Author Topic: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
Re: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
I think turning 35th and 37th into one-way pairs will have the negative result of exponentially increasing the traffic on the residential North/South streets, which means more traffic congestion, more pollution below all of our windows, more difficult curb parking, more stress on the existing bike "lanes" on those streets, etc.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 06:58:36 PM »
Totally agree. They are eroding the residential portions of our neighborhood little by little.  As a driver and cyclist, I think Roosevelt would be the best bet. Or, why don't they just protect the existing bike lane on 34th avenue. It already exist but needs a green paint job.

Offline Alfster

• Activist
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 09:40:46 AM »
The Mayor has spoken and allocated $53+ million to put protected bike lanes a few neighborhoods. One is Jackson Heights, so there will be a protected bike lane on 37th or 35 Ave. You can’t have bicyclists murdered by cars and believe the city will do nothing. Desperate times call for desperate measures. People will have to adapt to ride bicycles and not drive.

Oh, JK Resident, are you a car hater?  You sound like Bloomberg on crack!  LOL  ;D :D :'(

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 06:30:20 AM »
Just because we want protected bike lanes to prevent the carnage occurring on our streets does not make me a “car hater”. I often use Uber or Lyft which are car based transportation. It is the new reality we have to adapt to save our planet from the coming global warming. If they can use bikes in Amsterdam, why not here?

Offline Chingwa

• Activist
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
It is the new reality we have to adapt to save our planet from the coming global warming.
Our planet will be just fine whether I drive my car or not.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »
It seems that the drivers are the ones being demonized here. I see lots of reckless cyclist engaging in a myriad of illegal maneuvers. The bike lanes should go on  Roosevelt.  It wouldn’t help to slow down reckless drivers there.  As far as bikes in Amsterdam, you really can't compare. Amsterdam consist of concentric circular canals. Cars are totally impractical there which is why they use bikes.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
Roosevelt with the buses can’t host the bike lanes. Also big pieces of metal constantly fall from the 7 train as well as lead paint chips. We need a more clean and practical east west solution. This means 37th or 35th Ave. 35th has the buses also so a protected lane can’t go there. Maybe 34th? but the real serious solution is 37th Ave.  A few parking spots will be eliminated but bicyclist’s safety will be improved.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
Roosevelt with the buses can’t host the bike lanes. Also big pieces of metal constantly fall from the 7 train as well as lead paint chips. We need a more clean and practical east west solution.

Have you not noticed that there is a giant reconstruction going on at the moment with the 7 train infrastructure? Repainting, repairing etc.

But as soon as all vehicles are computerized, where you plug in where you wanna go and the system senses where you are, and every other vehicle is mapped as well on the network, then bike lanes can be added to Roosevelt Ave. 20 years? 25 years? Until then, alas, no.

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
The buses are not going anywhere soon so please stop suggesting Roosevelt Ave. 35th Ave.  has the same problem. It really is a choice between 34th Ave and 37th. Parking will have to be eliminated on one side of these Avenues.

Online itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
 Once again, I am going to suggest 34th ave. My thought is you could use the median by either
paving on top of it and moving plantings which are slim and vertical as side barriers - maybe
along with those pylon things which is better than the inconsistent green condition of the median
now.
 This way you could have use the existing bike lane width to make it two way on 34th avenue.
I really think this can work because supposedly there is funding to overhaul the median with
some kind of capital project. And this avenue is already used to having a bike lane so no
convincing needed there. If I could draw an architectural plan or use the software, I would try
to illustrate this.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 03:56:56 PM »
I believe the medium on 34th Ave. is original to the Jackson Heights neighborhood that was planned in the 20s. Just thinking about getting rid of that after fighting for years to have it put back, is kind of insulting, and a huge waste of money. What’s wrong with the bike lane that is already existing on 34th Ave.?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 05:29:27 PM »
Why not take the bike lanes to 32nd ave or protected lanes on Northern Bld?

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 08:19:19 PM »
32nd Ave. is already too far north in East Elmhurst. Northern Blvd. has buses too. I guess 34th Ave would be the most practical. 37th would disrupt businesses.

Offline Jhx

• Activist
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2019, 09:20:02 PM »
Most practical for who? To far North in East Elmhurst? That makes no sense. By a couple of blocks. They are on bikes aren’t they?

Offline JK resident

• Council Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »
The Mayor’s money is tied to creating protected bike lanes in Jackson Heights 11372 not East Elmhurst. If you put the lanes on the other less congested side of Northern Blvd. then it makes no sense.

Protected bike lanes also protect pedestrians so tragedies like below don’t happen

https://nypost.com/2019/08/07/manhattan-man-struck-by-hit-and-run-cyclist-dies-from-injuries/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:05:32 PM by JK resident »

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »