Author Topic: 73rd St between 37 Av and Roosevelt Ave  (Read 5623 times)

Offline petster

• Council Member
Re: 73rd St between 37 Av and Roosevelt Ave
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:17:17 PM »
I agree...and while I'm not political I think that the  whole area has to be cleaned up. The vendors...at least the illegal ones ..have got to go.  Most importantly they need to enforce the law. Educate and then enforce the law.

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Activist
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
Last Saturday early afternoon one of the drunk guys around the corner from the subway station, on 73rd Street, threw an empty vodka bottle in front of our baby's stroller. While it wasn't near enough to hit the baby, clearly he was unaware (and probably didn't care) that 2 seconds later we would have been in the line of fire. Yikes.

Late one night my husband was walking by a food cart on 73rd Street and the vendor was picking at his feet while sitting on a crate by the wall. Ugh.

Does anyone know when the scaffold between 37th and Roosevelt is coming down? For some reason it seems to make things so much worse.

I agree the scaffolding seems to make it worse.  There is a group of people that have set up camp under it and next to where it ends, and when they're not passed out, they're panhandling, rowdy, etc.  There's a lot of excess garbage around them too.  Frankly, it's really gross.  We've called 311 several times, but somehow don't think that will do any good.

Offline jimbo in jhts

• Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 09:47:37 AM »
We used to live on 73rd between 37th/35th aves.  Great apartment, incredibly maintained BUT  the traffic up the block, the hordes of people dropping garbage, double parking, trying to drive ( where do they buy their licenses?) honking horns, the buses and general bedlam caused us to come to one solution ----MOVE. We now live on 78th Street and it is like a totally different neighborhood.  I suggest calling 311, Helen Sears and anyone else you can call to get some rules enforced...the ethnic mix is great in J Hts, but when all the accoutermentscome come with it -  it becomes a nuisance to residents it needs to be regulated. Limit number of vendors, get police to give tickets for trash, parking and noise....

Offline Yankswun98

• Resident
  • Lived here since: 2019
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2020, 11:09:11 PM »
10 years later and still the same mess on 73rd street.

With the upcoming elections any individual running for office should be asked what their plan is for the mess which is 73rd st, Diversity Plaza and 74-73st on 37th which is filled with illegal vendors that block the sidewalk.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »
I like the vendors and I think the traffic needs to be addressed, also it is amazing that there isn't even a garbage can put out by the Department of Sanitation... it shows how much the city is willing to help with this situation. I'd love to see at least some attempt at a solution there.

Offline Jhx

• Council Member
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 07:45:31 AM »
Well, getting rid of the vendors would be a start.....

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 08:10:19 AM »
Dromm has prohibited trash cans on 37th ave at 73rd and 74th Streets claiming residents were dumping their house trash. So now the litter goes onto the sidewalk and catch basins that are full of garbage. When it rains heavily these catch basins drain slowly and allow trash to enter the sewer pipes. In the summer these catch basins are also the source of the rancid smell often associated with the streets. The street vendor’s customers also throw the garbage on the ground or tree pits. Street vendors unlike regular restaurants do not have to pay commercial garbage service.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2020, 09:17:25 AM »
i also see a lot of fast food wrappers -- from Wendy's, mostly, but also from others -- candy wrappers and cigarettes on the ground. we need to get rid of those things, too.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2020, 09:28:50 AM »
i also see a lot of fast food wrappers -- from Wendy's, mostly, but also from others -- candy wrappers and cigarettes on the ground. we need to get rid of those things, too.

People are also feeding pigeons by dumping bags of lentils on the sidewalk!

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2020, 09:29:08 AM »
 And let us not forget the rats! Sanitation says it can only give tickets to those it catches actually
littering. So the person who puts rice all over the tree pits on the corner of 37th Ave and 73rd st
will mostly likely never get caught even though this area is patrolled. It's so so dirty around
Diversity Plaza even though they have that hefty contract with the gardeners and the Doe fund,
it's still out of control.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
Why don't we install trash receptacles that are like post boxes?...With only thin slots to insert small amounts of litter. Then folks can't dump big bags of domestic trash.

Offline Miss Chatelaine

• Activist
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »
Dromm has prohibited trash cans on 37th ave at 73rd and 74th Streets claiming residents were dumping their house trash.

The Department of Sanitation removed the trash cans in an attempt to address area complaints about the huge amounts of overflowing garbage around them, a lot of which indeed seemed to be household or other kinds of trash, not just coffee cups and what not.  You can hate Dromm all you want but he did not "prohibit" the trash cans.

As bad as the situation seems to be, there were definitely big mounds of garbage around the cans when they were there so it was worse.  It is too bad there have been no other attempts by anyone to solve the problem.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »
Sounds like they gave up. What a shame

Offline r

• Citizen
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
I've seen people sit in cars around there and open their door and just drop trash in the street next to them. It's disgusting. I don't understand how people can be so selfish.

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »
I've seen people sit in cars around there and open their door and just drop trash in the street next to them. It's disgusting. I don't understand how people can be so selfish.

Me too. I put one of my stickers on their cars that said "I litter because I'm trash"... the guy noticed and I said, "Well, don't litter" and walked away.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 06:39:51 PM »