Author Topic: Interesting article on how public forums (like this one) are hijacked.  (Read 1262 times)

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/07/27/how-trolls-control-an-internet-forum/

*The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.
Aldous Huxley.

Offline sl

• Council Member

Aldous Huxley.

You think JH Life is hijacked by trolls?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
projection, perhaps?

Offline toddg

• Mayor
  • Lived here since: 2002
EVERYBODY STAY SEATED AND REMAIN CALM.  We're making an unscheduled detour to Brooklyn at the request of the rather heavily armed and ornately mustachioed gentleman up front.   THERE IS NO REASON TO PANIC.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
projection, perhaps?

defensive, perhaps?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

Aldous Huxley.

You think JH Life is hijacked by trolls?

It would be a hopeless case if it were happening.

What I have noticed more than anything on this forum is that NO-ONE EVER CHANGES THEIR MIND politically.  No matter how much others berate them or bully them or insult them on this forum.

It's as though folks have their politics hard-wired and any attempt at trolling or shutting them down is useless.

We, the folks of Jackson Heights are clearly not a gullible bunch. And posters are fools if they think they can change or shut down anyone's political opinion. Empirical evidence shows they can't. People seem immune to being trolled on this forum!

Any attempts at trolling here are more a power trip, is my observation. And funnily enough don't work in the slightest. Ever. And only show a poster's agenda as obvious...as though they have a neon sign saying "This is my agenda". 

Still, the article is interesting. And it's good that folks be vigilant about any patterns in public forums that they observe. Knowledge is power.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:41:42 AM by abcdefghijk »

Online dssjh

• Mayor
i have to agree with you about the carved-in-stone beliefs. but i think that may be due to the extremely polarizing time we're inhabiting.

i know that two decades ago, i often had serious issues with people on the other end of the political spectrum -- and engaged in civil if spirited discourse with them. these days, it doesn't happen that way. is it the medium, or is it the messengers?

what do you think?

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
i have to agree with you about the carved-in-stone beliefs. but i think that may be due to the extremely polarizing time we're inhabiting.

i know that two decades ago, i often had serious issues with people on the other end of the political spectrum -- and engaged in civil if spirited discourse with them. these days, it doesn't happen that way. is it the medium, or is it the messengers?

what do you think?

Truthfully, I think it's a function of age. Older folks appear to be entrenched/fossilized in their opinions.

Younger, not so much. Younger people are still forming opinions. And this forum skews older I believe.

Two decades ago, you were younger... and probably more flexible and open with your opinions yourself.

Young folks look to the future with hope. Old folks appear to look to the future with dread that what they know and believe in will be gone.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:50:55 AM by abcdefghijk »

Online dssjh

• Mayor
yes, age is part of it. people do get set in their ways.

but i honestly don't think that i'd have been flexible enough to change my worldview to accept Trumpism. i don't think i'd have seen the good points in racism or disavowal of womens' rights. and i don't think i'd have seen "a future of hope" nurtured by a massive wall cutting my country off from the rest of the world.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

but i honestly don't think that i'd have been flexible enough to change my worldview to accept Trumpism. i don't think i'd have seen the good points in racism or disavowal of womens' rights. and i don't think i'd have seen "a future of hope" nurtured by a massive wall cutting my country off from the rest of the world.

DSSJH. That's what being young is. Being young means you have hope for your future. It's part of being young.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:30:31 AM by abcdefghijk »

Online dssjh

• Mayor

DSSJH. That's what being young is. Being young means you have hope for your future. It's part of being young.

do you actually believe that seeing the good points in ending womens' rights is "having hope"? do you believe that building a wall is "having hope"?

those are the things i was talking about, and i'm curious about whether you think young people do - or should - be flexible enough to come around to the Trumpist view on those issues?

Offline Ed

• Mayor

Truthfully, I think it's a function of age. Older folks appear to be entrenched/fossilized in their opinions.

Younger, not so much. Younger people are still forming opinions. And this forum skews older I believe.

Two decades ago, you were younger... and probably more flexible and open with your opinions yourself.

Young folks look to the future with hope. Old folks appear to look to the future with dread that what they know and believe in will be gone.
As a 63 year old progressive, I'm going to have to point out your gross overgeneralization. Given that the generations that engendered the civil rights movement, the gay rights movement, the women's rights movement, the earth rights movement, etc. fall well within your classification of "old" would seem to prove the opposite of your statement.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

do you actually believe that seeing the good points in ending womens' rights is "having hope"? do you believe that building a wall is "having hope"?

those are the things i was talking about, and i'm curious about whether you think young people do - or should - be flexible enough to come around to the Trumpist view on those issues?

Definitely NOT in New York and all the other (many) liberal centers. But the rest of the country, maybe yes. It's seems to be the Zeitgeist.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

As a 63 year old progressive, I'm going to have to point out your gross overgeneralization. Given that the generations that engendered the civil rights movement, the gay rights movement, the women's rights movement, the earth rights movement, etc. fall well within your classification of "old" would seem to prove the opposite of your statement.

Ed. Here in New York we are all more or less (85%) shades of blue. Arguing with those who are already liberal is useless. In the rest of the country, Trumpism appears to be capturing the young. I am the messenger. And a New Yorker! Please do not confuse me with others' POV!

Regardless, I have hope for the future!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:06:46 AM by abcdefghijk »

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor

[/quote]

i'm curious about whether you think young people do - or should - be flexible enough to come around to the Trumpist view on those issues?
[/quote]

I was re-reading this. Do I think young people "should" be flexible enough...etc. ?

I may be younger but I have already learned that I have no control over how people think! Young and old!

Surely, you must have learned that in your life? People...young and old...think whatever they think...completely irrelevant to how I believe they should! Or how you believe they should!

Jackson Heights Life