Author Topic: Oceanic Boil  (Read 1970 times)

Online dssjh

• Mayor
Oceanic Boil
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
Just a quick shoutout for a place that doesn't seem to get enough attention here. we were looking for dinner out after voting last night and thought this would be a good choice.

it was.

really crowded, but not uncomfortably so, for a Tuesday night. cool vibe. pop music soundtrack at reasonable volume, low lighting, and yes, television sets (for those who are frightened off by such things). simple, fresh seafood. excellent crab legs and shrimp. a nice "boil" sauce. bibs and gloves, crackers and digging forks like in Louisiana. copious dinner for two, two cocktails each, didn't break the bank. check it out - but expect a bit of spice.

Offline BennyB

• Citizen
Re: Oceanic Boil
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 11:41:40 AM »
Just a quick shoutout for a place that doesn't seem to get enough attention here. we were looking for dinner out after voting last night and thought this would be a good choice.

it was.

really crowded, but not uncomfortably so, for a Tuesday night. cool vibe. pop music soundtrack at reasonable volume, low lighting, and yes, television sets (for those who are frightened off by such things). simple, fresh seafood. excellent crab legs and shrimp. a nice "boil" sauce. bibs and gloves, crackers and digging forks like in Louisiana. copious dinner for two, two cocktails each, didn't break the bank. check it out - but expect a bit of spice.

Yes it's great. And I've spoken to a couple people who didn't live in the neighborhood who went there

Offline jonbstrong

• Resident
    • Jonathan Baillie Strong
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
I'm curious about Oceanic Boil - the food is obviously Cajun but where are the employees from? Somewhere in Asia?

Online dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »
i believe the owner is Vietnamese. there are a lot of Vietnamese-owned/operated "cajun style" seafood places in the south and southeast US.

Offline sl

• Council Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
I'm curious about Oceanic Boil - the food is obviously Cajun but where are the employees from? Somewhere in Asia?

Does it matter?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 10:59:51 PM »
i believe the owner is Vietnamese. there are a lot of Vietnamese-owned/operated "cajun style" seafood places in the south and southeast US.

We had a discussion about this here in the distant past about the owners possibly being Vietnamese and I linked this article from the NY Times

Vietnamese Immigrants Carry on a Cajun Food Tradition

Offline deja

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:23:59 PM »
They're really nice people and the food is good.  Those are the two things that matter to me.

Offline jonbstrong

• Resident
    • Jonathan Baillie Strong
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »

Does it matter?

Not really, I was just curious.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »