Author Topic: My Jackson Heights  (Read 424 times)

Offline greatpoobah

• Tourist
My Jackson Heights
« on: July 06, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
I was preparing a eulogy to give at my dear friend's service in two week - we both grew up in the Jackson Heights of the 1940s-1950s. While on-line searching for "Jackson Heights of the 1950s," I stumbled upon this wonderful web site.

I will be 86 years old in one month and predictably nostalgic about my youth. I lived at 35-06 72nd Street for years, graduated from P.S. 69, attended and graduated from The McBurney Prep School in Manhattan, spent four years in the USAF, then came home to attend and graduate from Hofstra University. I spent my early career in advertising on Madison Avenue with the celebrated Doyle Dane Bernbach ad agency, among others, before I moved into the Thoroughbred Racing Industry for 11 years - New York Racing Association & President of NYC-OTB. I've been retired and living in Naples, Florida with my wife for the past 23 years. I was recently saddened by the passing of my dear friend, Lew, with whom I'd remained friends with for the past 76 years since first meeting him at St. Marks Church in Jackon Heights where we were members of the Cub Scouts, Pack 201. Lew, after a career in Broadway theater, retired with his wife to Sun City, Florida up near Tampa where our childhood friendship carried on. If anyone reading this recognizes me or Lew, please post a reply. It would be so nice to hear from and about old friends.     

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
Re: My Jackson Heights
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:32:29 PM »
Hi. My condolences on the loss of your friend.

Did you see the Jackson Heights of Yesteryear section on this forum? If you go there you may see other names you recognize, and you can reach out to people directly through a private message, which connects to email addresses.

It might help if you post your real name and nicknames. For instance, I use my real first name on this site.

I ran a quick search for "Lew" and unfortunately, no Lews popped up.

And don't be shy. Just because you no longer reside here doesn't exclude you from participating in the forum.

Take care.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »
Condolences on the loss of your friend, and hope you are able to reconnect with the people you're hoping to.

there's also a group on Facebook, if you or someone you are close to uses the service, that might reach some different people. it's called Jackson Heights, NY 11372.

may your friend's memory be a blessing. and take good care.

Offline E train

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »
I am sorry that a loss of a friend was the trigger for your letter.

I was a next door neighbor to you at 35-14 72nd Street during the late 40's and throughout  the 50's. I am eight years younger than you so I expect you were not one of the kids I knew in the neighborhood. I did know the Mara's from your building-Sal Mara  was the dad and he had two children Stephen and a little girl whose name I don't remember. I guess you would buy newspapers and comic books from the candy store(Menshall's? Smilers?) on the corner of 72nd and 35th.maybe a malted or an egg cream as well, the News and the Mirror on Sundays, maybe your mom went to Henry's butcher shop on 35th a little down from 72nd or perhaps you used the Chinese laundry(Lee's) and reminded Mr Lee not too much starch on the collar. Further down was the "lots" vacant and overrun with with weeds. The veterinary office still standing (and now a semi-official JH landmark I would hope).A  tough Four Roses hard drinking bar next to it that is now a slick sports bar with BBQ. Stick ball and touch football in the street and then on to PS 69 for real stick ball. I assume you were at PS 69 when Dr. Jaffe was the principal and was it Miss Leddy who was assistant principal. I had Miss Garrarity and Miss Tuckman, Miss Ada Sperry, Mr Isby. All career teachers who I remember with great affection.

Again I am sorry that you have lost a friend. At our age they are irreplaceable.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:17:15 PM »