Author Topic: Best Supermarket?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline cannedgreats

• Tourist
Best Supermarket?
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:56:22 PM »
I'm new to Jackson Heights and wondering what the preferred supermarkets and/or groceries are and the ones to avoid. I feel like there are so many, and I'm willing to walk for a place with variety and fair prices! Thoughts?

Offline Ms. Jackson

• Activist
  • I am for real
Re: Best Supermarket?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:40:51 AM »
I live in the 70s and stick with Foodtown and Food Dynasty. Neither one are great, but Foodtown is leaps and bounds better than Food Dynasty. Check expiration dates EVERYWHERE. Best produce can be found at the produce stands (Growing Farm, Lemon Farm, Kim's Brother). I usually have to stop at a couple stores to get everything needed on my weekly grocery list.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 08:47:07 AM »
Unfortunately I can't really think of a best supermarket in Jackson Heights. None of them are that great. I also like produce shops mentioned above, and I do pick up a few things like bread and eggs at the organic Downtown Natural Market (they have great prices on eggs). I buy yogurt, apples, and turkey at the Farmer's Market on Sunday. Besides that I find myself more and more just picking things up at Traders Joes in Manhattan when I happen to be there. I'm also in Astoria regularly so I pick up seafood, meat and produce at the little shops on 30th Ave.

If you have a car, you can check out the Food Bazaar on Northern Blvd.

Online jh35

• Council Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 09:10:51 AM »
I live in the 70s and stick with Foodtown and Food Dynasty. Neither one are great, but Foodtown is leaps and bounds better than Food Dynasty. Check expiration dates EVERYWHERE. Best produce can be found at the produce stands (Growing Farm, Lemon Farm, Kim's Brother). I usually have to stop at a couple stores to get everything needed on my weekly grocery list.

I boycott Food Dynasty since they fired their union employees on xmas eve years ago.  It could be 5 years ago. As someone here said, that was a long time ago, give it a rest. It is a bad store anyway. Food Dynasty is owned by Key Food. (The people at Food Dynasty are also very careless. Months ago they nearly killed someone as he rode his bike next to the store. He was struck by a fork lift.)

There is a Stop and Shop at 34-51 48th Street, Long Island City, NY 11104. I have gone there by Uber.

Foodtown is ok. I guess, given their limited space, they do the best they can.

The activists in the neighborhood do not like national and maybe regional chains. They have a hissy fit if anyone wants to open a decent store. 

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 09:15:46 AM »
I have always found Target supermarket departments not bad at all throughout NYC.

If we're lucky, we will get that choice here soon.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 11:04:27 AM »
Welcome to the neighborhood! 

I prefer Foodtown to the Food Dynasty across the street. They both have had issues with how they treat their employees. There are a lot of smaller South Asian supermarkets in the low 70s and a few of them are open 24 hours. I go to the one that just expanded pretty often (73rd and 37th).

We have a great farmer's market on Sundays. It's year round and is near Travers Park - 34th Street and 79th/80th streets.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
Besides whole foods and trader joes, we go to stop and shop off northern blvd and 48 street. They carry a wide variety of items and have parking. Foodtown is ok for produce although I usually shop at the fruit markets along 37th avenue for very reasonable produce.

Offline jadasie

• Activist
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 01:11:00 PM »
Food Bazaar on Northern and 42nd is my favorite in the "area," but it really helps if you have a car. Otherwise I go to the Key Food (formerly Compare) on 86th and Northern. Like others mentioned, produce is probably best gotten at the small greengrocers in the area (Kim's Brother, Lemon Farm, etc).

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
I may be the dissenting opinion here but I am alright with the shops and products available in our neighborhood. I tend to shop at MetFoods/Foodtown -- after years of being a Trade Fair/now Food Dynasty customer and loving it, I too stopped going there after they replaced the staff. MetFoods is working hard on diversifying their offerings, and I find most things there or at Lemon Farm that I need and can't get from the greenmarket. I also shop frequently at Mi Tierras (on Roosevelt more than on Northern), as they have a fantastic selection of Latin products. I love Pacific too. I'd never shop at Target but I second the small greengrocers as mentioned by others.

Offline FreyaG

• Tourist
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »
A vote for MiTierra here. There is one on Roosevelt and 86th and another on Northern and 81st. The second one has fish. Both have a much larger variety of fruit and veggies and better prices than Foodtown.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »
i second the recommendation for Foodtown. the managers there are trying to broaden the offerings -- fresh squeezed juices, Ample Hills ice cream, a nice selection of better quality meats -- and they're very receptive to suggestions. avoid Food Dynasty at all costs.

Offline jeanette

• Mayor
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
I am really glad that the Downtown Natural Market is in the upper 80s, close to where I regularly shop. I also shop at C-Town at 86th and 37th. It is clean, not crowded, with low prices (metfoods is comparatively expensive), and the manager, Pablo, is a particularly good soul.

Enjoy exploring your new neighborhood and grocer options.

~Jeanette

Offline jsh

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »
I mostly shop at the Key Foods at Northern and 86th but if I'm driving, I might go to Food Universe on 31st Ave (terrible and expensive produce there though often) or the awesome Best Market in Northern Astoria (in addition to the Stop and Shop and Food Bazaar already mentioned).  Best Market also had the benefit of being across the street from Singlecut brewery!

Offline cannedgreats

• Tourist
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 07:51:07 PM »
Thanks all for your suggestions!

Offline r

• Tourist
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 01:43:35 AM »
Surprised that Patel Brothers wasn't mentioned yet. It's pretty great.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 01:43:35 AM »