Author Topic: Commuting from Jackson Heights to midtown  (Read 2660 times)

Offline JHHD

• Resident
Re: Commuting from Jackson Heights to midtown
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:57 PM »
I second the idea that biking in NYC is very dangerous and I think people are crazy to do it. You can get, yes, killed, or paralyzed for life--I've known of people that happened to. Is it really worth it? I know lots of people think so, but I just don't see how it's worth risking your life.
Lots of people get killed driving or riding in cars but that probably doesn't stop you from riding in one.

Offline MrPlaza

• Council Member
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »
Biking in NYC requires the same ingredients as driving in NYC: Safety + Confidence. Be safe, but don’t pussyfoot around or else you’ll put yourself in danger. I’ve ridden numerous times from my old place in LIC to SoHo. The only danger is in getting to work smelly from the workout.

Jokes aside, a lot of it has to do with confidence and sure-footedness on the pedals. If you are scared of the “what if,” then you shouldn’t do it.

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 11:44:34 AM »
I'm just curious how long it takes to ride a bike to lower manhattan! I work near Wall Street and it seems like it would be a really long trip.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 02:46:52 PM »
Trouble is, you can follow safe practices but you can't make anyone else do so. And no question in my mind that biking through city traffic is more dangerous than driving a car in the city. So the "people get killed riding in cars" argument doesn't convince me.

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
I bike from Jackson Heights to Gantry Park in Long Island City quite a bit.  I think that's a pretty long trip.  I can't imagine the extra jaunt into midtown....or Wall Street.....and then working!  All I want to do after that ride is sit in the sun.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
Depending on traffic, etc., it's usually about 50 minutes door-to-door for me to get to Lower Manhattan from JH on my bike. 

Offline hum@njukebox1

• Activist
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2019, 09:18:00 PM »
I must be really slow (my bike is almost 30 years old too), but it took me 50 minutes to get to Gantry Park in Long Island City today.  I bike through Astoria......maybe there's a quicker way?

Offline noslouch

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »
I bike to spring and varick and it takes me about an hour. Twice as long as my previous commute from brooklyn, but still better than running for the E train at Roosevelt!

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2019, 02:08:09 PM »