Author Topic: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?  (Read 5278 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Where in JH should the city place the new protected bike lanes?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:04:34 PM »
37th makes more sense than Roosevelt, for sure. i know both are technically outside the parameters, but i might also add lanes on Woodside and (maybe) 31st. i don't get that far north often enough to really picture how that would work.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 11:51:24 PM »
37th would be more congested than ever if they forced a bike lane there, it just doesn't seem realistic to me.  The only avenue it makes sense on is 34th, since it already has the median divider and less traffic (in general) than the other avenues.  But I am not a fan of bike lanes and don't see how they would be an improvement in this neighborhood... especially considering how DeBlasio screwed up the traffic flow with bike lanes on Queens Boulevard.  Truly one of the worst pieces of transit planning I've ever seen.  So call me skeptical.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 06:06:48 AM »
The redesign of Queens Blvd has been a huge success saving countless lives.

Offline Hagop

• Tourist
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 08:03:48 AM »
I'm no expert, but my initial reaction is that 34th makes more sense than 37th. There is already a bike lane on 34th, so just adding protections seems like the easiest lift. The main thing to consider, of course, is the overall network. Lanes need to connect to other lanes, otherwise they're somewhat useless.

Offline JK resident

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »
34th Ave is too far north to bike to. If we are serious about bicycles we need Roosevelt Ave or 37th Ave to have protected bike lanes. 31st is already in East Elmhurst well north of Jackson Heights. I find Roosevelt to be too noisy and busy. That leaves 37 Ave as the only real east west solution. The citibikes that are coming will also be placed on 37th Ave.

https://jacksonheightspost.com/jackson-heights-corona-are-priority-areas-in-mayors-bike-safety-plan

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:20:30 AM »
  This is not an easy one. The advantage of 37th is that it would reduce cars which is a cause
of so many accidents with their nutty 3 point turns the other direction. Truly hazardous every
time I see this happening. I think Roosevelt Ave would be instant chaos and those businesses
don't deserve more problems. Ripping up 34th ave again! and putting bike lanes where the
median is while landscaping the outer areas is a possibility but not my fav solution. Would
only go for that if there was big landscaping efforts too.

Offline Junior Minty

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »
Why not just move the bike lanes on 34th ave to the curb and flip flop their position with the parked cars? This provides a protected lane and maintains the median. It would only slow down traffic when people attempt to park, which is another good thing.

Offline JHHD

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »
You can't just switch the placement of the lanes on 34th, if the bike lane is along the curb it needs to have a buffer that would make it wider than the current painted bike lane. A protected bike lane on any of the streets mentioned would require the removal of the parking on at least one side of that street. Ironically this would also remove the actual protection from traffic provided by parked cars. It wouldn't really be a protected bike lane, more like a dedicated bike lane.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
 If you were to remove the 34th ave. median or pave over it, you could have a dedicated
bike lane in the middle of the road and use the space from the existing bike lanes to give
a slim planting area in between the cars and the bike lane. While I love the median, it has
been neglected over the years and looks great in some areas but forlorn in some others,
particularly down in Corona near Flushing Meadows. This is a solution that would not take
a huge amount of money, I think, and works with an avenue that has an existing bike lane.

I honestly think Parks would go for this idea as the Greenstreets program is strapped for
funding to maintain this median already.

Offline petster

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 01:13:04 PM »
I think if they could flip the cars with the bike lanes on Roosevelt it would cut down on congestion and crazy driving tactics, especially during game days.  I don't  cherish changing or adding lanes on 35/37 or taking away the median.  Brings too much congestion into a residential  space and adds to the erosion of green space for our neighborhood.

Offline hfm

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 04:43:36 PM »
37th makes more sense than Roosevelt, for sure. i know both are technically outside the parameters, but i might also add lanes on Woodside and (maybe) 31st. i don't get that far north often enough to really picture how that would work.

I think of this thing being in the lower 70s and cringe. No one there respects any double-parking rules right now, I feel like they would either be blocking the street entirely or parking in the bike lane.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 07:48:55 PM »
The traffic in that part of 37th is ridiculous.  Adding a bike lane and removing car space would be even more ridiculous.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
The idea of magically creating "protected" bike lanes on any of the east-west avenues between Broadway and Northern Boulevard is absolutely ridiculous. It would mean the removal of hundreds of parking spaces along any route the DOT would choose. I would think JHBG would go ape-shit if DOT tried to remove the planted median on 34th Avenue in order to do so (and rightfully so). The city and its citizens would be better served if this money were allocated towards mass transit improvements, ADA accessibility, and Access-A-Ride programs which benefit the elderly and disabled (for whom bike lanes do absolutely nothing).

Offline Jhqns76

• Tourist
  • Lived here since: 2000
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »
Why don’t they just ban all trucks and cars entirely?

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 09:04:09 PM »