Author Topic: How to improve 65th Street?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
How to improve 65th Street?
« on: February 05, 2008, 05:47:11 PM »
The east side of 65th Street, between 35th Avenue and Broadway, is an absolute eyesore.  It's basically a garbage-strewn lot next to the highway.  I walk past it quite frequently on my way to Spicy Mina or the 65th Street Playground, and really wish that space could be put to better use.

Does anybody know about any plans for this space?  It looks like some effort is being make to make the Broadway intersection look nicer, but so far the area along 65th Street has been neglected.  I imagine it might be state-owned, which might complicate matters.

It seems to me like this would be a perfect location for a dog run.  Does anybody have other ideas?

Offline Yankswun98

• Resident
  • Lived here since: 2019
Re: How to improve 65th Street?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 10:29:04 PM »
12 years later this is still the case!!

Residents need to stop voting for the same useless individuals who don't make it a priority to clean up this area and 73rd and 74th street.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »
 There has been huge improvement actually. There is a dog run which is very well run and a composting center that processes food scraps collected there every weekend. Last year there was a concerted effort by JHBG led by Nuala ODoherty to help the homeless enclave on 65th and clean years of trash out of there. It looks MUCH better than before but as noted, there is still a long way to go. And as suspected, there are issues with who owns the land - city, state, train authority, DOT- are all pieced together there. Very complicated to make change on that street but it really has seen improvement in recent years.

Offline JHALUM

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 09:16:04 PM »
I was on this block on Monday and there are still way too many homeless people and drunks on the block.  My wife commented she wouldn't feel comfortable getting on or off the train there once it was dark.

Offline Yankswun98

• Resident
  • Lived here since: 2019
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 10:09:21 PM »
I have worked with a local member of government to try to get the underpass cleaned up.  I reported new graffiti to the 108 and 115pcts.  I have seen people waking the homeless up at 6:30am.  In the past 2 weeks I have only seen homeless sleeping under the BQE one night.  When I come home from school at 5:30pm right next to the Woodside Cafe there is always a group of men sitting on the sidewalk drinking beer.  The NYPD needs to get involved and issue these men a tickets. 

Offline fodoherty

• Activist
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »

Thanks for the shout out.  I have spent years working to clean up the area around the BQE.  We have worked block by block.  We have not yet reached the west side of the BQE between 35th Avenue and Broadway.  We did paint a mural there a few years back. 

A large group of volunteers working with JHBG has cleaned up 65th Street between 35th Avenue and 34th Avenue.  This took 2 years.  The year before that we cleaned up 64th Street and Northern. The years before that we did the east side of the BQE.

The work continues.

See you in the neighborhood,

Nuala

Nuala O'Doherty-Naranjo
646-210-4495

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
Good work with the cleanup.

Jackson Heights Life