Author Topic: Constant airplane noise?  (Read 900 times)

Offline indesign

• Tourist
Constant airplane noise?
« on: April 29, 2019, 08:27:01 AM »
I've lived in lower JH for nearly 2 years now and have experienced the excessive weekend plane noise when they've closed a runway for maintenance and the less excessive noise when the weather is bad. However, I've noticed over the past week or so that there is plane noise all the time. It's the bad weather noise level not the runway closure level. Has anyone else noticed this?

Offline Shelby2

• Global Moderator
  • Mayor
Re: Constant airplane noise?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:50:21 AM »
I haven’t noticed, but I live above 80th St. and perhaps it’s happening lower down. Have you checked web track to see if you can figure out the pattern? Use the historical search option to input a date and time when you noticed it, and then just watch for a few minutes. Check noise monitors and also which flights seem to be causing the noise. https://webtrak.emsbk.com/panynj4

It might be easier to use on a computer than a phone.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 09:59:37 AM »
LGA is undergoing a 4 billion dollar renovation. They are going to want to get their money's worth.

This story below shows they are looking for different flight patterns.

https://qns.com/story/2018/12/10/faa-begin-oversight-laguardia-flight-patterns-noise-abatement/

The truth is there are 360 degrees around LGA. My question is, in the interest of fairness, will Manhattan share some of the burden of new flight patterns?

Offline dssjh

• Mayor
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 10:10:09 AM »
living at 76th and 35th, i hadn't noticed the noise (and definitely get it on runway closure days). but when out doing errands and such, i feel like i've been *seeing* a lot more planes over the lower 70s.

i'm guessing that manhattan will remain exempt from the annoyance, for worse and worse. the bronx and queens -- all the areas around LGA -- will get socked the most. it's *definitely* worth complaining, but money seems to talk louder than voices when it comes to dealing with the powers that be.

Offline abcdefghijk

• Mayor
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »
A map of new flight patterns and the areas affected was released maybe 18 months ago. (?)  I recall posting it on this forum.

From memory, lower Jackson Heights was included and the affected area was enlarged in that flight pattern map so it makes sense concerning airport noise now.

Just saying, I did envision the problem then...

Jackson Heights Life

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »