Author Topic: Family-friendly co-op gardens in Jackson Heights  (Read 2496 times)

Offline lrh2309

• Tourist
Family-friendly co-op gardens in Jackson Heights
« on: May 31, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
Hi all, we are interested in looking at some of the neighborhood co-ops with private gardens. I have heard that some are more family-friendly than others. Does anyone have advice or experience with this? Thank you in advance.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
Re: Family-friendly co-op gardens in Jackson Heights
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:51:41 PM »
Every coop development has a different policy, so you will have to do a good bit of research. There is one thing you must understand and that is there have to be certain rules in shared gardens because for one thing, there are liability issues. For example, in our complex children are allowed to play on the grass but no ball playing is ever allowed, because someone could get hurt, and then all of us could get sued. It happened once that a father holding an infant was hit by a ball thrown by an older child. The baby could have been hit instead of the dad--it's just dangerous, and because we don't want to have to police every single type of ball, we ban any and all balls from the garden, as well as bike riding or putting furniture on the grass--the latter because we want the grass to remain healthy.

Plus--it's a shared space, and the rules must be there to protect everyone's interests, not just families with children. It's a garden and not a playground, and there are many residents who might want to work or read or just relax in quiet in the garden, and they have just as much of a right to quiet enjoyment of the garden as parents do to play with their kids in the garden.

That said, the children do run around and play, and parents relax on the grass with their kids, have picnics, etc, and it's a wonderful thing. The biggest issue we have is that the kids tend to scream a lot as they run around, and that bothers a lot of residents. So there is an effort to get parents to tell their kids to keep it down. Also, kids are not to trample on the flowers or climb the trees, for reasons that should be obvious. We try to accommodate everyone's needs while keeping the garden in beautiful shape, with professional help. I understand there are coops that are looser with garden rules, and also still one or two that ban access to the grass entirely. I think our policies are great and result in the most value for everyone. Also in our complex, each house has its own patio area, and those are not subject to the garden regulations, for example, you can have a party in your own patio area and you can barbecue--things you can't do in the shared garden.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 05:07:31 PM »
Ljr's summary is pretty accurate. It varies quite a bit from building to building, so it's best to ask and research the specific complex you're interested in.

Some specific tips: Dunolly Gardens is pretty open to garden use (theirs is more of a park); the Belvedere even has a playground. Elm Ct or Linden Ct keep their gardens for visual enjoyment.

Good luck!

Offline JHMNY

• Global Moderator
  • Council Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:45:44 PM »
Some specific tips: Dunolly Gardens is pretty open to garden use (theirs is more of a park);

I bumped into a friend earlier today who lives at the Dunolly Gardens. He did mention that they have a liberal garden policy. His apartment windows face the garden, so he was complaining about noise, particularly while children are playing.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 06:45:09 PM »
There is a building on 85 Street between 37/35th avenue across from Roosevelt Terrace that appears child friendly. They have a large outdoor playspace with lot's of ride on toys and I believe some benches.

Offline earbears

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 09:51:06 PM »
The playground is part of Roosevelt Terrace Coop. We upgraded the playground 2 years ago with a super structure and a rubber floor. There are extra toddler toys that are brough out for the warm weather. It is a fenced area and only shareholders have the key. It is a very safe and great place for kids to play. There are benches for parents and kids.

BTW I raide my son in the coop and is was really great. BTW, each apartment has a terrace.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »
 If you look back some years ago on JH Life, you will see that this idea of kids playing in the
private gardens was thought to NEVER be able to change. BUT it has! And there are many co-ops
that are kid friendly now. This increases our usable park space by a lot even though these spots
are only open to the residents and their guests, it impacts the park usage as a whole. Along with
the new Travers, the IS145 play area, the St. Marks area, the playgrounds near Junction - Louis
Armstrong school and the area behind PS94? on 34th Ave, the small play field on 34th and 74th,
we have lots of smaller areas now to get outside. Are they perfect? No, but we have lots of choices
and continue to make new ones.

Noted - the new elementary school on 34th has a rooftop play space which is pretty popular
in Manhattan.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »
I live in a garden apartment building.

What I have noticed since I got here, is that just as most apartment owners are becoming more kids-focused, so is the garden.

And parents with kids have more sway in creating the rules now.

When I first got here it was seniors rule.  But that's changed as seniors move on and the majority of apartments now belong to younger families.

Offline StevenGrey

• Council Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 02:26:33 PM »
In the 12 years I've lived in JH, it is true that many of the coops have relaxed the garden rules with respect to children playing and activities allowed. That being said, most coops would still like to keep the gardens well-maintained and peaceful for all of the surrounding residents. Therefore, there are usually restrictions again allowing children to play unsupervised as well as rules pertaining to noise.

Offline rhydewithdis

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »
Just wanted to point out (and I love JH, having lived there many years) - another very family friendly community is Sunnyside (and borderline Woodside) especially if you are in the zone to join Sunnyside Gardens Park. It is a private park and for a fee, you get access to probably the most amazing place in the five boroughs that parents/kids could have regular access to.
Our three year old can run around there without us having to keep an eye on him like a hawk because there is only one entrance/exit, closed gate and usually a parent volunteer manning it.
Organized sporting activities for kids (soccer, T-ball, basketball), one night to overnight camp in the park and enough BBQ's to use anytime.
Plus, you can enjoy some wine without getting any negative stares (just no glass or glass bottles pls!) =)

https://sunnysidepost.com/sunnyside-gardens-park-membership-in-high-demand

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
i think you're right about the changing demographics, and while i'm between the two generations, i totally welcome the move towards an environment that's more welcoming to children -- and more *fun*.

i only wish my building (which only has a small back garden) would relax its rules. the board (none of them seniors) is very uptight.

I live in a garden apartment building.

What I have noticed since I got here, is that just as most apartment owners are becoming more kids-focused, so is the garden.

And parents with kids have more sway in creating the rules now.

When I first got here it was seniors rule.  But that's changed as seniors move on and the majority of apartments now belong to younger families.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 10:32:02 AM »
The Towers also has some swings in their yard.

Offline katieb718

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 09:54:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know that Dunnoly Gardens and its garden is not a park.  It is a garden, open for everyone and not a playground, either.  Lately there has been a bit of upset over the amount of noise that can occur when people treat it like a park or playground and not a garden. It is the noise that is the issue, not the kids. 
All of us are proud of the diversity in every aspect including age and are proud that so many young families are attracted to Dunnoly but - no matter what some real estate people may say, or no matter what is posted here -it is not a playground or a park. We try very hard to respect everyone's right to enjoy their homes as well as their outdoor space and are struggling to deal with the upset when the noise levels (no matter who is making the noise) or the amount of people gathering and climbing in trees or running through the flower beds and landscaping or having parties that spill into the gardens really gets out of hand.  So please, all are welcome, come but remember to be considerate of all of the neighbors.

Offline Bill

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 02:15:15 PM »
The sound of children playing in the garden has never bothered me. Adults shouting on cell phones and joggers using the garden path as their personal track, running around and around under my windows, are another matter.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
The noise of children playing can become really unpleasant if the playing involves screaming--as it often does--and large groups of older children.  It's not just the pitter patter of little feet and voices.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »