passive aggressiveness and snide remarks are getting really old.  You're talking about tearing up our streets and screwing with the traffic in our neighborhood for something that a minimum of people will use, and when others point this out you say they are stubborn, close-minded, and parochial because they don't share your utopian fantasy.  Get Fuckin' Real.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »
Would this be a bad time to bring up my new plan to make every other street a car free utopian plaza with birds chirping on the fountains?

There is no reason to argue among ourselves because the decisions to place the protected bike lane will be made NYCDOT professionals. This forum is to create discussion for the neighborhood.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:34 PM »
All the passive aggressiveness and snide remarks are getting really old.  You're talking about tearing up our streets and screwing with the traffic in our neighborhood for something that a minimum of people will use, and when others point this out you say they are stubborn, close-minded, and parochial because they don't share your utopian fantasy.  Get Fuckin' Real.

And I quote...from you, Chingwa.

"I just don't agree with you."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:31:53 PM by abcdefghijk »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »
Would this be a bad time to bring up my new plan to make every other street a car free utopian plaza with birds chirping on the fountains?

There is no reason to argue among ourselves because the decisions to place the protected bike lane will be made NYCDOT professionals. This forum is to create discussion for the neighborhood.

JK Resident. Funny.  ;D

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2019, 01:21:14 PM »
Yes, disagreeing is the correct response, not insulting people.

Offline M7X7

• Activist
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
If you're popping down to the corner store to buy some tulips, or riding across town to the park or even heading back and forth to an office job (in nice weather) then I can see why you *might* opt for a bike.  However it doesn't matter how much you want NYers to change their mind, there are simply reasons to use a car that a bike will never replace.  You just aren't being realistic.

No is suggesting eliminating cars completely. We're just talking about some bike lanes here. There are cars in Amsterdam too, just not as many. And in fact most New Yorkers don't have cars either - are you aware of that? It's not clear to me what you think is fundamentally different.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »