Author Topic: Community Bike Shop?  (Read 450 times)

Offline eb112

• Tourist
Community Bike Shop?
« on: June 01, 2019, 07:33:57 PM »
I'm moving to Queens in the near future. These forums have been wonderful for helping me get a feel for the area and for ideas about how to get involved in the community.

Does anyone know if there is a community bike shop nearby? Something along the lines of https://neighborhoodbikeworks.org in Philly. I've enjoyed volunteering at a similar place in the city I'm moving from. Couldn't find anything on Google, but sometimes these places fall under the radar.

Many Thanks

Offline turtalia

• Resident
Re: Community Bike Shop?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »
Hello!
  Mechanical Gardens Bike Co-op is not exactly nearby at the moment, but we hope they will have a Queens outpost someday.  http://bikecoop.nyc

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
 The bike shop on Roosevelt and 70th Street is very accommodating and affordable. We don't ride
high end bikes or go to far but they have been great to work with. I believe they fix lots of street
messengers bikes there too.

Offline eb112

• Tourist
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 07:20:06 PM »
Wonderful! I'll keep an eye on Mechanical Gardens Bike Co-op, and will make sure to pay a visit to the bike shop at 70th and Roosevelt.

Thanks for your replies!

Offline Marco

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
I'm afraid I don't know about a community bike shop.

I recommend Atlixc Bicycle (72nd St and Roosevelt Av).
He's a nice guy in there. I've used him for labour and small jobs only (repairing flats when I don't have the time to get my hands dirty or do it as quick as him, change gear cables (which I don't know how to properly do), and fix up something with my pannier.

I've always found him reasonable and nice.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »