Author Topic: Commuting from Jackson Heights to midtown  (Read 2557 times)

Offline lfpt

• Tourist
Commuting from Jackson Heights to midtown
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Greetings. Moving to JH soon, somewhere close to the intersection of Junction and Northern Boulevards. What's the fastest and most consistent way to get to midtown? Walk to Junction Blvd for the 7 express, or take the Q49 to Jackson Heights for the E? Or something else? I see there's a Q72, but it looks like it doesn't run too frequently at rush hour. I work between Port Authority and Bryant Park, so the 7, E, and F make no difference. They're all about the same walk. Thanks for your help!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
Re: Commuting from Jackson Heights to midtown
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
i live at the western end of the neighborhood, so i'm not the best barometer, but definitely no bus.

if you're going to 42nd, the 7 would seem like your best bet. getting on at junction would give you a quick trip on the 7 and most likely a seat. if you pick up the E at Roosevelt (my usual route to work in Tribeca), you'll probably stand a good bit of the time.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »
The Q66 runs from Northern Blvd & Junction to Queens Plaza where you can switch to 7, N, Q.  I'm not certain how long this would take considering its stops 30 times versus walking to the #7 train on Roosevelt or taking the bus to 74 Street.  Consider taking all three and see which one works best. 

Offline JHResident

• Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 07:00:14 PM »
The Q66 runs from Northern Blvd & Junction to Queens Plaza where you can switch to 7, N, Q.
Half of the Q66 busses do not go past the Northern Boulevard R/M stop, so you either have to wait for the next bus or like most people take the R or the M. The other bus option is the Q32 on 82nd St, which meanders its way to 3rd Ave and Midtown, eventually. If you're not in a hurry, these are good options if you want to sit and read a book, since you will have about an hour long commute. I'll take the bus sometimes to decompress. The E and F are the quickest options from 74th and Roosevelt, but you'll be much closer to the 7 Express, which would be as quick if there weren't congestion delays constantly. The 49 bus is on 90th and comes fairly often after 6 AM, and usually goes fairly quickly since no one moves to the back and the bus bypasses most stops after it reaches 35th Ave, but you can also get blocked by Sanitation trucks and school busses.
I think you'll find walking to the 7 the least stressful and generally quickest route, but one of the best things about JH is that there are so many public transportation options nearby.

Offline bellabella

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:40:23 PM »
I would definitely take the 7. I've commuted from the high 80's, low 80's and now from the 74 st station. You have an advantage because it will probably be less crowded and possibly get a seat. I couldn't imagine taking a bus that long to get to a packed (like sardines) train station. I think Junction blvd is an express stop too (74 street is not) Either way its nice to have options!

Offline Ecrivain

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 11:45:15 PM »
The 7, especially express, is your clear choice here. Overall the 7 is rated best line in the system, per Straphangers Campaign, and I believe has the highest frequency. You have the great advantage of the express at Junction. And the buses are excruciating: slow, crowded, overheated, and seen only in packs, as if fearful of traveling alone. Taking the 7, by contrast, gives you a one-seat ride all the way to work. No contest.

PS--If you find yourself coming home on the E, F, M or R sometime I think the Q49 would work for you, right out of the Roosevelt station, or of course you could change for the 7 right there.

Offline JH3525

• Council Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 06:57:23 AM »
The more that I think about it, it appears that the best commute would be taking the #7 Express at Junction Blvd and avoiding buses. 

Offline wellbeings77

• Tourist
  • New to neighborhood; Personal mind-body coach
    • Mind-Body Instruction
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 09:20:38 PM »
I moved here a few months ago and teach in the City daily. I live near 82nd st 7 but rarely use it. I almost always use E/F even on weekends when they run locally.
I adore the 49 bus and take it home from 74th st most evenings. It is always mobbed from 8 am to midnight, or so I've found. I'm old, so I do get a seat!
If you're going to Bryant Park, take the F, as it is quick (weekdays, anyway). I actually took the LIRR from Penn Station today to 61 st and switched to the 7 from there. It was fun as a change of scene! And fast!
Yoga/Mind Body professional back in the area, seeking students wishing private, semi-private or small group sessions in their or my home on 35th Avenue.

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »
Last year I started riding my bike to work in Manhattan and I love it.  I'm only being slightly dramatic when I say that it has been life changing.  It's great exercise and has completely removed all the stress and hassle of crowded, late subways and busses.

I'm lucky that my workplace has a secure bike room where I can leave my bike.  I also have a gym membership so I can take a shower (and workout.)  I still take the subway when the weather is bad.

I realize it's not for everybody, but I never thought I could do it until I tried it.  Now I can't imagine going back to daily MTA commuting.

(And by the way, when can we get CitiBike in JH?  We need it!)

Offline Jeffsayyes

• Mayor
    • Jeffrey Tastes
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 10:22:39 PM »

PLEASE - Maybe if they didn't have a monopoly on bike share and maybe Melinda Katz gave a crap about it. It would completely open up the neighborhood.

Offline am315

• Activist
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
ShinukuBaby...what route do you take?

Offline ShinjukuBaby

• Activist
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2019, 08:13:10 AM »
I work in Lower Manhattan, so I take Greenpoint Ave down to Williamsburg Bridge and then under the FDR (with some twists and turns on the way).  Google maps is actually quite good for mapping bike routes.  It should give you directions that will maximize your time traveling in bike lanes for any trip.

Offline theplanesland

• Mayor
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 10:04:12 AM »
Last year I started riding my bike to work in Manhattan and I love it.  I'm only being slightly dramatic when I say that it has been life changing.  It's great exercise and has completely removed all the stress and hassle of crowded, late subways and busses.

I'm lucky that my workplace has a secure bike room where I can leave my bike.  I also have a gym membership so I can take a shower (and workout.)  I still take the subway when the weather is bad.

I realize it's not for everybody, but I never thought I could do it until I tried it.  Now I can't imagine going back to daily MTA commuting.

I would love to do this, but honestly, I am terrified that I would die. Being in the middle of a street with NYC drivers in cars makes me think I would die in 10 minutes tops. Someone doesn't pay attention in their big black Town Car for ten seconds and you're a smear of blood and broken bones. How do you handle that?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »
theplanesland just expressed my thoughts pretty much a word for word. a bike ride in a park, or along the water? yay! a commute through rush hour traffic? not in a million years. and not just because i'm aging: i wouldn't have been able to pull it off at 25. cheers to you for being able to -- and doing good for your health and the environment in the process.

Offline ljr

• Council Member
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »
I second the idea that biking in NYC is very dangerous and I think people are crazy to do it. You can get, yes, killed, or paralyzed for life--I've known of people that happened to. Is it really worth it? I know lots of people think so, but I just don't see how it's worth risking your life.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 03:07:39 PM »