Author Topic: Frozen meals from Indian grocers  (Read 1482 times)

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Frozen meals from Indian grocers
« on: December 09, 2019, 09:22:00 AM »
Does anyone here buy frozen entrees from the Indian grocery stores? Is there a brand you can recommend?

I think the Indian food at Trader Joe's is actually quite good, and I recently read that it's just a rebranding/repackaging of a popular brand at Indian grocery stores, so I thought I could find something similar around here, possibly with more options than Trader Joe's has.

Offline carrefour_ny

• Mayor
Re: Frozen meals from Indian grocers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
Yes, I have in the past. I think I've tried Shah's line of products, and they are fine.

Offline KGDHP

• Activist
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 12:30:03 PM »
Does anyone here buy frozen entrees from the Indian grocery stores? Is there a brand you can recommend?

I think the Indian food at Trader Joe's is actually quite good, and I recently read that it's just a rebranding/repackaging of a popular brand at Indian grocery stores, so I thought I could find something similar around here, possibly with more options than Trader Joe's has.

Yes! Patel has a great variety and selection of items in their frozen section. I've had really great luck there!

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »
Udupi is my favorite (strictly vegetarian) and Swad is really good as well.

Offline itsit

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 10:06:52 AM »
 Thanks for this as we buy a lot of the TJs Indian food and would rather go to the source if possible
Can I ask what you recommend from Swad?

Offline Lilybell

• Mayor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
Just be forewarned most of them are pretty spicy! Even the ones that you wouldn't expect, like Chicken Makhani. Especially the Swad brand.

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
This is what I ended up getting. I'm not even sure I saw the brands listed above, but could be because the aisle was huge and I got distracted by the first two sections.

The only one I've tried so far is the tikka masala. I would just note that it's pricey compared to Trader Joe's. A single serving is $4.99 and TJ's is $3.69 and I didn't taste a quality difference.

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 09:38:02 AM »
i normally get vegetarian stuff, and that can be as low as $1.99 for a serving, though they're usually $2.99. hope you enjoy(ed) what you got!

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
i normally get vegetarian stuff, and that can be as low as $1.99 for a serving, though they're usually $2.99. hope you enjoy(ed) what you got!

Thanks! I got all chicken dishes and the one I tried so far was excellent.

Offline Liz

• Council Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:30 AM »
I like the samosas and dosas often take them to parties.  I usually buy Swad but I've liked everything I've found at Patel and I like going there and trying new items.  There is a little more spice than Traders products.

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 06:46:30 AM »