Author Topic: Office of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Hagop

• Tourist
Office of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
« on: July 03, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
I feel like it is important to be in touch with one's elected representatives on various issues. I know that calls, letters, and emails are important considerations for office holders when they're making policy decisions that effect their constituents.
I've tried contacting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's offices but there doesn't seem to be a way to reach anyone. The phone numbers for both the Queens and DC offices only have a recording, referring the caller to her generic House web page. There is no number for the Bronx office. There is no email other than the webform on the House site, which kind of feels like it points into the abyss.

Has anybody here had any luck contacting her office? I hesitate to use Twitter because of the character limitation and that it doesn't seem like a really sortable, organized platform for her constituent relations team.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
Re: Office of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 11:11:05 AM »
I feel like it is important to be in touch with one's elected representatives on various issues. I know that calls, letters, and emails are important considerations for office holders when they're making policy decisions that effect their constituents.
I've tried contacting Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's offices but there doesn't seem to be a way to reach anyone. The phone numbers for both the Queens and DC offices only have a recording, referring the caller to her generic House web page. There is no number for the Bronx office. There is no email other than the webform on the House site, which kind of feels like it points into the abyss.

Has anybody here had any luck contacting her office? I hesitate to use Twitter because of the character limitation and that it doesn't seem like a really sortable, organized platform for her constituent relations team.

I went to her office once to say that I wanted the Target store. There was a receptionist (young, unprofessional, glad she does not work in my doctor's office) who told me to fill out a form with my opinion.  I said I was standing in the office and was not going to fill out a form. I told her my reasons why I wanted the Target store and she said that the neighborhood did not want the store because they received a petition with 200 (!!!) signatures on it opposing the store.  I told her that my apartment building has over 200 people in it and that the petition was not representative of the neighborhood.

The receptionist went on about other things, like open borders.

I think it is useless to speak to her office, or her. They have their minds made up that immigrants are good and American things are bad. OAC may wind up like Bernie. Not accomplishing much, just talking about how things could be.

I am glad she is speaking up about the obvious problems at the border but she is "spinning her wheels" and not getting much done. She falls for the obvious diversions (the Target petition and the Green deal.. let's all vote on the new deal and she might go away.)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:54:36 AM »
 :)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:56:11 AM »

They have their minds made up that immigrants are good and American things are bad.

Somehow, the irony of that situation is hilarious. Considering immigrants come to America, specifically because of American things!

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:00:58 PM »
I moved from Texas to Queens.  Now my representative has gone from Queens down to Texas. (shrug)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
I moved from Texas to Queens.  Now my representative has gone from Queens down to Texas. (shrug)

and your president went from Queens to Moscow.

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 12:34:16 PM »
It's sad how unresponsive the office was to an actual 3-dimensional living person coming in voicing their opinion, though sadly not surprising.  AOC is an activist, she isn't a representative.  You would at least think the people who work there would be be better trained in a public-facing capacity.  But no, it sounds like the the activist mindset is organization wide.

Offline Hagop

• Tourist
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 12:41:02 PM »

I went to her office once to say that I wanted the Target store. There was a receptionist (young, unprofessional, glad she does not work in my doctor's office) who told me to fill out a form with my opinion.  I said I was standing in the office and was not going to fill out a form. I told her my reasons why I wanted the Target store and she said that the neighborhood did not want the store because they received a petition with 200 (!!!) signatures on it opposing the store.  I told her that my apartment building has over 200 people in it and that the petition was not representative of the neighborhood.

The receptionist went on about other things, like open borders.

I think it is useless to speak to her office, or her. They have their minds made up that immigrants are good and American things are bad. OAC may wind up like Bernie. Not accomplishing much, just talking about how things could be.

I am glad she is speaking up about the obvious problems at the border but she is "spinning her wheels" and not getting much done. She falls for the obvious diversions (the Target petition and the Green deal.. let's all vote on the new deal and she might go away.)

I don't think AOC has any say or jurisdiction related to the Target. I think you would be better off visiting Francisco Moya's office, if you haven't already. It's really a city zoning issue.

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »

I don't think AOC has any say or jurisdiction related to the Target. I think you would be better off visiting Francisco Moya's office, if you haven't already. It's really a city zoning issue.

Yes, exactly, but AOC wanted to get involved after the Target store turned into an anti-immigrant issue. She went on record against the Target.  It seems that wanting an aprtment building with a Target below is anti-immigrant. First they attacked the apartment building because new apartments would displace immigrants (I don't really undertstand that). Then they were against the Target because it would put immigrant stores out of business.

It was a different thread here.

Offline N00b

• Activist
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »

Yes, exactly, but AOC wanted to get involved after the Target store turned into an anti-immigrant issue. She went on record against the Target.  It seems that wanting an aprtment building with a Target below is anti-immigrant. First they attacked the apartment building because new apartments would displace immigrants (I don't really undertstand that). Then they were against the Target because it would put immigrant stores out of business.

It was a different thread here.

are small businesses not the most American thing there is?

Offline Chingwa

• Council Member
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 01:50:31 PM »
I think small business has an edge, but Target is pretty damn American too.  ;D

Offline jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 02:10:51 PM »

are small businesses not the most American thing there is?

Yes, but it was turned into big, bad Target displacing poor immigrants who stuggle to have their 99 cent stores and ethic pharmacies in JH. When in reality the store owners live on Long Island with their families, shopping at Costco.

Do you know that Patel's is a chain of over 50 stores? I was surprised when I found out about this.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
IMO, identity politics seem to have led otherwise smart people to dumb conclusions.

Amazon, no. Sex trade, yes. Target, no.

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
sex workers pay taxes.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Now it gets interesting, with the new results of the absentee votes with Katz in.  Barely in.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »